Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're planning some long trips in our 2009 Sonata Limited with three drivers and would like to create a sleeping area by lowering the rear seat and allowing the sleeper to extend their legs into the trunk. But some type of matress, pADDING, OR CUSHIONING IS NECESSARY TO smooth out the seat to trunk ridge or lip. Any suggestions? Any accessories? Pillows is obviously one possibility but something like a fitted foam cushion would be better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haven't thought of doing this with a car, but I did have a scenario similar with Camper where the mattress was missing from the dinette that converted into a bed.

We bought a good quality memory foam (estimating the Sonata trunk) you will likely need a queen size.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Better-2-Inch-...6618&sr=8-3

It was much easier in a large open area to cut... but if your able to keep it still, you should be able to score the top with a utility knife for the outline. (Do not cut it through, you may scratch something, or cut the seat, etc.)

Once it is scored, remove the mattress and cut the mattress out using a heat knife or pair of scissors... a heat knife would work better to not make jagged edges.

If you know anyone who can sew, you could cover the mattress with any material, maybe even find matching leather.

If I can find the picture from the old camper - I will post them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, I would like to hear how it works out for you after your trip.

I have a Sports Authority Sleeping Pad and it works great for me.

I would recommend renting a mini van and fold down third row to make a sleeping area. Then you can use 2nd seat row as a "storage" area for your luggage and stuff. But that's my .02.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (rgk3 @ Apr 20 2010, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315175
We're planning some long trips in our 2009 Sonata Limited with three drivers and would like to create a sleeping area by lowering the rear seat and allowing the sleeper to extend their legs into the trunk. But some type of matress, pADDING, OR CUSHIONING IS NECESSARY TO smooth out the seat to trunk ridge or lip. Any suggestions? Any accessories? Pillows is obviously one possibility but something like a fitted foam cushion would be better.
There is a WARNING in the Manual not to do this. The Sonata is not a Bed, and applying pressure to the folded seats, while is seems

like it can be OK should not be done :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts