Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently took my my 2010 Hyundai i10 to the mechanics for an oil and filter change. The engine has some sludge buildup, and the mechanic told me that is was absolutely necessary to do an engine flush, and complete cleaning of the motor, which involved disassembling certain areas and manually cleaning them.

I had the service done, and a few days later the car started leaking a large amount of oil from somewhere above the starter. I took the car back tot he mechanic, and neither him nor I could locate exactly where the leak was coming from.

I called a frind of mine and he told me that in certain cases, if a flushing is not done correctly, it can damage the rings, seals and gaskets. i mentioned this to the mechanic, and he told me that the flushing had nothing to do with the current leak.

Also, in speaking more with the mechanic that worked on my car, I learned that he never did the complete manual clean of the motor, to which I paid $110 to do.

Nontheless, the mechanic refuses to take any responsibility for the damage tothec car. he is telling me that possibly the flush damaged the retainer, and that I would need to pay himan additionall $300 to fix it.

today i found a Technical service bulletin from hyundai (bulletin # 09-EM-001) which warns against flushing because it can cause damage to internal engine components, including engine seals and bearings.

Has anyone here ever had a similar experience or have any knowledge regarding my situation? any help is appreciated.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
That is not good. What procedure did your mechanic use to flush the engine? I assume they just connected it to a machine of some sort. A popular system is the BG engine flush

Did the mechanic use the correct weight and amount of oil after the flush? Leaks can sometimes be caused by using the wrong oil. What does your invoice say exactly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The invoice says "motor flush" and "motor filter flush". He did mention before the service was started that he would be using a machine to do the flushing.

In reading a little more on the topic, I've seen people say that certain after market flushing products are too harsh for Hyundai engines, and that only tested and approved flushing agents should be used.

Not sure what kind of damage I'm looking at here. I hope it's not to grave. I'm especially concerned, because the mechanic has been and will undoubtedly make every argument regarding the cause of the leak other than what I consider to be the most obvious, that he did not follow the correct procedure, and or did not use the correct flushing agent.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its quite complicated situation. But as per I can think, the problem is that the mechanic didn't use the right procedure for the flushing that caused come open area to let the oil out.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Until you find the source or the leak it is difficult to point a finger at the cause. internal damage from a flush would not results in a leak, burning maybe but not a leak. Most probably a seal or gasket got blown or damaged but you have to find the source. Some dye and black light should find it but get a mechanic you can trust to find it. If it runs well then most probably a seal or gasket

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the moral of the story is don't waste your money on unnecessary and useless services like an engine flush. they have no place in the automotive world and are nothing short of a scam. yes, they can damage components like seals which is probably exactly what has happened here.

i'd be going to another mechanic to have this assessed, and then taking that clown to small claims court. if he damaged the engine in any way he is liable by law. also you paid him for something not done. there's 2 strikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I flushed a car engine years ago by draining the old oil out when warm & replacing with Flushing oil & run it for a few minutes but do not drive it, after the flushing oil is drained to remove any sludge, after replace with the recommended oil to the correct level,it did not need any power flushing.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I flushed a car engine years ago by draining the old oil out when warm & replacing with Flushing oil & run it for a few minutes but do not drive it, after the flushing oil is drained to remove any sludge, after replace with the recommended oil to the correct level,it did not need any power flushing.
I did that with a 5 year old Corolla with 188,000 miles and the oil pressure never came back to normal. :(

Ran the car another year and 40,000 miles and then got my GTS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts