Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked Map-n-Soft to see if there was a map update for the Azera. There wasn't. I decided to enter a chat with a representative and see when the next update was due out. They advised August - October 2014.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked today to see when an update would be out for the 2012 Azera. They reported it would be in February 2014.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I checked today to see when an update would be out for the 2012 Azera. They reported it would be in February 2014.
Did they say anything about the cost ($200?) I understand its on a flash drive, but takes an hour or so to upload which means it probably should be done during a road trip instead of the dealership (to save the battery)?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Spoke to someone at map-n-soft and they said the update will be late January early February. No price is set so I don't know where this $200 upgrade came from.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The MnSOFT price for a map upgrade for the 2011 Azera is $299. The upgrade for the 2012 Sonata or Santa Fe is $199. So, it is feasible that the upgrade for the 2012+ Azera will be from $199 to $299.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Map 'n Soft had updates for the 2011 Sonata for a time at $99. The update reportedly also fixed some bugs in the NAV and voice recognition system; for example the Last Name, First Name calling was fixed. The bad news was that they also created a new bug that eliminated the outside temp. They eventually fixed that and gave that update free to people who had purchased the buggy update.

I was considering getting the update, but then I decided to trade the Sonata for the Azera around the time they had finally fixed the software.

I agree that $200-$300 is quite expensive for an update. At $99 I'll do it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can get my Tom Tom updated for under $100 bucks. Roads are alway changing $200 bucks for an upgrade on a car that I already paid $32,500 is too expensive and for me not worth the upgrade. Hyundai should give us one upgrade for free.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Map 'n Soft had updates for the 2011 Sonata for a time at $99. The update reportedly also fixed some bugs in the NAV and voice recognition system; for example the Last Name, First Name calling was fixed. The bad news was that they also created a new bug that eliminated the outside temp. They eventually fixed that and gave that update free to people who had purchased the buggy update.

I was considering getting the update, but then I decided to trade the Sonata for the Azera around the time they had finally fixed the software.

I agree that $200-$300 is quite expensive for an update. At $99 I'll do it.
I also owned a 2011 Sonata. I purchased two updates. Both were $199. The first update required that the vehicle be running during the update (about an hour). The second didn't require the car to be running, and took about 45 minutes. In addition to the $199 price for the update, Map-n-Soft also charges $20 for the USB stick the update comes on. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also owned a 2011 Sonata. I purchased two updates. Both were $199. The first update required that the vehicle be running during the update (about an hour). The second didn't require the car to be running, and took about 45 minutes. In addition to the $199 price for the update, Map-n-Soft also charges $20 for the USB stick the update comes on. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous!
Agree!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Really no reason to charge 200 bucks for a map update. The GPS was included in the price of the car updates should be more cost effective. $200 bucks is excessive. Sounds like a gouge!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Really no reason to charge 200 bucks for a map update. The GPS was included in the price of the car updates should be more cost effective. $200 bucks is excessive. Sounds like a gouge!
The reason updates are so expensive has to do with the way map data is obtained. The major map suppliers, like NAVTEQ and TomTom, provide the raw data, but each navigation supplier has to integrate that data into their own mapping software. If they are selling millions of similar products, ie. Garmin, Magellan, etc. then the economies of scale allow low-cost or no-cost upgrades. That is why, regardless of model, most Garmin handhelds have exactly the same navigation screens and features. In the auto industry, manufacturers insist on making each make and model's navigation unique, and they change things every few years to make it appear new. That makes it a lot more expensive because they don't get the economies of scale that would be possible with more standardized navigation. In the automotive aftermarket, navigation systems use the same nav software regardless of what kind of vehicle the unit is sold for. There, map upgrades are around $80 per year, more in line with what Garmin charges for the units that do not come with lifetime upgrades.

This problem is worsened by the fact that automotive products are priced much higher than their intrinsic worth. For example, a good aftermarket AM/FM/Cassette radio for a car may cost $100-200, but a similar basic radio from an auto manufacturer can cost $500+. I don't know if that is just greed, or has to do the the number of unique systems sold.

What auto manufacturers can do is standardize their navigation systems so the cost of map data is amortized over a much greater number of installations. But, unless their is pressure from a large number of customers, there is no incentive to do so. Most people I have asked, including dealers and Hyundai representatives, have no idea what it cost to upgrade the maps. Many think it is free. So, I doubt there is any market pressure to make map upgrades cheaper.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It doesn't help things that the factory navigation units are usually not as fully featured as the handheld and smartphone units. A typical Android app, which costs $0-$50 and includes lifetime software and map upgrades, has a 3D map view with 3D buildings on the map, 10+ million POIs, speed limit warnings and integration with a PC so you can upload your own POIs and routes created on your PC. Auto manufacturers need to catch up with these features.

It also doesn't help that Consumer Reports surveyed car owners to find out why so many reported problems with their multimedia navigation systems. That article is in their current print issue.

·
22,793 Posts
These prices that you guys are throwing out sure make a Garmin seem quite attractive, huh? How many times do you go somewhere that you are not familiar with the locale? Makes me appreciate what my iPhone app provides for free, even more.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This article sums up the different choices (factory, aftermarket, portable, smartphone) for navigation, and their pros and cons: Should I Buy a Car's Factory Navigation System?.

I am currently deciding between the Base and Limited 2014 models and one of the notable differences is the Limited comes with navigation. I currently use CoPilot Premium USA on a 5" Android tablet (it is full featured and excellent) and will either continue to use it, or I may spring for the Limited model if the new 8" version in the 2014 is a real upgrade from the current system. Some of the other upgrades available on the Limited are of some value to me (memory seats, better audio) but it will take a good navigation system to make enough of a difference for me to choose the additional $3,750 cost of the Limited.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This article sums up the different choices (factory, aftermarket, portable, smartphone) for navigation, and their pros and cons: Should I Buy a Car's Factory Navigation System?.

I am currently deciding between the Base and Limited 2014 models and one of the notable differences is the Limited comes with navigation. I currently use CoPilot Premium USA on a 5" Android tablet (it is full featured and excellent) and will either continue to use it, or I may spring for the Limited model if the new 8" version in the 2014 is a real upgrade from the current system. Some of the other upgrades available on the Limited are of some value to me (memory seats, better audio) but it will take a good navigation system to make enough of a difference for me to choose the additional $3,750 cost of the Limited.
Go for the top of the line.... it appears that you keep your car for a long time so enjoy all the goodies .... remember you only live once so go for it :=)
I have found that the software for the Nav on my 2012 is very good and thats after several long distance trips

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 2011 I purchased a Sante Fe with the in-car Navigation System. The day we drove the car off the lot the maps were out of date. I contacted the dealership and was told it would automatically update. Two years later we asked again and were told we had to pay $200 to have the maps updated. Now, the car is 3-years-old and the navigation system is so bad it is dangerous. We don’t even turn it on. For $200, we purchased a Garmin with free lifetime map updates. So we now drive a Sante Fe, with a built in navigation system, and a Garmin attached to the windshield. Friends are shocked at what we have had to do.

Why is Hyundai doing this to their customers? I tried to speak to Hyundai Customer Connect System “Lead’ Laura who gave me nothing but attitude. How outrageous to charge what you do for the system, then expect us to pay $200 each time it needs to be updated. Are you crazy???

I’m done with Hyundai. Oh yea, did I mention that the Sante Fe was my third, and now last, Hyundai purchase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts