Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer, I don't own a 2020 Sonata. I own a 2020 Palisade, which gets the same update. The 2020 Sonata already had some of these features, so this may not all be new to you.

The update will be available on April 27. For some reason, there is no download option. It must be sent via USB. It's $25. I can tell you from experience on my 2012 Hyundai that map updates without a Blue Link subscription are $145, so I suppose $25 isn't too bad. Weird that it can't be downloaded though.

The list of features is now out and it's a huge update: https://storage.googleapis.com/mapc...14.0/pdf/Hyundai_V14_New_Map_Features_U5W.pdf
Page 2 to 15 are the updates for this new version. Later pages are updates that were in the previous version.

Of particular note: weather via connected services, which should solve the complaints resulting from only relying on HD radio for weather. Also, cover art on media screen and ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens.

Other changes (besides map data):
  • Route now computed in the cloud (if connected services active)
  • New map display and easy to add POI display on map
  • Current speed shown on screen
  • Added list of world's top 1,000 best restaurants
  • Ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens
  • Search by distance, name or best match
  • When stopped for more than 15s, the route overview comes on
  • When searching for electric vehicle charging stations, brand icons are shown, as well as AC or DC (before anyone asks, this update is for PHEV and EV Hyundai models too, not just the Palisade, so this is why that is a documented feature)
  • Search for gas station by price (if connected services active)
  • New map color themes
  • Notification pop-up if map data older than 2 years
  • Weather info (if connected services active)
  • Alert upcoming red light cameras & alert upcoming speed cameras w/ speed limit (if connected services active)
  • Better media playback
  • Cover art on advanced GUI on media screen
  • Custom select multi-selection playback (album/artist)
  • Sound of Nature (I know the 2020 Sonata already has that)
  • Split screen with CarPlay or AA

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
464 Posts
I just need a moment to be annoyed by the fact I have to pay for my "free" map update.

Otherwise, I hope the new color scheme means I can choose something other than brown for a lot of the interface. Brown? Why?

Thanks for posting this, interesting.

Side question - Does this bring the Sonata and Palisade in line now in terms of media unit software?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just need a moment to be annoyed by the fact I have to pay for my "free" map update.

Otherwise, I hope the new color scheme means I can choose something other than brown for a lot of the interface. Brown? Why?

Thanks for posting this, interesting.

Side question - Does this bring the Sonata and Palisade in line now in terms of media unit software?
Follow the link to the PDF, it has examples of the new themes.

Regarding the version of the software, yes, I believe the 2 cars willwill now have the same capabilities.

And yeah, it’s weird that we have to pay for this one and we can’t download it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
waze has this beat all to heck. i believe this is the same(here) system that was on the pioneer i installed on the car traded in. the updates were like 170, and there were 3 or 4 each year. in our area, there is a lot of new construction, and here was WAAAAY behind. waze is about 6 months behind, and i think waze is updating a lot faster. and, of course, waze is free. my biggest complaint is that here maps street names are just too tiny. the names are also on the actual street, so they kind of blend in, making them even more difficult to read. then, based on speed, the map zooms out way too far. adjusting it larger is only temporary. waze does this, too, BUT, in several increments. so, even zoomed out, waze is about equal to here at the zoomed in view. waze street names are huge, i can easily read them, and they differentiate the larger freeways and highways with larger and darker letters. the wide screen makes it look like waze was designed for it. waze used to give red light camera warnings, but since they got outlawed here in texas, the warnings stopped. no speed cameras in texas. too bad waze is not integrated into the dash or the heads up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waze has this beat all to heck. i believe this is the same(here) system that was on the pioneer i installed on the car traded in. the updates were like 170, and there were 3 or 4 each year. in our area, there is a lot of new construction, and here was WAAAAY behind. waze is about 6 months behind, and i think waze is updating a lot faster. and, of course, waze is free. my biggest complaint is that here maps street names are just too tiny. the names are also on the actual street, so they kind of blend in, making them even more difficult to read. then, based on speed, the map zooms out way too far. adjusting it larger is only temporary. waze does this, too, BUT, in several increments. so, even zoomed out, waze is about equal to here at the zoomed in view. waze street names are huge, i can easily read them, and they differentiate the larger freeways and highways with larger and darker letters. the wide screen makes it look like waze was designed for it. waze used to give red light camera warnings, but since they got outlawed here in texas, the warnings stopped. no speed cameras in texas. too bad waze is not integrated into the dash or the heads up.
Your last point is why this update is useful. Also, the built-in nav is pretty awesome in its own rights. It does provide traffic updates via HD radio as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I use Waze too, but this is good.

And they added other stuff in this update.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Follow the link to the PDF, it has examples of the new themes.

Regarding the version of the software, yes, I believe the 2 cars willwill now have the same capabilities.

And yeah, it’s weird that we have to pay for this one and we can’t download it.
Don't know if the map website has always shown this, but it at least now reflects that a download option will be available in July.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if the map website has always shown this, but it at least now reflects that a download option will be available in July.
Yes but that’s for the next version (v14.5). The version coming out Monday is v14 and can’t be downloaded. Which is very strange.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
if you live in a big city, the factory nav is good. we are out in the suburbs, about 60 mi north of dallas. hd radio is really spotty here. and there is a lot of new construction outside of dallas/ft worth. and free is the best

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you live in a big city, the factory nav is good. we are out in the suburbs, about 60 mi north of dallas. hd radio is really spotty here. and there is a lot of new construction outside of dallas/ft worth. and free is the best
Technically, this is free too. Yes, it's $25 this one time, but that's not normally how it goes.

Yeah, the reliance on HD radio is a problem. Hoping that these new features help (such as computing the route in the cloud), but traffic and construction aren't explicitly mentioned, so it's unclear. Hopefully, the split screen capability with AA/CarPlay allows for both Waze and built-in nav. It would allow for the directions in the HUD. Has anyone tried that on the Sonata? We don't have that capability on the Palisade yet (until we get this update).

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Premium/Sunroof
92 Posts
Always had the nav in my other Sonatas. I guess us second class SEL owners will have to live with what we got. Bluetooth and a few other things would get updated with new map updates, so I guess no updates for us. Oh, well.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
145 Posts
What are "connected services"? Like when it says that connected services must be active I'm not sure what that is exactly.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are "connected services"? Like when it says that connected services must be active I'm not sure what that is exactly.
I assume it means blue link. The head unit isn’t capable of using our cell phones to connect, so I don’t see what else it can be.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
166 Posts
Hopefully, the split screen capability with AA/CarPlay allows for both Waze and built-in nav. It would allow for the directions in the HUD.
Currently on 2020 Sonata, the AA or CarPlay window takes up the left 2/3 of the screen. On the right is a small square (split screen) that you can select one of several items to display (I don't remember what they are).

edit: The options are Clock, Trip Info, Radio, Stock Navigation, AC Info, HD Weather, and a Compass. So yes, you could have the vehicle NAV up right next to Waze.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Currently on 2020 Sonata, the AA or CarPlay window takes up the left 2/3 of the screen. On the right is a small square (split screen) that you can select one of several items to display (I don't remember what they are).

edit: The options are Clock, Trip Info, Radio, Stock Navigation, AC Info, HD Weather, and a Compass. So yes, you could have the vehicle NAV up right next to Waze.
Can you confirm that you still get turn by turn directions from the built-in nav that way though? While Waze is active?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
464 Posts
Can you confirm that you still get turn by turn directions from the built-in nav that way though? While Waze is active?
Are you saying you want both navigation systems available at the same time? built-in doing the turn by turn and then Waze on the side panel?

Is your goal to get the Waze alerts while using the built-in?

Or are you trying to keep the built-in lady on her toes? (that's a joke, but it may fall flat)

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
166 Posts
I tried it this morning and had entered my work address in the stock nav then plugged in my phone and had waze up at the same time. For some reason AA stopped working after a few minutes and wouldn't reconnect. I don't know if it was my phone, cable, or the car. I'll try a different cable

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you saying you want both navigation systems available at the same time? built-in doing the turn by turn and then Waze on the side panel?

Is your goal to get the Waze alerts while using the built-in?

Or are you trying to keep the built-in lady on her toes? (that's a joke, but it may fall flat)
Yes. Although this is more of an experiment that a real need.

I like the built-in nav for several reasons: it shows in the HUD (and I think the instrument cluster, but for some reason, I can't recall right this second). It's also a lot more precise than a phone*: when the car turns, the display turns. With Waze, there's always a slight delay, which can actually be a problem when there are many turns and you're looking for the one you want.

* That may not be true if Waze (or any navigation app) can use the car's GPS when plugged in with CarPlay active. I think Hyundai does share its GPS with the phone, but I'm not positive on that. I do know it is possible, according to Apple. I have tried nav and Waze up at the same time without the split-screen functionality and only one worked at a time. Maybe that is because they can both use the car's GPS and only one can use it (until this new update, I hope). Bottom line: I haven't used it enough to notice whether there's a delay.

Generally speaking, I want to keep Waze running for the alerts, not for turn-by-turn directions. And I want to use the built-in nav in order to maintain the integration with the HUD, which makes it a lot safer to use.

I tried it this morning and had entered my work address in the stock nav then plugged in my phone and had waze up at the same time. For some reason AA stopped working after a few minutes and wouldn't reconnect. I don't know if it was my phone, cable, or the car. I'll try a different cable
Thanks for trying. As I just said above, I tried Waze and built-in nav without the split-screen functionality and using one would cancel the other. I'm hoping the new update fixes that.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i have had the factory nav, waze, and iphone music on at the same time. i think there is a post here about someone using waze, but having the factory nav in the background, because then the turn by turn is still displayed in the dash/headsup. when i have waze running, i can switch to the factory nav, and still i hear the waze warnings, but i have yet to try it vice versa. for you red lite and speed camera guys, poi factory can be integrated into some systems, and you get warnings of everything they have. before they outlawed it here in texas, i had it and it was very accurate(red lite only, no speed cameras here). at first i thought it was actually poi(a hawaiian staple), for you hawaiian food fans. of which i doubt there are any

1 - 20 of 165 Posts