Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T with 8" touchscreen/NAV back in Feb of 2018. We were leaving for a short 3 night Labor Day weekend trip and I had been watching the map update prices and they finally had a sale for $145 so I decided to purchase the download option and install to the factory SD card. Who wouldn't want fresh new maps for a long trip? After inserting the updated card and starting the car the headunit displayed an all white screen that was off center with a black strip down the side. I continued to let it sit for over 25min with no change. After it failed I tried reformatting the card, deleting the pre-downloaded files, installing to card and trying again, same result. I eventually got on the phone with MapNSoft while still driving to our destination 4.5hrs away and they told us how to reset the headunit from the pinhole near CD slot. No change, so we had to go the entire labor day weekend in the vehicle we were still making payments on without Nav, Radio, or climate control in 80F+ temp. The climate control still worked in limp mode but with no indication what it was set to except for hearing the fan speed and seeing the A/C light on.

After labor day I called back in when they were open to customer service and they were able to order a pre-configured SD Card which took another 2 business days to arrive. I received the new SD card and called in to customer service (not tech support, their tech support team WILL NOT communicate directly with customers) for the Forced update procedure they said I needed to try. So now after attempting the forced update (hold eject, AM/FM and DEST) with new SD card it just turns the system off and stays black. I let it sit on this screen for 40min, then tried again another 3 times, even went as far as pulling the fuse for the nav, letting the system sit then starting over helping to reset it all, No change.

So now I've called back in to MapNSoft and their Tech support refuses to speak with me and I have tried to request a new head unit be delivered and installed to a dealership but they are still waiting for that to be approved and said it could take several WEEKS for the new head unit to be shipped to them, configured for my vehicle and then shipped out again to my dealership. So now it's been 10 days in a vehicle that my wife drives across 3 different counties in our area for her job, putting on average 19500mi/year.

So now it looks like we will have to go a month or longer in a vehicle with no functioning head unit. MapNSoft has to be the worst software company I have ever seen. I've been working in IT for 9 years and have never seen a Tech support team that would not speak with the customer. We will never buy a Hyundai or Kia again because of this. I have even called in to a dealership and they don't have any tools besides their OBD2 scanner to interface with the vehicle. Sounds like a good business idea if no one around can work on the software side of vehicle headunits. I was told it's running Windows CE.

Has anyone else been through this? Does it really take weeks to get a replacement head unit? Any other button combos I can try or a way to connect a serial cable to backside or something?

Factory head unit was on map 8.44
Latest is 11.47.15
How can a car that is 6 years old still be this difficult to update? I can't be the only one that has ever had this problem? Did they even test their software to see if you can jump to any version? Maybe there should have been an incremental update first before going to the latest....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wow I’m really sorry to hear that, I have a 2014 XL Limited and was looking to download the map update and like you that’s a big jump. Looks like I will hold back and see what the outcome of your situation will be and if it can be resolve, again sorry to see you go through this and hopefully Map N Soft will take care of your issue. GL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE

21 Sept 2018
Received email from MapNSoft that replacement head unit would be delivered that day to the dealer I requested.
In that email they also confirmed that they had UPDATED and TESTED the new head unit before they shipped it to the dealer.

About 1-2 weeks before then I had called in and found out they finally got approval to replace the head unit since new SD card still did not change anything.

Their process was supposed to be that a head unit is shipped to their California Tech support office for configuration and then shipped to a dealer of my choice that would accept their labor rate.

24 Sept 2018
Dealer finally had opening to get install done. After dropping vehicle off and waiting about 1.5hrs I finally got a call from service dept that they needed to download the update and apply it to the NEW head unit and it would be about another 1-1.5hrs.

After picking up the vehicle I talked with the Tech and expressed my thanks for him getting it done right after MapNSoft lied and said they had updated and tested it. On the receipt I even saw the $100 labor charge that MapNSoft paid the desler for which only covered the physical install.

So in the end my wife ended up going 24 days with no climate control, no navigation, minimal radio with guessing what station you are on (it reset to static every time engine was turned off) and we had to start our labor day vacation with no navigation. We ended up using a old TomTom and our smartphones.

I don't think I can ever justify buying a vehicle with built in Nav again. Dealerships need technicians with programming/software skills to fix these problems on site instead of outsourcing to a remote tech support dept.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
So I have a 2013 with nav which has never been updated - wife's car mostly and she has mentioned a few times that we should update it. What was the cost in total for you to get this done, after reading your post I think I'd have a discussion with Mapnsoft to see if your experience is not unique as I don't want to go through what you have detailed to upgrade what I've always considered a so so option .

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
NeverH.....Dealers will never be able to resolve software / programming issues beyond installing what the manufacturer of the vehicle and / or the affected component provide. They designed and built it. It just isn't practical for us to try to write or correct the software to make it work. Sometimes just getting the factory updated software installed is difficult enough.

I do agree with you in that I do not like factory Nav. The cost for the option and the map updates are too high compared to a $135 Garmin with free lifetime map updates. Plus, in many cases, the Nav radios are just way too twitchy / trouble prone. Having processed warranty claims for both Hyundai and GM.....The Hyundai Nav radios have far fewer issues and require far fewer software updates to make them work properly.

The sad part is that the more features that customers demand and that the manufacturers try to add, the more trouble prone they seem to become and there is no guarantee that all of the features will work with whatever phones an owner may have. If a phone, such as the latest and greatest, are not supported you may have limited functionality until and unless the vehicle manufacturer offers an update, and they are not required to do so.

We have never had factory Nav and unless I have to accept it as a part of a package that I really want, we never will.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
After seeing how little actually changes from one update to another, I find it hard to justify paying $135 to $150 to updated the maps in both of my Hyundai's. After having used maps in car play, and seeing that it now supports google maps, I would encourage anyone with an iPhone to switch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
After seeing how little actually changes from one update to another, I find it hard to justify paying $135 to $150 to updated the maps in both of my Hyundai's. After having used maps in car play, and seeing that it now supports google maps, I would encourage anyone with an iPhone to switch.
Agree.

To that point...I'm now using both google maps & WAZE in my 2018 SPS via my iPhone on iOS v12. Both work well...and WAZE is actually our preferred map system, as it shows a good deal of live things while driving, including cars on the shoulder, traffic bottlenexks (for workarounds), etc.

I feel very badly for the original poster's experience.

While I am beyond average in terms of techy items...when it comes to vehicle software, I'll leave those things to my dealer's staff...so if there are any issues...THEY can fix them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm late to this post, but I had the same thing happen to me, Neverhyundai.
I have the 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T Sport, and from the first day we bought it, the factory navigation was outdated. So, I went the first few years with it outdated until one day I thought it was time to update. I ordered the SD card from Mapnsoft, read the instructions carefully, and went to install it. My screen went blue, and then stayed blue. Called Mapnsoft and did get through the tech guy, and they sent me another card. Lo and behold, same thing, still blue screen. No navigation, radio, climate control, the update bricked the unit. After numerous calls to both Mapnsoft and Hyundai dealership which involved some yelling, they finally installed a new unit, but with the same outdated software I started with! That was 5 years ago, and I have been afraid to update, fearing the same thing will happen. My local Hyundai dealership says they will not update the navigation system, I have to do it myself. Ha. They must have had trouble with doing updates in the past. If anyone has had a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T Sport navigation system updated recently, let me know how it went.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I updated our 2014 approximately 6 months ago without a problem! Everything worked fine. First time it was updated since we bought it new back in 2014.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, reus. I was told by Mapnsoft that the 2013 Santa Fe navigation system was different than any other year's models. That's why I was looking for someone with the same 2013 model. Glad yours updated ok!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Thanks for the reply, reus. I was told by Mapnsoft that the 2013 Santa Fe navigation system was different than any other year's models. That's why I was looking for someone with the same 2013 model. Glad yours updated ok!
Thought it would be of some help! Hope you find the solution. But its hard for me to believe that the 13 and 14 are different! Guess they know much more that I do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I downloaded the update maps from the official site and then put the USB into the car and doesn't seem to update and says that the USB has no media files available. Its a Hyundai Elantra 2017 GTS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts