Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Map Lights stay on regardless if the car is off. I would think that there is battery protection to prevent you from accidentally from running down the battery. I had a 1991 Chevy Cavalier that shut off the map lights automatically after 10 minutes.

Any comments.

Mark :innocent:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The dome light switch on mine went bad. In the middle position it would stay on all the time. Found it via dead battery in the morning. Took the dealer two weeks to get a replacement.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
For some reason, domestics are the only cars that seem to have battery run-down protection. In fact, on my dad's Acura RL there is a way you can inadvertently leave the headlights on literally until the battery dies. I have to wonder if there is a glitch in the system somewhere but thankfully, the series of events required for this to happen is very complex.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Most cars have battery run-down protection now. Leave your headlights on and they turn off with the ignition. For some reason, many cars turn everything off EXCEPT the darn map lights. My Hondas are the same way. Apparently Hyundais too. My BMW turns EVERYTHING off; that's nice, until you you open a door or something, which 'wakes' the car up, and a ton of crap (iDrive, nav, amp cooler, etc) starts running for another 10 minutes. Geez. No simple cars anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts