Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I could activate the map lights to turn on when the door opens? Right now it's set for the dome lights to turn on but i dont want that.

Any help?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there ever a condition where the map lights come on without pressing one of the switches on the ceiling? I don't think so, which means there is no wire under the dash or anywhere else that could easily be tapped into to do this. You'd have to run a wire from the maplights down into the dash and hook it into the dome light trigger.

Hmm thinking about this a little more... actually I think you could run a wire from the dome light to the map lights to do it. This would be hard for those with a sunroof, because you'd have to go around that. But if you don't have a sunroof I think you could side a wire through the hood liner from the dome light to the map lights. This might cause other weird things like the dome light turning on when you press one of the map light switches, and also both map lights coming on whenever you only tuned on one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
okay it can be done, didn't try it yet but let me know how this sounds.

Dome light trigger; driver kick, RED 20 pin plug, pin 8 yellow/ black wire Neg polarity.

1.splice and solder a wire into dome trigger wire and run it up to your map light.
2.check the polarity of the switch of the map light. (check with dmm what polarity is it switch)

if its a neg switch, split the wire coming from the dome trigger to two wires and add a diode on both wire ( hook the diode so that it lets neg out of the trigger to the switch and block neg from coming back to the trigger, and solder those to wire to the map light switch

if positive switch, wire a relay to the wire coming from the dome light to switch the neg coming from the trigger to Positive and continue with the split and diode this time letting positive through to the switch.

ALWAYS DIODE IF TRYING TO HOOK TWO OR MORE COMPONENTS TO WORK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (No43 @ Dec 9 2010, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378284
There is no way i could understand what you just said TeamRF. =( ****, Now i gotta pay someone to do it for me.
its easy, just gotta know how to solder, diode and use a DMM

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378296
the guy who installed my puddle lights wired individual lights on my side skirts to the dome no problem..... and my car does have a sunroof as well.. well if this is the case i dont think running a map light to dome light can be that hard
urs was easy because ur just tapping into a wire to power an aftermarket acc, hes trying to connect two oem parts together, you don't want to feed voltage to unnecessary circuits that are hooked up to that part, so he has to use diodes

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (TeamRF @ Dec 9 2010, 01:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378299
urs was easy because ur just tapping into a wire to power an aftermarket acc, hes trying to connect two oem parts together, you don't want to feed voltage to unnecessary circuits that are hooked up to that part, so he has to use diodes

Hey TeamRF, If you could do the job onto your car. Could it be possible for me to drive to your location (Which is not far from me) and pay you to do it for me? :grin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378296
the guy who installed my puddle lights wired individual lights on my side skirts to the dome no problem..... and my car does have a sunroof as well.. well if this is the case i dont think running a map light to dome light can be that hard
Hooking into the dome light is easy because those wires are in the dash/kickpanel area. There is no wire to trigger the map light, you would have to hack into the roof liner and connect it there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (zirconx @ Dec 16 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380599
Hooking into the dome light is easy because those wires are in the dash/kickpanel area. There is no wire to trigger the map light, you would have to hack into the roof liner and connect it there.
just did it tom my car doing the same technique i listed before works great, too bright though, i have LEDs

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
QUOTE (theeotter @ Jan 4 2011, 10:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=386747
funny... dome and map all come on in the 2011 Tucson's WTH!

Also the 2007 Santa Fe I had previously...

In fact the maps didn't come on with the dome on the earlier models, customers complained it was too dark, and Hyundai modified the maps to work off the dome light.

The dome on the Santa Fe was further back and didn't illuminate the front area too well, which is probably why all Hyundai SUVs have it this way.

In my Sonata I pretty much have an LED spotlight in the dome and I blind everyone who enters. :p

·
Registered
541 Posts
The roof has to come off.
The map lights then have to be wired to the dome light.
This way the map lights will work with the dome light however, will lose their own controls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts