Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Santa Fe GLS 2.7
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. Have a 2009 Santa Fe GLS. We purchased it recently with 87,000 miles on it and it is in immaculate condition. One thing I cannot figure out is why when ANY door is opened the map lights do not turn on even when the door button is pushed in. The dome light above the rear seats does come on when the doors are opened but not the front two map lights. So this tells me the door switches are working as the dome light would not come on as well. The map lights both work and can each be turned on and off using the individual map light buttons. Anyone have an idea why these lights do not come on when opening the door or unlocking the car with the key fob? TIA and pictures attached.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive lighting

Wood Automotive design Grey Beige Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2009 Santa Fe GLS 2.7
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm wondering if it needs to be flashed.
If you mean flashing the ECU or BCM I would have no idea if that would work or why a simple switching mechanism would have anything digital to do with it, but I digress as I have no clue. It's just very strange how this malfunction is presenting itself. One light works from the door(s) (rear dome light) but the other doesn't. Could be something faulty in the overhead unit but everything works fine besides the door opening and key fob unlock. It wouldn't be that much of a big deal but getting into the vehicle at night even with the the rear dome light on is still very dark. I also found out that you cannot turn the headlights on unless the key is turned to the "on" position or the car is running. First vehicle I have ever had where you can't just turn the headlights on without the key inserted and turned.

·
Registered
2012 Santa Fe Limited 2.4L FWD
23 Posts
Thankfully the fix for this is much simpler than doing anything with any of the integrated systems. It's a simple diode that needs to be replaced in the housing for the map lights. I've attached a link to another thread post that goes into detail on how to replace the diode, and the entire thread will give you some good advice on exactly what you need and what to do.. The one you would need should be less than $1 (get a 2 amp diode as suggested in the thread), and can be found online quite easily. I replaced mine in my 2012 Limited, and it took about 10 minutes total. I also replaced the tiny 194 bulbs in the map lights with decent LED ones, and it makes a huge difference at night for getting in and being able to see!

One word of advice... probably 95% of issues you will come across will have happened to someone else here on the forum as well. The search option works really well to find answers to just about anything!

Front dome light not working when doors open

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went through this as well. Easy fix and cheap to boot.

Not sure if it was shared, but here's a video:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup to echo what the others said, it's a simple matter of using a soldering iron to replace the diode. I put in a heavier duty one in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts