Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, here's the story:
- 2010 Santa Fe 2.4 wouldn't start one morning clicking noise only; tried 20 minutes later started fine (very cold morning)
- 2 days later wouldn't start; garage near by replaced battery.. no problem starting but later that day check engine light came on (never on before)
- removed negative terminal (after checking gas cap), check engine light stayed off
- two days later check engine came on and car went into limp mode
- took into Hyundai, said limp mode code and P0106 MAP Sensor.. said everything looked ok except air filter very dirty, replaced
- after getting home 3 hours later check engine light came back on
- took in this morning (check engine light not on) but they ran scan and another P0106 code, they are ordering a new MAP sensor
They said they couldn't do anything else as it's not acting up now.. asked if MAP sensor is bad and said couldn't do anything as not throwing codes at the moment.

Any ideas on what I can check, do you know where the sensor is in 2010 Santa Fe.. will try to trace wires and see if anything obvious.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
0106 is a major goof ball DTC and PIA at times.. seems to follow in with loss of power.. I get it when replace engines in Sonata once in while

2010 Santa Fe...

Clean ground point where negative cable meet body (remove and grind away paint to bare steel,, (paint is an insulator, not a conductor).. do this for battery neg cable to body, and stray from body/frame rail to trans.. should be another at right side.

Reset engine adaptive (done via GDS in the Software Management section/menu)

Go to current data, select MAP sensor, and Throttle Angle I think it is.. select graph.. with engine running, hit throttle a few times, then diag the graph.... the throttle and MAP should mirror each other following the trace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: One year later (after MAP sensor was replaced) same issue. Engine light on and loss of power. Took to another garage (good local generic garage, not a Hyundai shop). They said MAP sensor codes. (incl P0106). They replaced MAP sensor but one week later same problem . Engine light on and loss of power. Turn engine off. Turn on and able to drive home.(light on). Will take back to gararge tomorrow but obviously something else is triggering a bad MAP sensor code. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Any ideas?
Maybe it's a problem with the TPS that's causing the MAP code.

As sbr711 mentioned in his previous post, MAP & TPS sensor output values are related and when one of the sensor values fails to follow the other the engine computer takes it's best guess at which one of the two sensors is in error. As smart as the engine computer is, it's not always right so sometimes you get a MAP code when the TPS is faulty and vice versa.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
We been seeing 0106 with simple battery disconnect and re-connect.. along with those that get engine replacement (2.4 Theta version)

Tech assist told me after getting stuck with 1 that been around shop to multiple techs before it was dropped in my lap on visit number 6 (WARRANTY) to simply go in and erase DTC, then head off into SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT, OPTION TREATMENT, RESET ADAPTIVE LEARN VALUES,, and reset.. then the DELPHI logic leaves me with a start up and no throttle, as it now sets 2 throttle codes and goes Limp.. clear Limp codes, quick key cycle, start engine couple times and make sure all is well

DELPHI control system is CRAP !!

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT, OPTION TREATMENT, RESET ADAPTIVE LEARN VALUES,, and reset....now sets 2 throttle codes and goes Limp.. clear Limp codes, quick key cycle, start engine couple times and make sure all is well
Thanks for the info on dealing with this one. I've seen lots of posts where the 106 code has appeared after disconnecting the battery. I'll probably never see a Theta engine over here in the UK where everyone drives diesels but I'll file that away just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I've been having a similar issue, and trying to fix it.

Here's the story behind my issue:
- In July 2017 received the error code P0106 for the first time
- I replaced the map sensor with a new one
- Same error code came back a few weeks later
- Had a mechanic run a diagnostic check, and he tested the cables to ensure it wasn't an electrical issue, he also found no vacuum leaks. He said the MAP sensor I had must be faulty
- Purchased a 3rd MAP sensor (genuine Hyundai part) and a week or so later the code came back again
- Cleaned the throttle body, and that was already clean upon inspection

My car is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 GLS AWD with roughly 119k miles on it.

Some of the symptoms I have noticed is the check engine light will turn off for a few days, then come back on randomly again. Also, when I've come to a stop, the RPM pin will go up and down slightly and the car will vibrate a little bit (this isn't every day, just randomly).

Please help with any ideas you may have, tired of taking my car to the mechanic as they keep saying it's the MAP sensor, but it appears to be something else triggering the code.

Thank you,
Laurence

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Hi,

Here's the story behind my issue:
- In July 2017 received the error code P0106 for the first time
- I replaced the map sensor with a new one
- Same error code came back a few weeks later
- Had a mechanic run a diagnostic check, and he tested the cables to ensure it wasn't an electrical issue, he also found no vacuum leaks. He said the MAP sensor I had must be faulty
- Purchased a 3rd MAP sensor (genuine Hyundai part) and a week or so later the code came back again
- Cleaned the throttle body, and that was already clean upon inspection

My car is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 GLS AWD with roughly 119k miles on it.

Some of the symptoms I have noticed is the check engine light will turn off for a few days, then come back on randomly again. Also, when I've come to a stop, the RPM pin will go up and down slightly and the car will vibrate a little bit (this isn't every day, just randomly).

Please help with any ideas you may have, tired of taking my car to the mechanic as they keep saying it's the MAP sensor, but it appears to be something else triggering the code.

Thank you,
Laurence
2010,,,, I will assume it is the 2.4L even though not called out in text or profile to display in box under username...

Read post number 6 very slowly..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem too. I replaced a bad battery, then a few days later, the check engine light pops up with a P0106 code. I've removed and cleaned the original MAP sensor (wasn't really dirty, but had to try), but the code comes back (after clearing via removing the battery). I then replaced the sensor and cleared the code, but a day later it pops back up again. So frustrating. I guess I'm heading to the mechanic's for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Print out post #6 of this thread and take that with you or your mechanic will be chasing his tail trying to fix it too.
Advise ground clean (removal of paint under the lugs),,,, clear DTC,, Reset Enigne Adaptive Value,, key cycle to learn throttle, then key on, wait for MAP / Baro ,, then finally stat up

This via use of Hyundai GDS for performing the associated work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts