Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post here and I need some help with my inlaw's 01? Elantra. I do work on cars, but mostly older ones (my car is a 65) so I'm not too familiar with all the intricacies of more modern ones. Anyway, my wife is about to start college and her parents were going to give her the car once they had it fixed up a bit. Some of the problems with it were, the steering screeched horribly when the wheel was turned all the way, and when on, the headlights, marker lights, and interior lights would flicker or full on turn off when the turn signal was activated. Now needless the guy they took it to didn't fix it otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.:unsure: The car came back with other problems too. Main one being when the gas is depressed from a full stop the car takes about two seconds to start moving. Now my questions are these.

1. Would the turn signal switch be causing the light problem? If it is how would I remove it to fix/replace it?
2. Would the screeching be a symptom of a problem with the power steering system? They seemed to think it was a loose belt, but wouldn't that be a constant screech, rather than only when the wheel was turned all the way?
3. Is the throttle cable fully cable, or is it also electrically operated? And would adjusting the cable fix the lagging throttle?
4. The person who did the work said that they changed the oil and that it almost immediately turned black, so they changed it a second time. I want to check to see if they properly flushed the sludge out. Would pulling the valve cover be a good way to check this? And is pulling it straight forward, or is there a special procedure or special tools I need?

Needless to say, I don't trust this person. I don't even think he's an actual mechanic. A lot of things made me nervous about leaving the car with him. The registration sticker had been stolen, they had driven it at least thirty miles (based on having used over a quarter to half a tank of gas), and he kept it in his neighbors garage in exchange for beer. I'm planing on having a real mechanic check the things I can't, like the brakes, once I give it a once or twice over.
I know it's a lot of questions, but thank you in advance for any help. :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Dude, I know you want to fix your car, but for a first time poster, you're asking a little too much. You'd do better by fixing one thing at a time. Try the power steering problem first, it's easy. Go ahead and tighten up the belt, chances are it will fix the problem. If you can do that, we'll move on.

·
Banned
998 Posts
sorry for the words, but I do not get one thing here.

All the questions are kind of basic issues/troubleshooting "thingies" and you seem to not know how to deal with them.
On the other hand - you are doing a full restoration of 1965 Mustang (engine rebuilt, tranny, brakes, whatnot).

C'mon... and you ask about engine sludge?

1. Maybe... check wires within... grounding, rust...
2. Loose belt? Oil on it? Seriously?
3. 2001 and fly by wire? Only in planes... Nope, it is full cable. Again, question of a kindergarten boy, not a mechanic.
4. Open and see yourself. I guess after doing 289 block you should know better where the sludge sits. All engines work same way. Even boxers.

So, proceed and update.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts