Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Hyundai dealer to buy an oil filter. I overheard an office lady telling someone on the phone that there is a manual transmission oil recall on newer Elantras. It depends which factory it came out of. The factory put the wrong transmission oil in it.

If you have a manual transmission and the shifting is horrible, you might be affected. If you don't, I'd call still. I'm going to call them after I get out of work today.

·
22,788 Posts
I went to the Hyundai dealer to buy an oil filter. I overheard an office lady telling someone on the phone that there is a manual transmission oil recall on newer Elantras. It depends which factory it came out of. The factory put the wrong transmission oil in it.

If you have a manual transmission and the shifting is horrible, you might be affected. If you don't, I'd call still. I'm going to call them after I get out of work today.
Good stuff. Way to go...nice "head's up." And the #1 reason we love this forum is...? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Good post CheckBlueGT, and good advice to call even if you haven't received a notice.

These notices are sometimes rolled out gradually for logistical reasons, but that doesn't necessarily mean one has to wait for it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'll be going in for 7,500 mile maintenance check in a few weeks and I will check it out too. In the meantime, I will monitor your post for more info.

I have 3 qts. of Redline 75W90 gear oil for the transfer case ready to go in anyways at the same time I get my oil change at 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be going in for 7,500 mile maintenance check in a few weeks and I will check it out too. In the meantime, I will monitor your post for more info.

I have 3 qts. of Redline 75W90 gear oil for the transfer case ready to go in anyways at the same time I get my oil change at 7,500 miles.
For the Elantra? If so, that's the incorrect one. You have Redline MT-90(75w90). The correct one should be Redline MT-85 (75w85).

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Recall released the other day for 2013 :

DATE: 11/07/2013

SUBJECT: Service Campaign TQ9 – 2013 Elantra Manual Transmission
Fluid Replacement Service Procedure (TSB# 13-01-043) –Dealer
Stock-

Hyundai Motor America is conducting a Service Campaign to replace the
manual transmission fluid on certain dealer stock 2013 Elantra
vehicles.

Service campaign TQ9 provides a procedure to replace the
manual transmission fluid.

In order to identify only those vehicles affected by Service Campaign
TQ9, it will be necessary to access Hyundai Motor America’s “Warranty
Vehicle Information” screen via WEBDCS before starting the repair. The
“Warranty Vehicle Information” screen will identify affected vehicles
with an open Service Campaign TQ9.

-------------------------------------------

*** DEALER STOCK ONLY ***

Dealers must perform this Service Campaign on all affected vehicles prior to customer retail delivery.

When a vehicle arrives at the Service Department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.
Per Hyundai franchise agreement rules, EVERY car that roll through service aisle is supposed to have VIN check for open recalls..

Applicable Vehicles: Produced: 10/17/2013~11/1/2013. 2013MY Elantra (UD) 1.8L with manual transmissions

Dont get too worked up over it,, it is for VIN made last month to first of November.. likely still sitting on dealer lots

·
Registered
660 Posts
Recall released the other day for 2013 :

Dont get too worked up over it,, it is for VIN made last month to first of November.. likely still sitting on dealer lots
That's a relief for most of us! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine still shifts clunky these days...new fluid sooner rather than later I think...

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's funny this was mentioned as I've noticed my car isn't the smoothest feeling when I shift the stick, even notice it more no its cold here its almost like the clutch isn't quite engaged going into 2nd/3rd gears more than any other. Was going to switch to synthetic when I go in for my 26,000km oil service but want to sure it works before wasting the cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts