Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been done to death but I wanted to try a different approach to asking about the correct fluid. I did a little searching and the answers seem to be all over the place with what to replace the fluid with. This car sees mainly city miles.

The manual that came with the car simply says to bring it to a dealer to replace fluid....so it isn't too helpful on recommendations for fluid replacement specs. I don't mind ordering off the internet if there is a specific type that must be used. However, I would like to knock this out, possibly today, if not tomorrow.

Between the usual parts stores: Advanced, Autozone, O'Reily's, Nappa, and Pepboy's, is there one which would readily stock the best replacement fluid? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hit the dealer before they close..

Hyundai M/T Oil, Blue bottle with blue cap, MTF 75W/85 is current oil, API GL-4

Part number 08950-00020,, dealer should keep a case or 2 of the stuff on shelf.

Kia should have it too if they closer.

DO NOT USE GL-5 OIL... it'll trash the brass synchro rings, and is tackier than the GL-4

Other option is the REDLINE MT 85 oil if you can find it locally, full synthetic GL4 spec oil that highly praised in the Accent forum

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
most recommend redline

i have a phobia of amsoil....my old trans died on it, but i don't believe that was from the amsoil. my little superstition.

i use penzoil full synthetic and have no complaints. this is because redline isn't readily available in canada. your choices are pretty much amsoil or penzoil if you want a GL-4 gear oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all responses! I picked up the specified MT fluid from the dealer with the particular part number. I have tried to track down the exact fluid capacity for the gearbox but have found numbers such as 2.1 to 2.6 quarts. I guess the best rule to go by is when it comes out of the fill plug, it is filled to capacity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I have the what I thought was a drain plug opened....and only a small amount of fluid trickled out. It was right next to a diagonal bolt on the bottom of the trans on the driver side. I figured the larger bolt was the fill hole, while the diagonal bolt was the drain plug.

Well, I broke that one loose, and nothing came out and the bolt is unusually long (two inches) I knew it wasn't the dain plug, so I put it back. I have searched google for a reference, unfortunately, it's mostly 2001 and earlier models which have the plugs in plain sight. What am I missing? I am stumped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, the common sense award does not go to me today! Took a second look at the driver side of the case and noticed one hex head was larger than the others. Broke it loose and out came the trans fluid.....and wow it's really clear, no burned smell...unless burned fluid is supposed to smell like Italian salad dressing (that's weird I know).

Drained it, and filled the case with roughly 2.4 liters. When I pulled the tube out of the fill hole, a bit drained out but not much, so that told me I was good to go. New crush washer on the drain plug, reused the old crush washer on the fill plug as it was still in like-new shape. Cleaned up and took it for a drive and all seems well, it actually feels ever so slightly smoother on the shifts.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like your manual is healthy. i hate the smell of gear oil myself...i think it smells like a mix of sulfur and vomit. can't stand it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts