Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, Phantom Grip makes an LSD for the 1995-2006 Hyundai manual transmission as well as the 4cylinder Tiburon. Does anybody know where the newer accents got their manual transmission from or if it was a completely new transmission design?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on all this info but here's what I gathered.

Older Accent models use the same transmission bellhousing as the MC (06-11). Some enthusiasts looking for more power often swap out the Alpha engine in favor of the BetaI or II found in the Elantra and Tiburon. They can either use the Beta tranny or stick with the Alpha tranny, which means they share the same bellhousing. That said, it means the Beta tranny should bolt to the AlphaII engine.

The only major difference is the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. IIRC you have to use the Beta clutch setup as the hydraulic clutch doesn't work the same (push instead of pull or the opposite). There might be some other things to consider like slave cylinder compatibility, reverse light wiring the vehicle speed sensor and the driveshafts.

Do some research on the Beta swap, it should give you plenty of info on the transmission.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 12 2010, 10:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371275
I'm not 100% sure on all this info but here's what I gathered.

Older Accent models use the same transmission bellhousing as the MC (06-11). Some enthusiasts looking for more power often swap out the Alpha engine in favor of the BetaI or II found in the Elantra and Tiburon. They can either use the Beta tranny or stick with the Alpha tranny, which means they share the same bellhousing. That said, it means the Beta tranny should bolt to the AlphaII engine.

The only major difference is the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. IIRC you have to use the Beta clutch setup as the hydraulic clutch doesn't work the same (push instead of pull or the opposite). There might be some other things to consider like slave cylinder compatibility, reverse light wiring the vehicle speed sensor and the driveshafts.

Do some research on the Beta swap, it should give you plenty of info on the transmission.
Thanks. That's a lot more information than I honestly could have found on my own. I don't think I'm quite at the stage of swapping in a Beta II. Phantom grips are only like $3-400, so I thought maybe somewhere down the line. I do get curious though if it were possible to mate a BLITZ Compressor supercharger to the Alpha II with stock position for the throttle body and Short ram, but that's probably 3-4000 + the cost of fabricating the intake manifold + a lot of fuel management mapping. Might as well just swap engines and do the I/H/E route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts