Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When first drove the new Elantra, I stalled it more than should. At first I figured I was just new to the feel of the clutch, and not in tune with the hints of RPM given by the motor's sound, etc.

A couple of times after stalling, I pulled the shifter to a middle neutral, and then back in 1st, and now it really felt like it was in 1st. Eventually, I developed a quirky habit of shifting out of 1st to neutral and back to 1st every time I stopped. My kids commented on it and they don't even drive.

A couple of times I've cautiously done this test, and it proved my suspicion. Suppose you are coasting at a speed of around 40 mph or 60 kph, and intend to come to a stop ahead. I typically push the clutch in and coast, then brake. Somewhere along the coast to stop, I will also put the gear into 1st. I've discovered that if the gear shift is put into 1st while the coast speed is sufficiently high, the actual gear selected is 3rd. Then, when you start to pull away from the stop, the engine stalls.

If anyone tries to reproduce this shift into 3rd when 1st was intended while still coasting, please be careful and let out the clutch slowly at the early part of the release so you will get a hint from the engine RPMs what gear it is heading toward. I don't want to be responsible for wear and tear on your transmission/engine or accidents. I've only attempted this test on a road with no traffic, myself.

Although what I am claiming sounds wacky, I think it is possible, given that transmissions over the years have been moving towards electronic rather than physical linkage.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yep, I use engine braking all the time. For all other gears you can up-/downshift to anything to your heart's content. But for downshift to 1st you have to be at or under 20 MPH - obviously you would never want to be doing 60 MPH and downshift to first.

And like any M/T car made today, reverse is always locked out, in our case a simple mechanical lockout.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh... that would explain a lot... personally im not very happy with the manual transmission on the new elantra... that whole electronic stuff isnt fun to drive.

Even today i stall the **** thing once in while...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Oh... that would explain a lot... personally im not very happy with the manual transmission on the new elantra... that whole electronic stuff isnt fun to drive.

Even today i stall the **** thing once in while...
Well, the M/T linkage is still mechanical and not electronic. When I first got my Coupe it took a short while to get a 'feel' for the shifting but now it's no different than other M/T cars I've had or driven before. I never stall it out in first. Maybe just a little more time, not sure how long you've had yours.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, the M/T linkage is still mechanical and not electronic. When I first got my Coupe it took a short while to get a 'feel' for the shifting but now it's no different than other M/T cars I've had or driven before. I never stall it out in first. Maybe just a little more time, not sure how long you've had yours.
3rd month... but i dont drive that much... Guess ill get used to it at one point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I notice with mine sometimes it goes into 3rd when I select first and i stall it, this is at a stand still. Mine feels notchy sometimes, but not all the time. Compared to a civic I tried its garbage. Also with mine if I stop at a store shut off car go in, come out and start car up again, revs hang on the very first shift too sometimes.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well, good news is there is a short throw kit available that might help with manual shifting. Bad news is there's like one short throw kit out there so you don't have much of a choice if you want to go that route. I personally wish there was a quality short throw setup that lets you keep the EOM knob as I like that design compared to the pretty awful looking round one the short throw kit offers.
I suppose it's supply and demand though, not all that many manual transmissions are sold over here so it's probably not terribly cost effective to manufacturer these kits.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Nice reading, that's why when I'm about to stop I always try to shift in first gear to be prepared to go but it won't let me. I once drove my friend's Civic 5 speed and I really prefer the Elantra transmission. Have you guys noticed that it's often difficult to shift in first gear? I have to depress the clutch twice to be able to shift in first when at a red light or a stop. Also my wife told me that in this car, every time I change gear, her head moves forward then backward.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I find it difficult to shift into first sometimes. It seems to me the car is designed to make you come to a complete stop before you go into first. Maybe we will have a recall like Honda/Acura did with their 6spd manuals in civics/rsx's. Anyone else have rev hanging issues like I described? I am talking a good 5 seconds.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Having the same problem, trying to put the shifter into first and end up in third. When I got the car, it was almost all the time this was happening.

Another thing I noticed... When selecting reverse gear, the car has to be dead stop or the reverse gear will make a grinding noise. Even if the car is slowing rolling in reverse and I shift into reverse it still grinds. I never had this problem with my other manual vehicles!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Revs hanging?

I don't understand "rev's hanging". Does that mean you lift the foot off the gas but the RPM stays high? Mine does not do that.

I think I've noticed the grind when selecting R with the clutch all the way in. Yet another design feature to keep us from making the wrong gear, but getting in the way of something like rocking the car when stuck in snow, ice or deep sand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes some times when I put my left foot on the clutch, right foot off the gas, the revs stay at what ever RPM for a number of seconds. So when this happens I am basically power shifting the car unintentionally.

Conditions are always engine is up to temp, car is shut off for a few minutes. Always the first shift to second. But it only happens some of the time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having the same problem, trying to put the shifter into first and end up in third. When I got the car, it was almost all the time this was happening.

Another thing I noticed... When selecting reverse gear, the car has to be dead stop or the reverse gear will make a grinding noise. Even if the car is slowing rolling in reverse and I shift into reverse it still grinds. I never had this problem with my other manual vehicles!!
Reverse is probably straight cut, non synchronized. Just a less refined transmission in terms of features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts