Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time doing the trans oil. 2010 accent 5 speed. First, what oil is OK? 75/90? Full or blended synthetic? I cannot locate 75/85 oil. Maybe I should go and buy it at the stealership?

Second, Where is the drain and fill plugs located? I just changed the engine oil and took a quick look... Nothing jumps out at me, except maybe the drain plug??

Any links to pics?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I used Redline 75/90 oil in my '07 Accent GS, seemed to work good and smooth, which I sold. Have you tried the SEARCH option to see if there are already threads that answer your question? If I find something, I will re-post.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
synthetic is just fine, you'll probably like it better. you should notice a tad more power and much smoother shifting from your trans with it.

however, i would not stray outside of the oil spec what so ever. please see your owner's manual and stick to exactly that.

for example, my LC accent specs 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil. due to availability, i might decide to say well 85W-90 is close enough. true, at running temps it is very close. however, when its cold (especially -30ºC here in canuck land) on startup the viscosity of the oil is nearly DOUBLE that of 75W-90. clearly, this is not acceptable.

also, you will find many guys at the parts store will give you a GL-5 when you ask for a GL-4 and tell you its good to use, its better because its a newer spec! this is a complete load of poop. just because it has a higher number does not make it better or compatible. for a differential, it may very well be suitable. for a transmission with brass synchro rings it is not compatible at all.

the most notable difference is GL-5 has a higher sulfur content than GL-4. fine for steel gears, but the sulfur tends to coat brass and eat it away slowly. that coating also reduces the oil's ability to lubricate the brass synchros. neither scenario is a good time.

so for finding your plugs....see www.hmaservice.com. search the forums. search google. i don't tend to hand out info on a silver platter.

i will give you a couple words of advice though: remove the fill port first. be a shame to drain the oil only to find you can't get the seized fill port out to refill...they don't seize often, but why risk it?

inspect the old oil for any debris. might indicate a trans problem coming up down the road.

an easy way to fill (if plugs are same size as LC accent) is to use 1/2" tubing and connect one end to a funnel. stuff the other end into the trans fill port. pour away on LEVEL ground. keep a pan under it. once it starts to spill out, stop and remove your improvised filling tool. let the excess drain down. wipe down trans and you're done. oil level should be bottom of the fill port on level ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always another site to register for. ugg. When I find some free time to spend at the computer, maybe I'll do that. Anybody else know where to look for the drain plugs? Thanks... for the help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, can't find the redline anywhere around here either. I'm going to go buy from the dealer today. The place on my way home is selling it for $20 per quart. Dang. I called a few other places and found prices as high as $27 per quart!

So I'll pick up three. I wonder if they would allow me to return the 3rd quart if I don't end up using it??

I have a lube pump for changing the gear oil in my boat motor, so I will probably use that to pump it in.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if you're in canada (like me) you will not find redline anywhere. not sure why it doesn't come up here. there are 2 other options i have found:

amsoil 75w-90 GL4 full synthetic

penzoil 75W-90 GL4 full synthetic.

i do have to admit i DID blast my old transmission to **** running the amsoil...came out heavily polluted. cause appeared to be a failed bearing once i got it open. likely not the oil's fault, but i can't confirm that.

i run the penzoil now and have been very happy with it.

oh and you WILL need 3 quarts. any store should allow a return if its unopened, but having done this a few times i can tell you it will take 2 full quarts and about 1/4-1/3 of another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts