Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My dealer told me that I am do for a transmission fluid replacement at 48 k. He says that it is the same as an Automatic?
Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was shocked to see that owners manual says 120K, Also does not say I need most of the dealer extra charge service at oil change time.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Was shocked to see that owners manual says 120K, Also does not say I need most of the dealer extra charge service at oil change time.
Dealers want, need, to make money to stay in business. Informed consumers don't throw money away on unnecessary service items. Your schedule of service and owner's manual tell you ALL you have to have done and when. Never let a service writer bully you into unneeded work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I posted about this not too long ago when I did my change. it's not an overly difficult job to do yourself if you have the time. I changed mine at 60K miles and it was still clear, no burning or contaminates visible. That seemed a long time to go without servicing it and after viewing a few other manual trans service intervals for other vehicles, I have committed to changing it every 15K miles. It's only $50 or so for the proper Hyundai brand trans fluid required to do the change.

When I went to the dealer, they tried to sell me six quarts as they recommended because that's how much they supposedly go through when they do a flush. Coincidentally, they only had six left on hand, so that may have been an attempt at an up sale. I only went for three bottles. I'm glad I did as the fluid that was drained looked just as clean and clear as the fluid I replaced it with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Has anyone had any experience or heard of mixing typical manual trans gear lube with automatic fluid? I encountered this subject researching manual trans oil replacement for Subarus. It had something to do with modern gearboxes not needing super heavy gear lube. It made me think of the different feel in my gearbox when I replaced the fluid with Redline MT85 (SAE 75-85). It was smoother and less notchy, but it was also heavier feeling. After reading about Subaru stick shift owners mixing gear lube with automatic fluid, I started to wonder about the possibility of mixing the Redline MT85 with their automatic fluid (Redline D4 or D6 , I think it's called) of the same weight and GL4 rating. Anyone have experience with this? I'm not about to do it, just curious.

Bad idea or very bad idea?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would say there is a specific reason they make g/box fluid for autos and manuals. As a precaution I wouldn't do it. Its one of those do at your own risks kind of thing. May be great, may not be. I would never put auto g/box fluid in my manual car. I would just use what's specified by Hyundai.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
llama85 - they're trying to treat your manual as if its an auto to sell you more fluid. there is no such thing as flushing a manual trans. period. 15k miles for replacement of manual gear oil is terribly excessive. your oil came out fine at 60k as you have said. take that as a hint. only recommendation i have is think about synthetic, just make sure it meets the spec in the OM exactly. not sure if the new accent requires GL4 or what, but stick with that.

oneir - this is a bad idea on so many levels. the manufacturer does not recommend an oil or fluid based on what is available - they recommend the spec based on what it is designed for. give it what it needs, don't screw with it. if they need some new kinky fluid for a new design, they will create it.

people seem to think that engineers have nothing better to do but create BS torque specs, lube specs, etc. this is not the case. there are plenty of things they'd rather get up to. they exist for a reason. listen to the people that designed and built your car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I normally replace factory manual transmission fluid to Redline replacement between 10-15k miles to help shift quality. Redline is usually good for 50-100K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts