Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven’t driven a manual in almost 3 years and wanted to practise shifting with manual mode for fun today. Did the shifting myself for maybe 20 minutes. Accidentally shifted down from 4th to 3rd while doing 40mph.
Everyone I know says shifting an auto trans manually is bad for longevity.
Had a few hard downshifts while stopping but wasn’t hard on the car myself.
Is it likely I’ve done damage?
Also, any idea how to assess damage and if there is any, how to fix it without breaking the bank lol?
Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Haven’t driven a manual in almost 3 years and wanted to practise shifting with manual mode for fun today. Did the shifting myself for maybe 20 minutes. Accidentally shifted down from 4th to 3rd while doing 40mph.
Also, any idea how to assess damage and if there is any, how to fix it without breaking the bank lol?
Thanks!

First off, the Hyundai auto trans while fairly tough, is not a "refined shiftier" in auto mode or manual mode. Just drive your car normal or spirited in auto mode and change the trans fluid every 60,000 miles or 40,000 if you are a spirited driver.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks!
The transmission is electronically controlled and the computer won't let you do anything that could cause damage. Leave it in the manual gate and come to a stop and watch it downshift as needed without you having to move the lever. You can start off only in 1 or 2 - you can't bump the lever forward to 5 or 6 and then step on the accelerator. No harm no damage. The car will be fine and there isn't enough of an increase in wear for anyone to notice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts