Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feels like i'm the only one with a new car that has a manual. Guess it's a european thing, but I hate automatics!

Where are the rest of you at? How do you like your manual sonata? How does it compare to your other manuals?

I traded in my mr2 spyder for my sonata and It can even begin to compare! I need a short shifter asap and a new shift knob! Still happier with a manual over auto any day!

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are about 4 or so on the forum. Sure there would be more if Hyundai offered the car in a genuine manner by making options and other models other than the GLS available. Can you describe your experience with the the throttle dampening?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wanted a manual VERY badly, but it wasn't an option. The dealer near me said they didn't have any and wouldn't be getting any in that they knew of. I've never owned an auto in my life til now. And i regret it. I hate auto but love the car, so i'm dealing with it

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a manual and love it...although it's taking some time to get used to. The manual transmission in these Sonatas are tough!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Can you get the manual in something other than the base model? I have two different answers from two different dealers and both seem rather confused. Per the brochure, it doesnt have an 'O' for the Limited or SE for the 6-spd.

Limited + 6spd would be a good start. Then maybe toss the turbo on.. :banana:

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jun 4 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329735
Feels like i'm the only one with a new car that has a manual. Guess it's a european thing, but I hate automatics!

Where are the rest of you at? How do you like your manual sonata? How does it compare to your other manuals?

I traded in my mr2 spyder for my sonata and It can even begin to compare! I need a short shifter asap and a new shift knob! Still happier with a manual over auto any day!

Add me to the list. I specify wanted a manual from the beginning but decided to test drive an automatic also to see which was more fun to drive and peppier. No comparison when it comes to pep and fun, the manual is the best choice. The first few hours I was driving the car and never realized I didn’t shift into 6th gear. Love the car. I agree that going into 1st gear is challenging. Seems like it need a bit more gas to avoid it stallin.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
2011 Sonata GLS with manual. Black Plum pearl with Camel interior.
It's my wife's car and she loves it. She says it's easier to drive than her past MT cars, but those cars were older used cars and certainly not anything sporty.
The car has two options - floor mats and ipod cable. So the price, interior room and comfort, and Hyundai's improved consumer ratings made the purchase a no-brainer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (rocktalk @ Jun 5 2010, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330146
Add me to the list. I specify wanted a manual from the beginning but decided to test drive an automatic also to see which was more fun to drive and peppier. No comparison when it comes to pep and fun, the manual is the best choice. The first few hours I was driving the car and never realized I didn’t shift into 6th gear. Love the car. I agree that going into 1st gear is challenging. Seems like it need a bit more gas to avoid it stallin.
Hahaha, yeah, it's pretty sad, I think I stalled more times in this car the first month than all my other cars combined. I hope I've found the right amount of gas finally (it's just a tad more than you think).

And no, you can only get a manual on the GLS (at least for 2011), which means no turbo manual either.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (hawk1500 @ Jun 6 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330211
And no, you can only get a manual on the GLS (at least for 2011), which means no turbo manual either.
Hmm, that might leave it out. I am so tired of car companies lumping americans into a specific category. I have been shifting on my own since 13. Turbo an no manual? Well thats like a tap of your favorite beer and no glass. Disappointing.

Well, I still have time to see what the next (March of 2011) will bring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (hawk1500 @ Jun 6 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330211
Hahaha, yeah, it's pretty sad, I think I stalled more times in this car the first month than all my other cars combined. I hope I've found the right amount of gas finally (it's just a tad more than you think).

Last week a guy who appeared to be in his upper 50's was checking out the car while walking out of a fast food place to his car. He got into his car and then got right back out and walked over to my car, as I was getting ready to leave. He said, wow this is a sharp car. Then he looked in the passenger side window and was excited when he saw the Sonata was available in a manual. He said he was a retired mechanic and has been reading about the car and thinking about getting one, "but now that I see it comes in a manual I'm getting one! He really liked the 6-speed concept.

I got the impression that manuals are becoming very rare and this may be the last Sonata offered with a manual.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Jun 6 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330346
Do you all also choose to carry a cell phone the size of a phone book as well?
Just because someone chooses to shift on their own does not show old; it shows ability. Automatics are annoying to drive. I have a a 5spd 01 Maxima and a 5spd 91 swapped MR2. To me driving is more than key in, point A to point B.

But I guess there are some that dont want to be bothered by a driving experience....They just need the car to turn on and off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my Silver GLS in April. Traded a 2003 Tiburon GT, V-6, 6-speed. I know these are totally different cars, but it was my experience with the Tib that dictated my decision to go back to an automatic (I've driven standard transmissions 75% of my driving life). The 2003 Tib has well documented clutch problems, and I ignored the problems and bought one with 33K. It ended up being the hardest shifting car I have driven, to the point my girlfriend used to ask me "what the **** are you doing?"

Long story short, the clutch went at about 38K (which actually was a long life, by model history). What helped the car tremendously, however, was taking out the clutch delay valve. This cap has about a pin-sized hole over the fluid line and which basically made it impossible to shift fast, and made it feel like the clutch was always engaged. You could almost never make a smooth shift, especially in lower gears. I don't know if the 2011 manual Sonata has this valve, but I'm suspicious if you're having shifting problems, expecially in the lower gears, and have to give it excessive gas. I would look into it. You can find all kinds of information on the 2003 Tib, but I would expecially have you look at Hyundai response to the excessive clutch replacement problem, which ranged from denial of the problem to blame of the drivers. There are still class action suits pending due to the amount of early failing clutches. This is the main reason I decided to nix the manual; I didn't want to deal with Hyundai over a possible problem.

Obviously, my overall experience did not deter me from my recent purchase (the stock audio was absolutely the best I have heard--for a 50 year old metal-head--oh my God--Tesla never sounded so good!, and it was a blast to drive--when the clutch was FINALLY fixed), and I can safely say I am very pleased with my Sonata as of the first 1500 miles. Made a 120 mile round trip for work the other day; computer showed 41.8 MPG for the freeway drive. Can't ask for much more...............

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Jun 6 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330346
Do you all also choose to carry a cell phone the size of a phone book as well?

Cell Phone? What is that? I have a bird that sends messages for me.

:beathorse:

·
Banned
630 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 7 2010, 07:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330526
Just because someone chooses to shift on their own does not show old; it shows ability. Automatics are annoying to drive. I have a a 5spd 01 Maxima and a 5spd 91 swapped MR2. To me driving is more than key in, point A to point B.

But I guess there are some that dont want to be bothered by a driving experience....They just need the car to turn on and off.
If you had bought a Mustang GT or the like, I could see your point. However, you bought a mid/large sized family sedan.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:eek:fftopic:

I believe the topic here is to unite Manual owners and share their experiences. If you want manual owners to justify their choice of transmission I suggest you make a thread about it and see where that goes. (Inside info: it won't take you anywhere :))

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dealer was one of the first in the state to get one but I opted for the auto for the equipment (ended up switching from the GLS package 02 to the SE). Either way I was on auto for those options plus resale is tough on a manual. The paddle shifters in the SE are kind of cool in that you can use them while in drive on the auto, just drop it two gears for passing power...good enough for me.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Jun 7 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330616
If you had bought a Mustang GT or the like, I could see your point. However, you bought a mid/large sized family sedan.
So I guess manuals in a BMW or Mercedes or Aston Martin are bad ideas? I mean they are also mid/large family sedans?

I enjoy driving. Driving a slushbox is boring and non-rewarding. Just because I have a family and need to transport them doesnt mean I have to give up my desire to have a nice driving car.

Ill worry about an automatic when I am 70 and in the need of an ocean liner so I can wear my fedora and make sure all that can be seen are my hands at the top of the wheel. :whistling:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts