Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife needs a car. she drove and really liked the elantra. im having trouible deciding on 5 speed vs auto.

1. is there really any improvement on the blue man vs the auto in terms of mpgs?

2. when she was test driving the auto i noticed it could get harry with some entrance ramp and passing. How are the ratios of the 5 speed. does it have better acceration from a roll?

3. im used to manuals. wife has limited use of them but willing to learn it fully with me if i get her one. Also none of the dealers close enough to test drive have a manual. Is either the clutch friction point or the throws/feel of shifter make it tricky for a newbie to learn to drive stick on?

thanks for the help

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also does the newer manual have the fast clutch wearout problems the older ones do? i simply cant imagine a clutch wearing out with less than 60k miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t mean to sound like I’m criticizing so please take my words gently.

Perhaps you/she needs to get used to an auto. I don’t think I have seen any manuals available in the US. I have had the last three generations of Elantras and passed two of them down to my kids.

I have never had any issues getting on the freeways with any of the three versions. I plan my merge long before I hit the bottom of the ramp. On the rare occasion where I have to punch it yes it might sound bad when it down shifts. But that’s what autos do. I just finished a 3300 mile vacation in a 1.6L auto with air on the whole time. No problems.

If you look at the specs the EPA mileage is higher on the auto than the manual. Plus I would be afraid to train my wife on a clutch that I expect to last years and years. She actually knows how to drive one but I have seen her first hand using the clutch and It would never last beyond 100K.

If the size fits and the price fits get the auto. Most engines are getting smaller and the trannies are getting more gears. The manual is becoming a dinosaur in more ways than one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was just at my local dealer looking at Elantra's with my daughter. They had several Elantra's in stock with manual tranny's so they are available in the US. However, if fuel mileage is your main concern, I doubt you will get significant improvement with the manual. This of course depends on how you drive. When I drive a manual I have a tendency to wind up the RPM's between shifts, so I get less mileage than with an automatic. But as the saying goes .... YMMV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks there are lots in manuals avalible just not ath the dealer right down the road.

no she dont have much expeince with manuals

since ive been reading many horror stories about the clutch not lasting very long on the elantra(they may have fixed the problem) im leaning toward an auto.

i thought about what you said on reving the motor and negating the mpg difference(1 mpg highway).

thanks for the input fellas. anyone else?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The manual is MUCH quicker, and was $1000 cheaper when I bought mine. It was a no brainer for me. The gas mileage difference shouldn't be a factor. I've consistently beaten the EPA ratings both in the city and highway in mine. I average 27 city and 36 highway with 9000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys. after reading on this forum and other forums about the clutch not lasting. i have decided to buy her the auto on saterday.

its really a shame since i know the manual will be quicker and more connected to driving. however replacing the clutchs in a FWD car are not a cheap to replace at shop nor a easy job to do your own(been there done that).

again thanks guys, heres hoping im not having to post many times about clunking or problems. first foreign car i ever bought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts