Hyundai Forums banner

Making Calls with Bluetooth in a 2019 Kona SE AWD

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  NewKonaman 
#1 ·
I purchased a Kona SE AWD today and my cell phone was hooked up to the Bluetooth. I can receive calls, but am unable to make the calls with the button on the steering wheel. Every time I push it, something comes up about Auto Play Android, but I just want to use the Bluetooth. I had my phone hooked up to Bluetooth in an Elantra 2019 SELF and it worked perfectly. HELP

#2 ·
Do you have android auto installed on your phone? I think it's required to make a call from the steering wheel controls.

#3 ·
Our 2017 Santa Fe limited ultimate always gives us a message about "error downloading" something from our phone every time it is started. Very aggravating. Also, we can't turn off the "can't do this while driving" message and access the function. Also very aggravating, as the passenger could easily do it.

#4 ·
In our limited, I believe android auto must be installed on the phone, and the phone has to be connected to the USB port, for the steering wheel phone controls to work. It's the wife's car, and she has an apple phone, so we don't use my android phone very often, which is why I hedge the statement.

#5 ·
You said there was an error downloading? I think it is a connection issue. I would start by removing the connections from each device and re-pair them. I have a problem where google assistant won't work until I unlock my phone with my PIN. I setup smartlock, but that isn't that reliable.

#6 ·
Thank you very much for all the help. Hyundai told me I should be able to switch back and forth between Android Auto and the regular Bluetooth and make calls with the button on the steering wheel, but it is still not working. I've had it back to the dealer and they are checking more on this. Thanks again.

#9 ·
I'm very disappointed with my 2020 Kona AWD regarding the use of my phone with bluetooth. If I push the voice command button on the steering wheel, all I get this message "This feature is available when you connect - a phone supporting Android Auto or Apple CarPlay using a USB cable. I just want to be able to use my phone as in my previous car (2017 accent) when all I had to do was push the voice command button on the steering wheel. It is a pain to have to plug in my phone through Android Auto every time I want to use my phone. I was told that the voice button isn't available on the entry level but is on higher end model of Kona's. Is there a way to get around this? I think that this would be a safety issue if you have to be looking at the screen in your car to make a phone call.Android Auto isn't an improvement if bluetooth phone use is disable on some models.

#11 ·
Yes, it works that way but you got to take your eyes off the road to scroll through your contacts.Was much simpler in my older Accent..............just push button and say "call so and so". Car works fine with Android Auto but a pain to have to plug it in or out when you exit the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.