Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, don't laugh. I have a 05 Elantra which is nearly at 250,000km. As a result of this, it's not worth trading in for a new car - so I'm going to build it into a race car.

its stock - so a blank slate to work with.

Suggestions on the mechanical side of things??

And no, I'm not gonna burn it or whatever!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Ok, don't laugh. I have a 05 Elantra which is nearly at 250,000km. As a result of this, it's not worth trading in for a new car - so I'm going to build it into a race car.

You mean demolition car....>:D

its stock - so a blank slate to work with.

Suggestions on the mechanical side of things??

And no, I'm not gonna burn it or whatever!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Building it into a race car will cost lots of money
New engine and transmission to match
Or possibly put in a turbo charger
Beef up brakes and suspension

Good luck on your new project

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drive it, it worth what ever your payroll deposit is a week...

Silly people and "car not worth anything"........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm upgrading my road car. I do over 200km daily for work, and The Beast is just not worth keeping on the road. I can make it into a race car and have fun with it. It will be slow progress but it will be a fun project.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I'm upgrading my road car. I do over 200km daily for work, and The Beast is just not worth keeping on the road. I can make it into a race car and have fun with it. It will be slow progress but it will be a fun project.
If it's in that bad of shape are you sure you want it to go fast? May fall apart at 150 MPH. You would be better off buying a pre-built frame and do what you want from there. You can get them with the suspension, roll cage ect. Are you going for the outlaw class? What do you want in the end?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sell it to an individual (private sale). More work than a trade-in, but probably more $.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The car is in good condition it's just old! Won't fall apart as it's in good nick - it's just aging and I wanna race car!
Do you know what would happen if the engine had even 400 hp and you didn't do anything to the frame, although it's a unibody, and make it RWD? You have no idea what you're in for.
I can't help you....nobody can.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you know what would happen if the engine had even 400 hp and you didn't do anything to the frame, although it's a unibody, and make it RWD? You have no idea what you're in for.
I can't help you....nobody can.

but you must admit it is an intriguing idea, I too have fantasized over something like this . I have seen plenty of stock cars turned into race cars by their owners on television . Maybe these aren't really "race cars" but just cars made to go faster. However I do see your point though because I own a 2006 Elantra and it starts to shake if I go over 100 k and the faster I go the more it shakes. So I guess it would literally fall apart if it reached 200 k, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts