Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am having a major problem with my headlights and interior dash lights. When I have the headlights on and use the turn signals the dash lights will flash bright and the headlights will turn off for a second or two. This does not happen all the time, but is becoming more frequent. Of course of the 3 Hyundai dealers in the are do not have availability until the end of next week. Anyone experience this issue to would know a fix or even a temporary fix until next week. It it crazy being on the highway and having the lights turn off when changing lanes.:eek:

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi,
I am having a major problem with my headlights and interior dash lights. When I have the headlights on and use the turn signals the dash lights will flash bright and the headlights will turn off for a second or two. This does not happen all the time, but is becoming more frequent. Of course of the 3 Hyundai dealers in the are do not have availability until the end of next week. Anyone experience this issue to would know a fix or even a temporary fix until next week. It it crazy being on the highway and having the lights turn off when changing lanes.:eek:

Thanks,
Bill
Both headlights turn off at the same time? Does it matter which turn signal is used when it happens? Is it just the lights in the inst cluster that get brighter, or everything in the dash, radio, climate controls ect ect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
It is both headlights, typically happens with the right turn signal more often. All the dash lights (gauges, radio, climate, ...)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks,
It is both headlights, typically happens with the right turn signal more often. All the dash lights (gauges, radio, climate, ...)
Sounds like you may have a funky multi function switch. Not sure of a "temp fix" other than maybe trying to find the sweet spot when it happens, and trying not to hit it. Or maybe smack that thing around some when it malfunctions. Should be an easy find/fix for the dealer.

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, thats what I was thinking too. I guess I will just deal with for a week or more.
And, please use extreme caution until then. Nothing more frightening than driving at night and your only source of visibility goes on vacation...leaving you with a death grip on the wheel! And escalating BP!!!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
One thing you can do yourself, Bill, is check battery connections to make sure they're tight. Also check anywhere you see a wire bolted to the frame under the hood. Weird electrical problems are often traced to a loose ground wire, a ground wire bolted to a painted surface that needs to be sanded down (this has been reported on several newer Hyundais in this forum), or a grounding connection that has corroded.

Good luck and please post the results here.

Don

·
22,793 Posts
That would be the first thing I'd try. Just love "percussive maintenance" for electrical troubles.

Geoff
"Percussive Maintenance!" I like it! I couldn't have come up with a better analogy if I'd had access to 6 world dictionaries and a thesaurus. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Cav,

Just a thought, are the headlights in "auto" or "on"? I drive a '12 LTD, so I don't know your set-up. Just thinking out loud. But I'm thinking MF switch, too. Backfeed issue?

Good luck, be safe and PLEASE report back.

Jim

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Just a thought, are the headlights in "auto" or "on"?
There are some symptoms here that the MFS might not account for.....but what if the daylight sensor was bad and going into and out of "night" mode ??

If that was the case, the problem might be eliminated by manually switching the headlights ON.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts