Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic. However i work in a technical occupation and i'm interested in how things work.

My 2010 Santa Fe 3.5 V6 is running perfectly after 14000kms and just had a service and an oil change. What else can be done to help the car along? I've hard of others speaking about engine flushes and so on....

Just curious.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Engine flushes are a big scam that can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. At this point, the best thing you can do for your car is follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. No need to over-do it. :thumbsup:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 4 2010, 08:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361097
How about a nice coat of wax before winter and leave the rest per the manual?
Did that yesterday... :shades:

Guess will leave it at that. On another subject, just exactly what is the common consensus about when an engine is truly loosened up? Or does that even apply these days with thew march of technology?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (stuabroad @ Oct 4 2010, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361133
On another subject, just exactly what is the common consensus about when an engine is truly loosened up? Or does that even apply these days with thew march of technology?
We've had some interesting discussions about that for the '07~'09 models here as regards gas mileage. The majority were reporting some sort of jump in gas mileage at (trying to recall) around 5K miles? There was quite a long thread on this, but it's also been some time ago. I was one of those who was a tad disappointed in my mileage, but saw it creep up to a very respectable level after a while. Seems to me that mine settled to peak at about 7.5K miles. No one could ever pinpoint a reason for this with any confidence.

There was also a separate thread about new engine manufacturing processes and break-in procedures by the owner. Conclusion was that with today's manufacturing methods, by something on the order of 250~500 miles, 80% of the wear needed and associated with break-in was complete. There were others who said no break-in was necessary. I argued that if that were true, they wouldn't still be cross-honing cylinders on the line.

Wish I could point you to those two threads. They were interesting, but may be hard to find now due to age.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Being a 2010 w/ only 14kms on the ticker, you're not really in need of anything but keep her clean and tidy! I'm of the more ridiculous variety who goes through and changes every fluid and lube I can get at around the 36K mile mark, but that's me. :p I've changed every fluid but the P-steering and brake on my 2008 AWD 2.7L Santy.

Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts