Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I look at the back of the manual and it looks overwhelming compared to what I was doing before. Should I just take it to the dealer at the scheduled intervals or do it myself?

Does it need to have an oil change at exactly 3,000 miles or I lose the warranty?

Just looking for tips on how to keep my warranty and my turbo running excellent?

Also, I would prefer to run synthetic oil, but every 4,800 is a waste? Let me know prefer. I would like to keep this running fast.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
458 Posts
The maintenance on your car should be however you decide. If you choose to do it yourself, keep perfect records in case of any problems, I have taken my Hyundai's to the dealer for regular maintenance since 2000, this way all records are on Hyundai's computer system should a problem arise while traveling away from home. The dealer I use, uses a synthetic blend of oil on my 2.0T, I don't know what they use on the 2.4 or V-6 Hyundai models. Plus, when I take the car in for service, they wash and clean the interior.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The maintenance on your car should be however you decide. If you choose to do it yourself, keep perfect records in case of any problems, I have taken my Hyundai's to the dealer for regular maintenance since 2000, this way all records are on Hyundai's computer system should a problem arise while traveling away from home. The dealer I use, uses a synthetic blend of oil on my 2.0T, I don't know what they use on the 2.4 or V-6 Hyundai models. Plus, when I take the car in for service, they wash and clean the interior.
How do you know what type they use ? Can I buy the oil and filter myself and pay them to install ?

·
Registered
458 Posts
How do you know what type they use ? Can I buy the oil and filter myself and pay them to install ?
I asked them what they used in the 2.0T and they said a synthetic blend, the brand escapes me at the moment. As far as buying your own and having them do it, I doubt it very much but you can always ask them. I don't know what the prices are for oil changes in the Chicago area, but here we pay under $30.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Ogher than oil changes/filter and engine/cabin filters the scheduled maint list is a waste of money IMO, just inspections. You can keep your warranty intact by simply going in at 7500 and say oil change/filter only and at 30,000 same plus engine and cabin filters etc. You will save $$$$$ by specifying what you want done in lieu of saying do a 30,000 mile service and get ripped off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Usually, the warranty is voided if it is determined by the dealer that the owner's neglect in NOT following the maintenance schedule was the cause of that specific component's failure.

+1 cmerica
Keep records and receipts if possible.

I've posted the oil TSB before and reiterate my use of Valvoline 5w-40, changing the oil at around 5k, using Hyundai filters. I drive ~400 miles/week and don't mind spending $7 for a quart of the oil. Someday I'll try to find it cheaper online.
It's my personal preference and results in my peace of mind. I do all the "inspections" and work myself and note them in my service log.

The cah, 53,200 miles, has nevah been to the dealer except for blueLink upgrade, seat back replacement and a reset of the ECU. All of which were my choice and done at no charge.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually, the warranty is voided if it is determined by the dealer that the owner's neglect in NOT following the maintenance schedule was the cause of that specific component's failure.

+1 cmerica
Keep records and receipts if possible.

I've posted the oil TSB before and reiterate my use of Valvoline 5w-40, changing the oil at around 5k, using Hyundai filters. I drive ~400 miles/week and don't mind spending $7 for a quart of the oil. Someday I'll try to find it cheaper online.
It's my personal preference and results in my peace of mind. I do all the "inspections" and work myself and note them in my service log.

The cah, 53,200 miles, has nevah been to the dealer except for blueLink upgrade, seat back replacement and a reset of the ECU. All of which were my choice and done at no charge.
Ogher than oil changes/filter and engine/cabin filters the scheduled maint list is a waste of money IMO, just inspections. You can keep your warranty intact by simply going in at 7500 and say oil change/filter only and at 30,000 same plus engine and cabin filters etc. You will save $$$$$ by specifying what you want done in lieu of saying do a 30,000 mile service and get ripped off.
I asked them what they used in the 2.0T and they said a synthetic blend, the brand escapes me at the moment. As far as buying your own and having them do it, I doubt it very much but you can always ask them. I don't know what the prices are for oil changes in the Chicago area, but here we pay under $30.
Thanks for the replies.

I would prefer changing my oil myself honestly. But I don't know how to do the inspections and replacement of parts? So do I keep receipts and log of Oil changes, Filters, and Fuel Additives, but take the car in for inspections?

I want to keep the warranty and this running new.

Sorry, this is my first car purchase so I am all new to this maintenance program.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just completed my first scheduled maintenance of an oil change and fuel system cleaner at 2,955 miles on the ODO myself. I logged the service on My Huyndai on the HyundaiUSA website and wrote it up in my service book.

I would say because of the turbo you will want to follow the recommended Hyundai schedule. I am not saying that it is unreliable just saying better safe than sorry because the turbo spins at such a high RPM is it a good idea to follow it. For reference on my 2006 4Runner I use M1 Extended Performance (good for up to 15,000 miles or 1 year) 5w-30 every 12,000 miles and change the oil filter half way. The 4Runner has a 6,000 mile oil change interval. I did the same oil filter and filter change on my 2003 Camry for 10 years with no oil issues. To me the turbo charger is the difference.

As for dino, dino/syn blend or 100% syn oils, that is totally your choice and you will not be wrong with any brand or type as long as it is the right viscosity. I have always used Mobil 1 oils in my cars just because I think and have read it is one of the best. I also use K&N oil filters because they use a synthetic filter media and I read that syn oil = syn filter.

The oil is the life blood of the engine and saving $10 to $15 per oil change using dino oil versus syn oil is sacrifice I am willing to make.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry Dude bad advise, you drive a non turbo Elantra where a 7,500 miles oil change interval is okay but everything changes when you have a turbo charger. Turbos spin to up to 150,000 RPM and it used engine oil to lubricate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts