Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something I dont understand....if you take a 2009 Sante Fe from Nova Scotia, Canada and an identical one from Maine, USA, there are two completely different maintenace schedules for exactly the same conditions.
The Sante Fe in the states does not require any service until 7500 miles (approx 12,000kms), whereas the exact same Canadian version requires its first service at approx 3700 miles (6000kms).
Why the large disparity in service requirements for the exact same vehicle in the exact same conditions

No...my only maint sched is 6 months or 6000kms....I put on maybe 12000kms per year (7500miles) not exactly severe

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
There are in fact two service schedules for the American-spec vehicles; one for normal use (7,500 miles - 12,000 km) and the other for severe conditions (3,750 miles - 6,000 km). Are there not two recommendations for Canadian models?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No...my only maint sched is 3 months or 6000kms....I put on maybe 12000kms per year (7500miles) not exactly severe

This one happens to be from a dealer in Quebec, but is the same one I was given (brochure)
2009 Sante fe maint

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I find that when you read what they call severe , almost everybody fall under severe.

However oil changes are the cheapest maint you can do. Local dealer here sells the superior OEM filter for $6.95 ; which is cheaper than the Fram crap that Canadian Tire sells.

I buy OEM filters and good oil ; its not something its good to skimp on IMO.
Some people have an oil life monitor tell them to wait 10,000 kms plus to change me oil ; I would ignore it and go 7500 at the max.

Dealer is mainly concerned with getting car past the warranty ; as an owner I plan to have it much beyond that so I don't cut corners.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Must remember that when looking at the criteria for falling under "severe" usage, you don't have to meet all criteria, but just one. So most people fall under the severe usage. For Canada, I would think that the extreme changes in temperature season to season and cold winters for most of Canada, contribute to just having the one maintenance schedule.

The only way you would fall under normal usage would be if all you did was highway miles and no severe temp deviations...

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 6k km oil change interval is a joke. Why do other manufacturers have 10, 15, 20k+ km intervals?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Some have synthetic oil from the factory , and very low micron spec for their filters I think.

Dealer only cares about the warranty period, specing a long change interval helps some of them sell cars.

One of my Elantra's has 350k kilometers on it, with mostly 6k oil changes. Still plated and used daily.

Its like lifetime transmission oil; whose liftime --the warranty or the vehicle's lifetime.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (santa06 @ Dec 19 2010, 10:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381626
Some have synthetic oil from the factory , and very low micron spec for their filters I think.

Dealer only cares about the warranty period, specing a long change interval helps some of them sell cars.

One of my Elantra's has 350k kilometers on it, with mostly 6k oil changes. Still plated and used daily.

Its like lifetime transmission oil; whose liftime --the warranty or the vehicle's lifetime.

Some do spec synthetic, but even my dad's Volvo s60 has 16k km intervals on dino oil. Most cars are 12k km or more these day, so 6k is truly pathetic. We run Chev trucks at work and routinely go 10+ k between oil changes (GM uses the condition based oil change interval, not mileage-based intervals). We get rid of the trucks at about 160k (4y) and have never had an engine failure. This Hyundai's attempt to help its dealers line their pockets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And why does the US Santa Fe have a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty and the Canadian is 5 year 60,000? Same factory.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Power train is not bumper to bumper coverage.

So what they have is another 60 k kilometers of driveline coverage , to help sell cars in US.

Sales are good enough here that they don't need to bother. I believe Mitsubishi is the same way.

All three Hyundai in my driveway made it past 160,000 kilometers without any driveline issues anyway ; so extra warranty wouldn't have been not needed.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (saugen48 @ Dec 19 2010, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381556
No...my only maint sched is 3 months or 6000kms....I put on maybe 12000kms per year (7500miles) not exactly severe

This one happens to be from a dealer in Quebec, but is the same one I was given (brochure)
2009 Sante fe maint
Consult your owner's manual for the official factory recommendations. There's a regular, 12,000 km service schedule as well as a "severe" one. Most dealerships base their recommendations on the severe schedule, often throwing in some additional items which are essential to your service manager's early retirement. :grin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 20 2010, 04:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381652
Consult your owner's manual for the official factory recommendations. There's a regular, 12,000 km service schedule as well as a "severe" one. Most dealerships base their recommendations on the severe schedule, often throwing in some additional items which are essential to your service manager's early retirement. :grin:

That's exactly where I got my info from....

Service #1 $38.95*
•Replace engine oil and filter
•Inspect exterior lights
•Inspect tire pressure
•Check coolant, battery, brake, and washer fluid levels
•Inspect and lubricate all latches, hinges and locks

Its not the cost, its the doubled difference between USA/Canada...No one can say the extremes are worse in Canada than they are in the states....There are some pretty drastic diffs in temps in places like Minn, Alaska etc that are no worse than they would be in "Dogsbreath Saskatchewan"

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 20 2010, 12:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381652
The regular interval calls for 6k changes on my 2010.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Each country's marketing company can set their own technical specification and warranty conditions as well as their own service schedule.

Differences between Canada and USA are minor compared to differences between North America and Europe despite almost identical vehicles - the difference in assembly plant doesn't account for the differences in local practice. This isn't a Hyundai thing - it applies to almost all brands.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I realize that, but where would the justification come from with two identical countries side be each as it were.. two people could be 10 miles apart, separated by an imaginary line (border) yet the differences are quite dramatic

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm amazed that people make such a big deal about what is essentially the cost of 2 tanks of gas per year (Assuming 15,000 mile per year average). That's pretty much how much two extra oil changes per year cost. (3750 mile vs. 7500 mile changes) I would even argue that two tanks of gas would cost more. Are you willing to put your power train warranty in jeopardy over what amounts to the cost of two tanks of gas every year?

So you are talking about $600 over a 10 year period. Really? Is it worth it?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Everybody is doing well in this topic but I want you all to keep the emotional level in check as I can see things spiraling out of control fairly quickly. Fear not...you've done nothing wrong but I'm just saying please keep it civil. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Just to emphathise the difference, the oil change interval in the UK is 20,000 miles or 1 year on 2010-2011 models and the warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (DUSlider @ Dec 20 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381900
I'm amazed that people make such a big deal about what is essentially the cost of 2 tanks of gas per year (Assuming 15,000 mile per year average). That's pretty much how much two extra oil changes per year cost. (3750 mile vs. 7500 mile changes) I would even argue that two tanks of gas would cost more. Are you willing to put your power train warranty in jeopardy over what amounts to the cost of two tanks of gas every year?

So you are talking about $600 over a 10 year period. Really? Is it worth it?
I don't believe anyone posting on this thread mused about not changing the oil as per the recommended frequency. But I, like others, pointed out the randomness of Hyundai's prescribed intervals, and more frequent oil changes as compared to other manufacturers. There is no difference in the weather in Alberta vs Minnesota, ND, MT, etc. Likewise, the weather in S BC is more temperate than in all northern states except for probably Washington and Oregon. There is no technical justification for having an oil change at 6k km. It is a waste of time and money. This isn't 1980 and the days of the 3-4k mi oil changes are behind us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts