Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the dealership sticker says one thing (change oil at next 5,000 miles or 5 months) and the owners manual says change the oil at 7,500 miles and at least once a year then who do I follow? If I don't go by the dealership maintenance schedule could the power train warranty be voided?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i go by the factory maintenance log, SUPPOSED to be with every new car, in the owner's manual packet. it seems that lots of dealers REMOVE this from the packet. in our log, there is normal and severe service. the dealers all say use the severe service intervals. main reason is that they can see the car twice as often, and upsell stuff. to unsuspecting/uninformed owners. if your momma tells you to be home by midnite, but your friend says it is ok to stay till 2 am, who you gonna believe?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
I would make sure to keep all receipts and records of maintenance done
Name of shop (address and phone number), dates, times, cost, maintenance or repair done

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if I do my own oil changes? The severe and normal oil change intervals are the same in the book but the dealer sticker still says 5,000 mile/5 months.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What if I do my own oil changes? The severe and normal oil change intervals are the same in the book but the dealer sticker still says 5,000 mile/5 months.
I have never seen the same schedule for severe and normal, in regards to oil changes. Maybe the length of time differs. If you change your own oil, just keep great records. I have my paper files, USB drive and I upload them to a cloud site - never know when I'll need them on a road trip, or my house burns down with the records.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It certainly does show that for my 17 spark the same for severe and normal oil change intervals. I thought that to be strange too but I double checked it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The owner's manual is your bible. All dealer's publish their own maintenance schedule primarily to increase visits to their service department. Disregard what the dealer gave you go by the manual.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The Spark has an oil life monitor that will tell you when to change the oil. Change the oil once a year or when the car tells you to change it. The OLM counts cold starts, overall mileage and rpm to determine a safe interval based on the car's usage and environment variables.

Hyundai does not offer an oil life monitor but there are rumors...
Running without the OLM, I change my oil every 5k miles since I'm not quite in Utopia and not quite running as City Cab usage. "Normal" is a car driving in a laboratory at a year round constant 70F in a HEPA compliant room. "Severe" means used as a city cab in Ecuador with people shoveling volcanic ash into the air intake, idling for hours at a time with Play Doh blocking at least 40% of the radiator, and driving only up 15% inclines. Your daily usage in somewhere in between, so your oil change interval should be somewhere in between.

If you spend a chunk of time every day in traffic, or the car sees temperatures below 40 or above 90 for months at a time, change at 5k miles. Over the 100k warranty, it's an extra 7 oil changes - not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm making this more difficult than. It should be I know lol.
There's nothing wrong with being prudent. If you haven't owned Hyundai in the past, it's perfectly normal to ask questions because you may not want to buy a "maintenance sensitive" car that costs a lot of money to keep on the road. If your drives are "nice-n-easy", a 6k interval should be fine. If the Spark's Oil Life Monitor is directing you toward a 6k interval (meaning it shows 50-55% oil life at 3k miles), then the Elantra should do well with the same.

Some Toyota and Chrysler engines are sludgebuckets that need nearly constant oil changes to keep them from failing. Others (Corolla and Subaru) are often oil burners that need frequent oil checks. CVT equipped Hondas need nearly constant ATF changes, as recommended by the dealer, to keep them moving under their own power until the warranty runs out. These cars that come highly recommended by magazines that pride themselves on being the experts on the taste of canned vanilla pudding and washing machines are the bane of people who want the lowest cost per mile. My sister made the mistake of buying a Honda some years ago and the engine failed at 46k miles. She switched to Hyundai and never had a problem since. She's currently driving a Kia Optima hybrid (Sonata Hybrid with a tiger nose) and it is trouble-free just like the cars that came before it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dad was almost going to get a used certified sonata but ended up getting a Camry instead. They are more of a Toyota family I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh one more thing does the new 18 elantra use synthetic oil from the factory? I would definitely use it. I switched to fully synthetic instead of the synthetic blend that my 17 spark had from the factory.

·
Registered
843 Posts
So maybe I should do it at 6,000 miles instead of 7,500 miles.
6,000 miles would be fine. I do it at 5,000 miles, because it's easier to remember "5, 10, 15, 20..." than "6, 12, 18, 24..." And over the course of the life of the vehicle it's really not much more expensive.

·
Registered
961 Posts
In Canada, severe can be at 5,000 kms... 3,500 miles.. WHAT!? LOL

I don't have the 5 year free oil changes on my Elantra but I do my own, every 8,000 kms, OEM filter + full synthetic. To me it's worth it and I keep detailed records for warranty. In the big picture, fluids and basic maintenance is cheap if you want to keep the car a long time as I d.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I don't have concrete evidence, but according to my old GM who now manages a Hyundai dealership, new Hyundais are shipping from the factory with Quaker State conventional oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts