Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need input for my maintenance frequency for short distance city driving.

Driving 4 miles per week.

Driving 2400 yearly 90% city.

How often to change oil,filter.

Frequency of transmission oil change.

Frequency of coolant change.

Impact on tires and battery.

Any other monitoring needed.

Brand and grade suggestions appreciated.

My needs may be beyond severe suggested in manual.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Wow, other than oil and filter changes I would go with what is in the owner's manual for severe. As to the oil well, seems like a waste of money to do oil/filter changes every 6 months with less than 1200 miles on the clock. now if you could at least drive that vehicle for 20 miles + one day a week to warm up that engine it would be nice.

So my opinion or if it were me living in Canada I would go with a 0W20- or 30 synthetic oil to get the flow up there quickly especially in winter and start off with every 6 months and maybe have it tested to see if you could go a year on the synthetic with the very low miles. Or, if you have to go less as well. tires and battery, should not make much difference, battery could have a shorter life without a long time to recharge but tires will have to be replaced due to age and not mileage after about 6 years depending on cracking.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, other than oil and filter changes I would go with what is in the owner's manual for severe. As to the oil well, seems like a waste of money to do oil/filter changes every 6 months with less than 1200 miles on the clock. now if you could at least drive that vehicle for 20 miles + one day a week to warm up that engine it would be nice.

So my opinion or if it were me living in Canada I would go with a 0W20- or 30 synthetic oil to get the flow up there quickly especially in winter and start off with every 6 months and maybe have it tested to see if you could go a year on the synthetic with the very low miles. Or, if you have to go less as well. tires and battery, should not make much difference, battery could have a shorter life without a long time to recharge but tires will have to be replaced due to age and not mileage after about 6 years depending on cracking.
I do drive about 30 miles once a month on highway.

Synthetic oil and OEM filter was changed after 9 months after 1200 miles.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Four miles per week is not enough to burn out moisture in the oil. Get it out on the weekends and at least do a 15 mile trip, even if you don’t have anywhere to go.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree with what armtdm said. I would switch oil changes to one year. Because of the engine settlement thing, I've switched my oil changes to between 8 and 9 months. Seriously, I have a 4-1/2 year old Sonata and I don't expect to hit 30,000 miles until summer. And changing a good synthetic oil at between 3500 and 4500 is a waste, now I'll be closer to 6000 miles.

Two thumbs up on the 0W20- or 30 synthetic oil suggestion. I've used 0W20 with NO issues since the first oil change. The other suggestion; "that vehicle for 20 miles + one day a week to warm up that engine it would be nice" another really good idea.

I use Top Tier fuel but I still do one Techron fuel injection cleaner once every summer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with what armtdm said. I would switch oil changes to one year. Because of the engine settlement thing, I've switched my oil changes to between 8 and 9 months. Seriously, I have a 4-1/2 year old Sonata and I don't expect to hit 30,000 miles until summer. And changing a good synthetic oil at between 3500 and 4500 is a waste, now I'll be closer to 6000 miles.

Two thumbs up on the 0W20- or 30 synthetic oil suggestion. I've used 0W20 with NO issues since the first oil change. The other suggestion; "that vehicle for 20 miles + one day a week to warm up that engine it would be nice" another really good idea.

I use Top Tier fuel but I still do one Techron fuel injection cleaner once every summer.
Thanks for reinforcing suggestion of 0w-30, I just changed oil to Pennzoil ultimate synthetic from platinum synthetic, may go full year this time.

Do use top tier fuel from Shell exclusively.

Use techron fuel system cleaner every 1800 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts