Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I have been driving my '13 accent practically every day and really enjoy it. When I bought it, they told me I'd get oil changes for life if I take it to the place I bought it (Thompson Hyundai in Dundalk, MD) for maintenance. So far, I took it in around 5000 miles for my first free oil change. The sticker says I have to come back at 7500 miles, which I just passed.

So, I've heard dealers can change a lot for maintenance work, and that it might be wise to go elsewhere. What am I in for at 7500?

Would it be beneficial to go to the dealer in order to get the free oil changes?

What shops are good?

Anything particularly important to know regarding the warranty and maintenance?

Thanks,
Elliott

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
You have an owners manual and a service schedule the required services listed therein are all you need to do to maintain your warranty. Service work does not have to be done by the dealer you just need to keep track of your receipts if you go elsewhere for service. But no reason not to take advantage of the free oil changes.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
The sticker says I have to come back at 7500 miles, which I just passed.
That can't be right.
NOBODY recommends oil changes at 2,500 mile intervals.

Many try to "suck you into" a severe service interval of 3,500 miles.......but if THEY are paying for it, what the heck.

Just don't let them talk you into paying for anything without checking it out first. The NEXT oil change interval will be plenty soon enough to do anything that they "recommend".

And try not to be paranoid about dealers screwing you. Not ALL of them are thieves.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The free oil change deal doesn't sound like a bad idea, but when they get you in for the oil change, they will most likely start hitting you up for other things like tire rotation, air and cabin filter changes and vehicle serviceability inspections (battery belts etc).. That's where they'll probably get their money back for the 'free' oil.

Next time you're in for an oil change, check at the service desk to see what they charge for the extras and compare them with other service stations in your area. Then you'll be able to tell if it is 'worth it' or not.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I remember my dealership wanted to charge me $50 JUST for tire rotation! Oil changes were $50 for Mobil Standard Oil and a non-OEM oil filter.

No thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So if you have all future maintenance done at the dealer, they will change your oil for free?
In this case, get a print out off ALL services that they do, coolant, trans service, air filter prices, etc. Compare like others said to other places in the area and decide from there. Remember that base dealer costs are usually 90 dollars and hour....so things can get pricey fast. IMO if you have a family mechanic that you trust, have them do everything that warranty asks for. Dealers WILL get their money back for the free oil changes by charging you up the wazoo for labor.

I get all my maintenance and oil done at my local FSCAC since they have very fair prices and I have come to become good chums with the guys there. Plus, they have Kendall oil :)

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
So if you have all future maintenance done at the dealer, they will change your oil for free?
It's probably like the deal I got, no requirements to go there for any services. Free, lifetime, oil changes for the vehicle. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and they're free every four months. Can't go wrong with that and they can push whatever they want on me, I'm very good at saying; "Just the oil change, thanks."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far! I'll RTFM and compare some prices. Looks like Firestone is good bet. A new one just opened near me, it's a brand new building.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Then again I was stupid enough to pay $13.00 for an OEM oil filter the other day so, yeah...the term "stealership" is usually pretty accurate. That being said, I was surprised how good the quality was with this filter. A nearby dealer sells it for the same price so those are my two options if I don't order it on line or drive 25 miles. I guess I should of checked Kia...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts