Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm currently waiting for my car to undergo service at 7500 miles. It's costing me 129.99 plus tax. Is this a reasonable price? Seems a bit high for me.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Hi guys. I'm currently waiting for my car to undergo service at 7500 miles. It's costing me 129.99 plus tax. Is this a reasonable price? Seems a bit high for me.
Yup, high.

Why do people drop car off for service without asking PRIOR to dropping it off what is being done and then comparing it to the manual? I am seeing a LOT of questions on xxx service and the pat answer is "read the manual" and if its not in the manual, its fluff!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yup, high.

Why do people drop car off for service without asking PRIOR to dropping it off what is being done and then comparing it to the manual? I am seeing a LOT of questions on xxx service and the pat answer is "read the manual" and if its not in the manual, its fluff!
How true and also puzzles me and our two grown sons 35 and 40 do the same thing and when I ask their answer is "it's no big deal and/or it's only money". I can only attribute that to a generational type thing and I always want to know how much even tho I can afford whatever I want. I guess being reasonable and at least watching my pennies is why I was able to retire at 42 and never had to work again, own our own home and pay cash for everything except for one vehicle at a time that I finance out of "excess" monthly money. Until just recently if I could do something myself and save a buck I did it as a matter of routine and those measy "bucks" really add up over the years.

Larry

·
Registered
508 Posts
How true and also puzzles me and our two grown sons 35 and 40 do the same thing and when I ask their answer is "it's no big deal and/or it's only money". I can only attribute that to a generational type thing and I always want to know how much even tho I can afford whatever I want. I guess being reasonable and at least watching my pennies is why I was able to retire at 42 and never had to work again, own our own home and pay cash for everything except for one vehicle at a time that I finance out of "excess" monthly money. Until just recently if I could do something myself and save a buck I did it as a matter of routine and those measy "bucks" really add up over the years.

Larry
I don't think it is necessarily generational, I think it is a matter of they simply don't want to think about or deal with it.

I am in your sons age range (34) and if I have the ability to do something, I will tackle it myself. I prefer to get the satisfaction of doing something myself, rather than the headache of picking apart someone's work.

To the OP, enjoy your $130.00 oil change, possible tire rotation, and visual inspection...that is all you really needed at 7500 miles. Hopefully they at least bought you dinner first ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Its pretty disgusting how dealers take advantage of people. There's almost no integrity any more :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think it is necessarily generational, I think it is a matter of they simply don't want to think about or deal with it.

I am in your sons age range (34) and if I have the ability to do something, I will tackle it myself. I prefer to get the satisfaction of doing something myself, rather than the headache of picking apart someone's work.

To the OP, enjoy your $130.00 oil change, possible tire rotation, and visual inspection...that is all you really needed at 7500 miles. Hopefully they at least bought you dinner first ;)
Well I congratulate you and I admit I might be over stereotyping things, but based on observing trends and the general attitude prevalent today with the out of control consumer credit card debit and what I can only call lack of commitment in interpersonal relationships shown in the extraordinary high divorce rate and violence in general I still believe things in general have changed from say 40 years ago and today in how the working segment of society handles financial type matters and life in general. I'm not saying the old ways/times were better, only different in some very noticeable areas and one has to have seen and lived thru both I feel to really see and appreciate the differences.

Anyway back to our regularly scheduled program:p

Larry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Watch that stuff. If you look at the details you will see they charge like 30 to "inspect" your brake pads. lol Crazy!

·
Registered
729 Posts
*face palm* ...that is all.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I am not too far behind rkann (29 y.o. here) and I have very little extra money due to this wonderful economy (not taking political sides cuz I blame BOTH parties). So to have dealer charge me for any maintenance items that I can do myself usually results in my never going to that dealer again or a thorough dressing down of the service adviser (I've been known to ask them to "Show me in the manual" where it states I need xyz service/part).

Some of the members of my generation will go for this (they also tend to have the newest phones, lots of CC debt, and can name all of the latest pop/rap/etc star's albums and children), but a lot of us come from middle class (read POOR) families that are DIY'ers to the extreme. If we have the means to do this stuff (garage, tools, and time) we will do it.

I have NEVER had any maintenance services done at a dealer unless they assisted with a warranty claim (1 oil change to prove that my oil pan was leaking).

OK rant over

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Reasonable minus the 1. 29.99 to change your oil. That's all it needs. Tell them they are thieves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts