Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Canada we have service 1,2,3,4. I have 29000km or 18000 miles on my ride. About 1.5 years ago I had a "spring special" which I was told was more than a service 3. Now with about 15000km more on the odometer I inquired about a "fall special" and they say its not as good as a service 3. The car is 31 months old, If I go with a lesser service is the dealer going to void my warranty. I am just asking because my car has about a years worth of driving.

·
22,793 Posts
You're worrying too much. Look at the scheduled service in your owner's manual that is recommended by Hyundai. Use that as your reference. I wouldn't add anything from the Dealer nor expedite it just because his service department says it needs to be done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems the basic service they did covers everything in the manual. I am guessing any seasonal/fall maintenance package from a 3rd party will do?

·
22,793 Posts
Just keep the receipts. You're covered! Don't expect your dealer to be forthcoming with any tip like that. It would be taking money outta his wallet!

And if you haven't secured a 3rd party to perform these PM's, ask around for reputable references. A good mechanic is like a mailman or a minister. They know more about you than anyone else. ;)

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
the dealer going to void my warranty
Who told you that? If you're embellishing the story then fine, but if those are the exact words spoken by the service advisor I would ask the manager to fire that person. Your warranty contract is with Hyundai Canada, and your service manager is well aware that no dealer has the power to "void" it.

It seems the basic service they did covers everything in the manual.
In that case you're done. Congrats :57:

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
And if you haven't secured a 3rd party to perform these PM's, ask around for reputable references. A good mechanic is like a mailman or a minister. They know more about you than anyone else. ;)
+1 Richard has such a way with words :)

If by some chance you're in Ottawa PM me and I'll give you the name of the guy who takes care of me.

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, Don. You're too kind. However, I neglected to add "Doctor." Now, there's a guy... :wink2:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I don't mind paying a little extra for the service if they're going to take care of me if something goes wrong. Last 2 times I've been there seems like they've been pushing stuff I think the manual doesn't agree on. Like change brake fluid every 2 years, regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you believe that you can build up loyalty points with a dealer in the event something goes wrong and it will come out of their pocket: well, I have a bridge in great condition that I would like to sell you. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
If you believe that you can build up loyalty points with a dealer in the event something goes wrong and it will come out of their pocket: well, I have a bridge in great condition that I would like to sell you. Those days are long gone.
Did you have a bad experience in the past?

Sometimes a cynical attitude becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. When I worked in the car business there were many regular customers who were a pleasure to deal with, and others who only showed up for free warranty work and who referred to the dealership staff as "you people". Guess which customers were served first, and could count on a borderline warranty claim being slipped through the system with a friendly wink?

Not saying one should be a sucker and buy the $99 Stem Lube & Muffler Flush package. Just that loyalty does have its advantages.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you community for your input. Here's what I did, did some research of local shops and went to one that had a good rating. I went to their service desk, they asked me make/model, odometer and year. They just said out seasonal service is all you need, cars not old enough to worry about other fluids. It was kind of nice to not get any upselling, told me flat out that's all you need. In fact I was so impressed that I decided to buy my winter tires through them as well at $20 cheaper than the dealer.

Yeah I will have to say some dealers must be out their to squeeze every dime out of you.

In response to Don67, my last warranty claim took 3 trips to the dealer, talking with Hyundai of Canada several times, Taking the service manager for a ride so he could acknowledge something was wrong, talking with the GM, all over the course of several weeks. Having been a customer their for 9 years and buying 2+ cars there and doing all my service there made no difference. Sorry

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Having been a customer their for 9 years and buying 2+ cars there and doing all my service there made no difference. Sorry
I'm sorry you felt let down in that case, and rest assured that it wasn't my goal to start a war of anecdotes. The internet wins that battle every time. :rolleyes:

My goal was simply to point out the general rule, as observed from hundreds of random samples. Perhaps we can agree that there are exceptions to every rule. Some dealers are bad dealers, and all good dealers have bad days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me neither, just wanted to point out $$$ matter to some dealers not loyalty. I think the recent popularity of the Hyundai Kia brand has put some complacency on some dealers. They know they can always sell to the next guy or gal.

I can always count on the community to be honest. Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've never met a dealership or service writer that isnt trying to upsell at service time myself. That being said, my wife has a service writer that her and her coworker have used and now go out of their way by about 15 miles to see at a different dealership than they bought their Toyotas from. He and his family have become family friends, definitely NOT a typical scenario...too bad he's not the service writer at my Hyundai dealer though!

He supposedly is a customer favorite and treats all of his customers like people, not ATM macines - keeps people visiting the dealership for repairs as they need them instead of scaring them away.

·
22,793 Posts
^ Nice to hear the positive stories. I'm getting excited as my free oil change is due this week. At 30,950 (?) last night, I can't wait to hear what the guy says about the 30k recommended service. I looked in the little black book. I've already done everything BUT inspected the fuel filter and the (I think) fuel pump filter? Something. Well, I an't gonna mess with it. And neither are they.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Most services at the 7500 mile intervals are inspections, way overpriced service. Now, even if you did not have an item inspected by them and it fails they still have to cover it under warranty. So why pay $$$ for a 15,000 or 30,000 mile service, just get the items that actually need replacement, oil/filter, cabin, engine air and at 30,000 not much else. In the last 30 years I have never gone to a dealer and said do the XX service. I specify exactly what service to perform and nothing else. No inspections unless I request it.

But, not saying everyone should do this, it is whatever lets you sleep at night

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Now, even if you did not have an item inspected by them and it fails they still have to cover it under warranty.
Hmmm. Now for example let's say they recommend to check the belts at a certain interval. With your advice the belts should not be inspected until they fail, but then if they fail can't they blame you for not inspecting them at the recommended interval and decline warranty?

·
22,793 Posts
Other than possibly placing a tension gauge on the belt, and I can't see them doing that, they're just going to "look at it." I can look at it. The recommended word, here, is "inspect." Define "inspect." LOL

I can inspect my brake fluid, antifreeze overflow, etc. I have already changed my engine and cabin air filters. Tires rotated, balanced, etc. Have an empty bottle of Techron in the trunk. Plan on asking the service writer if I can borrow his trash can to throw it away as he's writing down the mileage for the oil change. I like to "set the mood" in the service drive. So, why should I pay them $200-300 (or whatever) to look at, and replace, the same stuff most of us are capable of doing?

I have the receipts for the filters, yada-yada-yada. One look at Ingrid and any tech worth his wrench-turning money can tell she's been well provided for by her owner.

And if the alternator belt should break? Well, I'll buy another one and replace it myself. That's not a warranty item, anyway.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I can inspect my brake fluid, antifreeze overflow, etc. I have already changed my engine and cabin air filters. Tires rotated, balanced, etc. Have an empty bottle of Techron in the trunk. Plan on asking the service writer if I can borrow his trash can to throw it away as he's writing down the mileage for the oil change. I like to set the mood in the service drive

Take a swig from the bottle in front of them then toss it in their can ......... now that sets the mood.:eek:

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Belt inspection is simply looking at belt for signs of cracking or fraying. Anybody can do this in their driveway. Same goes for hoses, check for cracks or bulges.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts