Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone knows the ultraviolet radiation and heat from the sun causes damage over time. The common solution is to slather some solution that minimizes or protects the material in question. Here is the issue and the point of my thread.

Most Hyundai's seem to be made with the same general quality and type materials so this thread (if it goes anywhere) should benefit many.

As the title states, looking for best practices on maintaining the interior:
  • Soft touch plastics - upper dash/door inserts
  • Hart touch plastics - interior panels & trim, door trim, center console etc.
  • Leather - seating, steering wheel, shift boot and door inserts
  • Carpet - carpet, floor mats and rear deck area
  • Fabric - cloth seats and headliner
  • Hard plastic displays - dash board, clock
  • Soft/ Touch Displays- navigation/ touchscreen, LCD A/C display

SCOPE OF THIS THREAD:
How would a person keep the interior looking like the day it came off the showroom floor? This question probably has been asked dozens of times but information is never in one place and this thread has a twist. The twist is new off the show room floor vehicles all interior trim is mat (with a few shiny piano black trim). This mat finish is what I am trying to keep.

This is not a name brand name bashing thread, but just looking for insight if there are any methods or products that work well and maintain the factory mat look of a cars interior.

ISSUES ENCOUNTERED:
No matter the product I use, all leave a residue. This residue is usually shiny or semi shiny. Even products that are labeled "Natural shine" or "Low Gloss". Many products leave the surface not only shiny but slick, which in some cases may be dangerous. A slick steering wheel or leather seat you slide in can't be good, not to mention it gets on clothing and hands.

Some may like this look, but I'm hoping that many will prefer a more natural look. Short of not cleaning or protecting (maybe just using as hand swifter to pick up dust or small debris) I'm not sure what I should do.

SOLUTIONS:
The "meat and potatoes" of this thread. Any and ALL opinions welcome and wanted. :nerd:

I'll start with a few ideas I have not tried but found on you tube for leather cleaning:
  • Cleaning leather with Coconut Oil shampoo
  • Woolite laundry detergent and a tooth brush

The last two on the list seemed to leave a clean mat finish on the seats. Just not sure it's safe. Has anyone tried these or have any other solutions to cleaning ANY interior part and keeping it safe from heat and UV but also keeping it the OEM mat finish?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i gotta ask, why? does it add value? while i am sure it does, the amount of effort and cost of supplies FAR exceeds what little increase there is. i'd rather take a nap

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i gotta ask, why? does it add value? while i am sure it does, the amount of effort and cost of supplies FAR exceeds what little increase there is. i'd rather take a nap

I'm not sure of what you mean. Don't you clean your car from time to time? Don't you want the car to look nice and be clean?

I'm not a fanatic, but I detail clean my car(s)s interior maybe once a month. Vacuum it out maybe twice in that same month. Spent maybe an hour total doing this. Since this is my first Hyundai and although is a 2014, I got it with only 18K on it. The interior looks like new for the most part. Why not take care of it and keep it that way?

I'm looking for a solid solution, so if any one way works and it costs me $20 and those supplies last me 6 months, that's money well spent. No?

What am I missing? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but seriously? :confused:

Thank your taking the time though and responding.

Reactions: wallyjay

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Go to Autogeek. They have lots of products and you can email them with your questions and they will give you knowledgeable information back. Lots of great detailing info there in one place.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to Autogeek. They have lots of products and you can email them with your questions and they will give you knowledgeable information back. Lots of great detailing info there in one place.
Good advise thanks. I guess there is not a lot of enthusiasm for a clean car in the Hyundai forums. I was hoping to engauge the community here to see what you guys and gals do. :frown:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hopefully you will get more feedback from the forum. Maybe people are not available because they are out cleaning their cars :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Maybe once rarely twice a year I get my Accent detailed, usually by a low cost mobile detailer. I get it washed from time to time when it's bad like this last week when I drove over to Kissimmee and covered the car in Love-Bugs. Very rarely if the floormats are grungy will I break out the shop vac and give it a once over. Looking clean, I can maintain, got a towel to dust the dash and such but that's as far as I go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Aerospace Protectant is what I do occasionally on the interior. UV protection and none of that fake nasty shine from the Armor All kind of stuff.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully you will get more feedback from the forum. Maybe people are not available because they are out cleaning their cars :laugh:
Well it was very sunny and hot today - that's what prompted me to start this thread. The thought of my car sitting in the sun just cooking bugged me to no end. I've washed and detailed it today, but it has a semi-shiny look I can't wait to get rid of. For not, better protected than not.

Maybe once rarely twice a year I get my Accent detailed, usually by a low cost mobile detailer. I get it washed from time to time when it's bad like this last week when I drove over to Kissimmee and covered the car in Love-Bugs. Very rarely if the floormats are grungy will I break out the shop vac and give it a once over. Looking clean, I can maintain, got a towel to dust the dash and such but that's as far as I go.
:surprise: Well at least you get it cleaned from time to time.

Aerospace Protectant is what I do occasionally on the interior. UV protection and none of that fake nasty shine from the Armor All kind of stuff.
This: ?
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/303-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass-Leather/dp/B00J8NKGSG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527470321&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Aerospace+Protectant&psc=1[/ame]

If there is no fake shine- THIS is the type of product I'm looking to try. :grin2:

I ordered a horse hair brush and will be trying a little bit of the above videos I linked to, just to see what happens. I may try the brush with a commercial cleaner followed by a conditioner. Shouldn't be too dirty so I shouldn't need to scrub much if at all.

Still looking for a good non-shiny cleaner for the rest of the plastics. 0:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
i keep my sonata clean and use leather conditioners and dash protectant with UV protection. I don't try to keep it looking 'new' because that would be impossible and make me feel obsessive. I keep it clean and I'm happy.

For my leather, it's impossible to keep it new because it wrinkles over time and will look used. I don't mind a little bit of shine on the dash as I can see where it got applied. The Mequiar's dash protectent I use doesn't have enough shine. You have to look under the sun spots missed.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
:surprise: Well at least you get it cleaned from time to time.
Bought it in 2012 with almost 27k and right now it's sitting with just under 45k. It doesn't get a lot of use so it doesn't get a lot of chances to get dirty plus I don't make a mess of it. It gets more dusty sitting in the garage than anything.

I used to obsessively spend hours every week or two detailing my Probe, local car wash had shade awnings over the vac/detailing stations. Becoming disabled has curtailed that job. I used Meguires almost exclusively when I did detailing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your interior doesn't actually need much uv protection. Modern vehicles have uv filtering glass, and except for when you have your doors or windows open, the interior won't get much uv exposure. However, it never hurts to be safe. I would recommend you use something like meguiars interior detailer. It cleans, leaves some uv protection, but doesn't alter the appearance in any way. It's also easy to find and very affordable. For leather, Mothers VLR is awesome and leaves a matte finish. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Your interior doesn't actually need much uv protection. Modern vehicles have uv filtering glass, and except for when you have your doors or windows open, the interior won't get much uv exposure.
Anyone who wears standard photoreactive eyeglasses can attest to that. Even the Transitions XtraActive brand only partially darken inside the car. Even with the windows open it's hard to get UV light very far into the cabin

:nerd:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your interior doesn't actually need much uv protection. Modern vehicles have uv filtering glass, and except for when you have your doors or windows open, the interior won't get much uv exposure. However, it never hurts to be safe. I would recommend you use something like meguiars interior detailer. It cleans, leaves some uv protection, but doesn't alter the appearance in any way. It's also easy to find and very affordable. For leather, Mothers VLR is awesome and leaves a matte finish. Hope this helps.
Anyone who wears standard photoreactive eyeglasses can attest to that. Even the Transitions XtraActive brand only partially darken inside the car. Even with the windows open it's hard to get UV light very far into the cabin

:nerd:
Interesting. I had always thought that a cars windows did absolutely nothing to block UV. This is also not mentioned a lot in many web pages,

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/all-about-window-tinting-and-why-you-should-care
6 Reasons To Tint Your Car - TintCenter Window Tinting
https://cartronics.audio/5-reasons-why-window-tinting-benefits-you-and-your-vehicle/

After a brief search I also see that the the windshield typically is the only one that is laminated with UV blocking. I could not find anything on the back or side glass. If true, UV is still a big issue IMO.

It's not a real issue if you plan on keeping a car only for a few years, but if you keep them more than just during the time you are making payments then at that point the UV and interior plastics are going to need some attention.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Any decent window tint will block UV as well. My backs came with a fairly dark tint and the fronts are mild but my glasses won't change behind the side glass.

·
Registered
980 Posts
After a brief search I also see that the the windshield typically is the only one that is laminated with UV blocking. I could not find anything on the back or side glass. If true, UV is still a big issue IMO...
Hyundais and Kias have almost as much UV protection in their side windows as in the windshield, according to this report from the Tampa Bay Times: Do car windows protect you from the sun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the bottom left corner of your newish Hyundai’s driver side window. I can’t remember exactly what it says but it does block UV (maybe not all)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good advise thanks. I guess there is not a lot of enthusiasm for a clean car in the Hyundai forums. I was hoping to engauge the community here to see what you guys and gals do. :frown:
There's a few of us that are quite anal about keeping our cars looking nice. My 1971 interior is over 47 years old, all original. Of course being garaged helps. I won't be around long enough to see my 2018 SFS interior in 47 years, but I'm sure I can keep it looking nice for at least 5 years.:laugh:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts