Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Santa Fe stick shift. Brought it in because all the windows ceased to move up or down and all the doors would not lock automatically. They said the window switch was damaged, so I paid for part and labor just for the window switch and it did not work. They then traced wiring and found the main dash switch chewed by rodents, Now they want to charge me an enormous amount for that, Shouldn't they have checked the wiring first? And what about the doors?

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
Shouldn't they have checked the wiring first?
If they had diagnosed the fault properly they would have known there was a wiring fault and wouldn't have replaced a perfectly good switch. But rather than diagnose the fault they just took a shot in the dark guess that the switch was faulty.

You took the car to them to fix the power windows and they didn't do it so you shouldn't have paid. What you should do now is tell them you want the cost of the original "repair" deducted from the bill for the wiring repair. And if they don't agree to that tell them you at least want the cost of the replacement switch deducted since there was nothing wrong with your original switch.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
If they made the diagnosis and replaced the part
then they should have checked to makes sure it was right.
If they did not do that and want to charge you more
then they must tell you before hand
If you did not authorize it then you have a case

You may still argue that they did not fix it in the first place
and you should not have to pay for their mistake.
But, in the end, you get stuck for the bill.
Probably would not go there again
and put a true review of the work they did for you on line ...
Where ever you can.

In the business, they are called parts changers
And have no skill in diagnosing or troubleshooting any issues.
And they tend to charge you for everything they do whether it is right or not.
They are fine if you know what needs to be done, parts changed
But, never go there for figuring out any problems

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
2002 Santa Fe stick shift. Brought it in because all the windows ceased to move up or down and all the doors would not lock automatically. They said the window switch was damaged, so I paid for part and labor just for the window switch and it did not work. They then traced wiring and found the main dash switch chewed by rodents, Now they want to charge me an enormous amount for that, Shouldn't they have checked the wiring first? And what about the doors?
They did not properly test the circuitry. It's not impossible that the rodent chewed the wiring and the switch went bad at the same time.....but, it's highly unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, I want to thank all of you for your extremely helpful replies. I wanted to add that all the windows did not go out simultaneously, if that means anything. First, one trip with one rear window out, then another trip with the other rear window out, and, when I got in the car to go to the mechanic, the two front windows went out. Also, when I got gas, the gas indicator did not say full until I drove it a mile. The wiring guy (different from the switch installer) had me look at the damaged wiring in the main dash. I saw one cable with a lot of copper wire exposed.
Why did they not find that first? I am way out in the desert, and we do have pack rats that sometimes chew wiring, but I wonder now about the switch and chewed wiring being bad at the same time This is the only place in town that does wiring and has a pretty good reputation, so I was surprised by all this. But I heard they also try to get as much money as possible. They also know I need this car badly. I am 82 years old, and being stranded for 11 days has been difficult. They said it will take four days to do the wiring, and I am afraid they will still not have it fixed by then but will find something new.

Again, thanks so very, very much. It is helping me figure out what to do about all this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts