Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.4L engine. I notice that the car stumbles on acceleration. Took into the dealer and could not find anything wrong with it. There is no check engine light. The car feels like it lags power, the rpms would come back down and rise up when you let go of the gas. Under load the rpms will drop. Does anyone know if this could be the bad mass air flow sensor?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Very difficult to say unless a code has been set. Most conditions that would cause a very noticeable loss of power will both set a code AND light up the MIL. While you say you have no MIL, a code scan is still warranted, and although you say the dealer "could not find anything wrong with it", it's not clear whether a code scan was performed. I'm not clear what happened there with the dealer. Did the vehicle not under-perform when they drove it? Is this something that is intermittent? If not, you'll want to have the dealer service rep ride with you as you reproduce the problem so that they're absolutely clear about the symptoms you are reporting. If this is something that comes and goes and was therefore possible to miss during a service rep's own test drive, it may take more than one visit to establish a set of symptoms, much less a cause.

Again, it's important to know if a scan was performed, and if so, whether anything at all out of the ordinary was noted. If no scan was performed, and you don't want to deal with the dealer on this, you might drop by an Autozone or similar shop where they will perform these scans for free (at least they do around my part of the world).

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I suppose I also should have asked ---

Is this car just new to you now? Or have you owned it for a while, and just started noticing a difference in performance?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is intermittent. I even had a second hand opinion on the car and the mechanic could not find anything wrong with it. What could it be?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes, all that is covered under warranty -- can't believe you'd be past 60K miles already, or 100K if you're the original owner. That said, if you had a significant intake manifold leak, you should be seeing codes for a lean mix on one or both banks, and it's fussy about that since it can't control the mixture properly that way.

Again, you need either a) to be able to reproduce this with the tech IN the vehicle, or b) get this thing to pop a code someone can use as a starting point for diagnosis. Are there any circumstances that tend to make the problem worse?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Why this insistence on shotgunning for answers? Your problem is too non-specific. Could it be your turboencabulator? See here >>>

3rd time: Again, you need either a) to be able to reproduce this with the tech IN the vehicle, or b) get this thing to pop a code someone can use as a starting point for diagnosis. Are there any circumstances that tend to make the problem worse?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Canderson, isnt this the same guy that kept asking questions rather than do the obvious?
Where did you find the turboencabulator, truly was enlightning?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone told me that the idle control valve is causing the problem. Where is the idle control valve located?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if only the advice was any good. then it might help somewhat.

greetings bktply, i'm the resident 'tell-it-like-it-is-dick' around here. you seem to be in need of a mushroom stamp.

diagnosis works like this:
consider all possible causes of symptoms and eliminate what is obviously not true. the more information, the more potential problems can be eliminated. get it down to a few that fit your information and eliminate the remaining with testing. whatever is left, is your fault. then and only then should the repair be made.

contrary to what you may think, nobody can pull an answer out of their ass for you. no one here, none of your friends, none of your co-workers, etc.

how about putting the dart board away? listen to what canderson has been trying to say to you several times now. he has good advice.

or you can waste your time, money and maybe damage your car in the process. doesn't really matter to me.

maybe its that **** turboencabulator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts