Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so here it is. My brother gave me his car, actually sold it to me very cheaply...and it's an '05 Tiburon black with 2.0 Liter v4. It's nothing special, but am trying to take good care of it as best I can. As he broke **** near everything in and outside of the car, and suspicion's he drove it hard. So, took it to Shop and they ran tabs, O2 sensor failed, MAF failed, spark plugs are shot completely, and the downstream 02 sensor failed.
Now, I've fitted it with some E3 spark plugs that work great, put in a new 02 sensor upstream and also got a new MAF sensor and Spectre open air filter. Now, there are some problems and I don't understand some things. First, what is that little tube that's on the air intake and that goes directly to the engine? I notice that when I unplug this thing...I don't have similar problems that I have when the MAF is fully plugged and functioning. But, it drives well, like there's no MAF.
When I'm driving this thing, the air sensor works fine and great - like it's supposed to, but there are some problems I noticed. It doesn't seem like it's respirating properly. It's real smooth, but the whole thing feels "choked" and like it's not efficient or not getting the right air, or that the computer is regulating it TOO MUCH, if that makes sense. I don't know, that's just what it seems like to me. The whole thing seems muffled and "choked" too much.
Can anyone tell me what's going on, here with this? I can't accelerate fast at all with the MAF and it seems like it's really regulating the performance too much, and like I said not letting the car "breathe" like it needs. That's the main issue.

Also, I hear weird gargling sounds coming from the car when I shift or when I'm going slow, from the bottom. what is that/ should I be concerned?

Thanks,
And is there anything else I can do to improve this cars performance?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
The tube should be connected to the valve cover. It is a fresh air vent for the PCV system.

What MAF did you put on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, it's not a cold air intake system. It's under the hood just one of those spectre filters that looks like an end of a weed wacker. The tube looks like a nipple, and it's right before you are at the air intake valve itself. From what I see it goes right to the engine, somehow.
The MAF is similar to the stock one I replaced it with. I had a performance MAF, but it was for a 2.7L and the adaptors are not right for my car.
Even my cousin a mechanic can't tell me what's the purpose of this thing, that node on the side of the air tubing. What's the issues with the MAF, how can I fix those..and what's going on with my car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hose going from MAF to engine or Idle Air Control to Throttle Body? MAF to engine-if runs better unplugged could have bad or clogged PCV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely not going to the throttle body, it connects down toward the engine somewhere; it's a small tube that almost looks like fuel line but just rubber. It goes down into the engine somewhere near the back. If the PC valve was broken or bad wouldn't that have showed up when Midas ran a full diagnostic? They also mentioned something about a syllenoid something or other, that'd be the only thing I didn't fix that was on diagnostics.
Still trying to sort this MAF issue...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Picture of offending situation might be of value...

Finish edit your profile so we know which market you in,, along with the ride and engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture of offending situation might be of value...

Finish edit your profile so we know which market you in,, along with the ride and engine
Can you explain what you are talking about, which market I'm in??? What does that even mean. My ride is an '05 2.0 Tiburon v4, that's a four stroke engine. I don't understand what else you want?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
which market I'm in??? What does that even mean.
He's asking what country you live in.

Cars are built slightly differently for different markets/regions. Knowing what market your car was designed for helps us answer your questions accurately.

If you can post a photo of the hose your asking about, that would obviously be a big help too. I think you need to be a member of the forum for 7 days before you can attach photos though.

Regards.
Scott.

·
Registered
163 Posts
C...My ride is an '05 2.0 Tiburon v4, that's a four stroke engine. ...
You keep saying that. It's not a V4 (if there even is such a thing). Your cylinders are in a line, not a V with two on one side and two on the other. You have an I4. The most common engine configurations are I4, I6, V6, and V8. (Yes, there are lots of others too.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts