Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai, Kia to pay up to $395 million in proposed settlement over mileage claims | Toronto Star

By: The Associated Press, Published on Mon Dec 23 2013
EXPLORE THIS STORY
1 PHOTO
0 COMMENTS
Save to Mystar
Share on Facebook

inShare
Reddit this!
Hyundai and its sister company Kia said Monday that they will pay up to $395 million (U. S.) to consumers as part of a proposed settlement over overstated gas mileage.
The Environmental Protection Agency found inflated numbers on 13 Hyundai and Kia vehicles in November.
Hyundai and Kia acknowledged the problem, changed the fuel economy numbers and blamed a procedural error. Since then, Hyundai and Kia have been compensating owners with payments of around $88 (U.S.) annually, which is based on the amount the mileage was overstated and the average price of gasoline.
Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors are also offering an option of a lump-sum payment. The companies put a figure to it Monday, saying Hyundai would pay up to $210 million and Kia up to $185 million. The total value depends on how many consumers opt for the one-time payment instead of the annual reimbursement.
The companies say the lump-sum payment amount varies but would average $353 per Hyundai owner and lessees and $667 for Kia.
Consumers also have a choice of a dealership credit.
The vehicles involved include the Hyundai Azera, Accent, Genesis, Santa Fe, Sonata Hybrid, Tucson and Veloster and the Kia Optima Hybrid, Rio, Sorento, Soul and Sportage.
The settlement still needs court approval, which the companies anticipate seeking in early 2014.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone have details on what 2013 models are covered? I thought this was just for 2011 and 2012, but the article implies otherwise?

Neil

·
Registered
296 Posts
Anyone have details on what 2013 models are covered? I thought this was just for 2011 and 2012, but the article implies otherwise?

Neil
Basically all of the 2013 models are eligible, as long as you bought it before November 3, 2012.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If it's an option, I'll keep doing the annual payout. I'm slated to get close to $200 again this year thanks to my job, in which company paid for mileage ;-). So that's extra money in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it's an option, I'll keep doing the annual payout. I'm slated to get close to $200 again this year thanks to my job, in which company paid for mileage ;-). So that's extra money in my pocket.
Me too. An extra $80.00 a year, (that was my last reimbursement) over 10 or 12 years That will add up.

·
Registered
940 Posts
great news!! wonder why kia owners are getting so much more???
It looks like Hyundai's view of "lump sum" is from the perspective of how much *total* they will pay out: $210m. That will be distributed over the number of claimants. I assume there are more Hyundai owners than Kia, so the payment per owner is lower.

That's not really equitable. Why should Kia owners get more just because there are fewer claimants? In the end it's the same injury per owner. The annual mileage rebate isn't reduced because there's more Hyundai owners. (That would be a perversion of justice. I.e., it's more "ok" to commit fraud if there are more customers to be potentially defrauded. More potential upside for the company, luring in more customers with falsehoods. If they're caught, the per-customer settlement goes down due to the success of how well they lured customers with falsehoods?).

I hope the court rejects it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
great news!! wonder why kia owners are getting so much more???
It looks like Hyundai's view of "lump sum" is from the perspective of how much *total* they will pay out: $210m. That will be distributed over the number of claimants. I assume there are more Hyundai owners than Kia, so the payment per owner is lower.

That's not really equitable. Why should Kia owners get more just because there are fewer claimants? In the end it's the same injury per owner. The annual mileage rebate isn't reduced because there's more Hyundai owners. (That would be a perversion of justice. I.e., it's more "ok" to commit fraud if there are more customers to be potentially defrauded. More potential upside for the company, luring in more customers with falsehoods. If they're caught, the per-customer settlement goes down due to the success of how well they lured customers with falsehoods?).

Its more likely due to the KIA Soul taking a 6mpg hit,

And like the others, I am happy with the yearly Christmas bonus

·
Registered
385 Posts

If the courts orders Hyundai to pay the damage amount as Kia owners I would take the lump sum. I figure it would take me 6 to 7 years to collect that 6 hundred something dollars and by that time who knows If I am alive or not. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts