Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

So this is probably the most strange thing that ever happend to the car...

Basically what happened is really hard to actually believe. What happened is that my father one time went home from a early work and walked home - left the key as usual and we have a 2016 version ultimate which we close by closing on the doorknob on the car button so we barley use the key but what happened is that when he walked home it was all fine - but then 2 hours later someone called our house bell and said that our luggage was open??? and that she closed it for us but I can't believe it - my father said it aswell that he one hundred procent didn't opened it since you need to hold it for few seconds aswell. (This happened around 1 month ago)

Today 2018-04-30 - Same thing happend but this time I used the car - I parked it as usual, used the car doorknob button - went home and left the key at my key storage - 110% I didn't use the luggage button and after 4 hours my dad went for work and guess what? The Luggage was open?!

Now this is very scary and we are abit afraid and we check now every 30 minutes incase...

Now the question is, what should we do and what could be the reason?

This is really strange situation and yeah.... All kind of help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
842 Posts
There is a feature where it opens automatically if the doors are locked and it senses the key right next to it for about 5 seconds. Not sure if you may have stood close to it after the doors were locked or if that system malfunctioned.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had this before - and there are some other threads on it I think.

I found that just the slightest bump on the key fob, or just putting them in my pocket can open the tailgate. The buttons are far too sensitive in my opinion and would be better set up to require a long push for the tailgate to open.

Now I'm extra careful with the keys, put them down gently etc and it hasn't happened since.

There isn't much of an alternative. You can disable the power lift, but good luck getting it open and shut comfortably.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Try putting a silicone case on the key FOB which protects the pads from being pushed accidentally (in most situations).

I have found out that if the FOB is in your front pants pocket and you bend down in certain positions, the rear hatch will activate. Yes, the pad is overly sensitive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a feature where it opens automatically if the doors are locked and it senses the key right next to it for about 5 seconds. Not sure if you may have stood close to it after the doors were locked or if that system malfunctioned.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I know that function but im pretty sure it isnt that because its usually gives sounds 4 times before it opens and I never cross my car on the luggage side either.

I have had this before - and there are some other threads on it I think.

I found that just the slightest bump on the key fob, or just putting them in my pocket can open the tailgate. The buttons are far too sensitive in my opinion and would be better set up to require a long push for the tailgate to open.

Now I'm extra careful with the keys, put them down gently etc and it hasn't happened since.

There isn't much of an alternative. You can disable the power lift, but good luck getting it open and shut comfortably.

Yeah It feels like that too, It also has a really long range aswell I noticed it, I live in a appartment and the car is slightly around 100-200 meters away and it opens even if I stand on the other side of apartment which is really crazy range through all the walls. Im sure it either bugs on the car luggage OR the knob.

Try putting a silicone case on the key FOB which protects the pads from being pushed accidentally (in most situations).

I have found out that if the FOB is in your front pants pocket and you bend down in certain positions, the rear hatch will activate. Yes, the pad is overly sensitive.
Oh it could be that, however my dad always using his key on the jacket, in a pocket he barely get his hands on. but a silicone case could be a fix to be honest

----------------------------------------------------------

Update:

So my great father went today to the service/dealer to talk with them, they said it has never happend with the Tucson but it happened on a hyundai i40 for few people and what they did was to change the whole lock system on the car - Which they offered us that aswell in 2 weeks. I think and hope it will be cost free since its a manufacture issue - but if that is the solution, Let's see... but what do you guys think of that?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh yeah, I know that function but im pretty sure it isnt that because its usually gives sounds 4 times before it opens and I never cross my car on the luggage side either.

Yeah It feels like that too, It also has a really long range aswell I noticed it, I live in a appartment and the car is slightly around 100-200 meters away and it opens even if I stand on the other side of apartment which is really crazy range through all the walls. Im sure it either bugs on the car luggage OR the knob.

Oh it could be that, however my dad always using his key on the jacket, in a pocket he barely get his hands on. but a silicone case could be a fix to be honest

----------------------------------------------------------

Update:

So my great father went today to the service/dealer to talk with them, they said it has never happend with the Tucson but it happened on a hyundai i40 for few people and what they did was to change the whole lock system on the car - Which they offered us that aswell in 2 weeks. I think and hope it will be cost free since its a manufacture issue - but if that is the solution, Let's see... but what do you guys think of that?
If they are doing it for free, it's a no brainer......Maybe they are aware of the issue and are only doing the update if customers complain...Wouldn't be the first time!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New update

---------------------------

So today I went to the service and there was no issue with changing the lock. They said that's what they could do and there was actually no flaw in the system. So probably either my father or I did by accident open it somehow.. However they did change the lock just incase.

but then there came a new issue - What they said was that they changed all the LED lamp on the back due to a error they have. Meaning all tucsons that are coming in, they will change new LED on the back. I didn't see any difference though but yeah...

Also I asked about Carplay and Android Auto - They said that you need to buy the new 2018 model to achieve that unfortunately :/

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also I asked about Carplay and Android Auto - They said that you need to buy the new 2018 model to achieve that unfortunately :/
Where are you located? We couldn't get an update in Canada either until several months ago. Now it's a free download and software update as long as you have the navi model. The update went back to 2016 years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you located? We couldn't get an update in Canada either until several months ago. Now it's a free download and software update as long as you have the navi model. The update went back to 2016 years.
Im from Sweden and they said it will never be available for us :/ We just need to buy the newer version of the Tucsons..

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's right, us Europeans got a worse deal than Canada - the hardware on the 2015-2017 model years will never support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. They changed the units on 2018 models and one can see they are different in both resolution, number of physical buttons and user interface.
One thing "old" models lack is the voice button on the steering wheel and Android Auto / Apple CarPlay will never be supported without such a button (it's one of their requirements, in order for the driver not to take their hands off the steering wheel for initiating a voice command).
We also don't get HD Radio, XM radio, Infinity sound system (no central speaker and subwoofer in the trunk) or BlueLink. I think some countries like Germany and UK get DAB radio...

·
Registered
447 Posts
May be the following feature was enabled;

HANDS-FREE SMART LIFTGATE
Stand within 3 feet from the rear liftgate of your
Tucson for 3 seconds, with the key fob in your
pocket or purse, and it opens automatically.
No need to wave your foot under the bumper.
The liftgate also features a convenient heightadjustable
setting

·
Registered
447 Posts
Following member had similar issue, jdaniels1982
2016 Tucson QUICK UPDATE - Brought the Tuscon to the dealership and they were able to correct the problem with the power lift gage not always successfully closing.....apparently there are rubber strips on each side of the doorframe that catch the door as it closes......the dealership said that on one side it appeared 2 strips were accidentally attached on top of each other, preventing the door from always consistently closing......its been 2 weeks since the fix and I have had no issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts