Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know/have a reference for what torque Hyundai says is appropriate for our lug nuts with standard stock aluminum wheels??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Most of the "set to click" torque wrenches aren't super accurate, but if you set them for 75-80ftlbs you will be fine.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I'm also a member of the 80 ft-lbs club.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Most of the "set to click" torque wrenches aren't super accurate, but if you set them for 75-80ftlbs you will be fine.

Most are not accurate because their owners do not zero them out after each use. But yeah even with a slightly inaccurate wrench 75-80 will do the job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For my 2010 and 2018 Elantras, I set my wrench to 80 Ft-lbs.

My brother, who is a knowledgeable car enthusiast, uses 85 Ft-lbs on his 2010 Elantra.

The "Tires and Wheels" section of the 2017 Hyundai Elantra Owners Manual (page 8-5) states that the Wheel lug nut torque in lbf-ft should be 79~94.

·
Registered
37 Posts
But Can You Break Them Loose?

I'm also a member of the 80 ft-lbs club.
That's all fine & well but I've found out the hard way on a dark, cold and rainy night that you can't break them loose with the little rinky-dink lug wrench which is provided in the standard Hyundai tool kit and then you're stuck fighting-off the car-jackers and muggers while you're waiting for AAA Roadside Service to show-up, sometimes hours later...

·
Registered
501 Posts
That's all fine & well but I've found out the hard way on a dark, cold and rainy night that you can't break them loose with the little rinky-dink lug wrench which is provided in the standard Hyundai tool kit and then you're stuck fighting-off the car-jackers and muggers while you're waiting for AAA Roadside Service to show-up, sometimes hours later...
Standing or jumping on the lug wrench always breaks it loose for me. 80 ft. lbs is normal and the recommended torque which is actually not that tight at all. If the idiot who last installed your tires used an impact wrench and went to town with it, then, maybe its too tight. Or, you never touched the lugs ever, and you live in the rust zone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use an old triceps bar (weightlifting) as a breaker bar that I carry in the trunk. It's hollow, and fits over the lug nut wrench. Has never failed me over the years :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts