Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished exhaust, now I would like to lower the car 1 inch or more, to get rid of the wheel gap...what am i looking at spending for parts (everything ide need) and what to expect for labor reasonable estimate. Trying to get a sense to see if its worth doing or not. CHeers

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
although some may flame me for suggesting this i myself am considering cutting a coil or half in the rear of my H&Rs as i would like to drop the rear a bit more than what it currently is.

if u dont feel comfy cutting ur springs get ur self a set of eibach or h&r lower springs both lower almost 1.5" (and are firm german springs) and depending on ur milage swap the shocks/struts while ur already there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
although some may flame me for suggesting this i myself am considering cutting a coil or half in the rear of my H&Rs as i would like to drop the rear a bit more than what it currently is.

if u dont feel comfy cutting ur springs get ur self a set of eibach or h&r lower springs both lower almost 1.5" (and are firm german springs) and depending on ur milage swap the shocks/struts while ur already there.
Alfu its funny you say that I posted a topic about that awhile ago be cause I still want about half an inch off my eibachs. But sacrificing ride is definitely not worth it to me.

I have the H&R's but have driven out car with the Eibach's and I say do the Eibach's. Much better then the H&R's
I love my Eibach's I am extremely satisfied with them but I HATE the monroe struts that I put in. Gonna have to wait till the Koni's go back on sale.

·
Registered
205 Posts
so could some1 link me the exact eibachs i would need to lower it ? compatible with a 3.3 2007 sonata limited, ty

2006 to 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 3.3 MFI Eibach Lowering Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

If you are mechanically inclined you can pick up a spring compressor (most auto stores will have one to rent) and possibly an impact for the lower stabilizer bar link.

Amazon.com: SG Tool Aid 62900 The Strutter MacPherson Strut Coil Spring Tool: Automotive

There is a nice writeup in the forums that will walk you through how to replace the front ones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and would i be fine with lowering springs like those on stock struts and springs? i read they might cause problems, but that info was a ltl outdated. im asking cuz i only have 71k miles on my nata

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just been reading back on old posts and threads from 2008 and it seems theres a difference of view points on weather springs can be used with stock struts and shocks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Lowering Springs with Stock Struts

just been reading back on old posts and threads from 2008 and it seems theres a difference of view points on weather springs can be used with stock struts and shocks
BigIrish, The stock struts & shocks will work with the lowering springs with no problems fit wise. The problem stems from the lack of strength or rebound capability of the stock items with the stiffer springs. If the struts are worn they will just wear quicker. You will get the pogo effect seen on many "Honda" low rider vehicles.

The Eibach Springs are available from AutoAnything. I was given a discount when buying my Gabriel & Eibach Springs at the same time. With the Rebate from Eibach my spring were less than $200.00 Shipped! :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Alfu its funny you say that I posted a topic about that awhile ago be cause I still want about half an inch off my eibachs. But sacrificing ride is definitely not worth it to me.

I love my Eibach's I am extremely satisfied with them but I HATE the monroe struts that I put in. Gonna have to wait till the Koni's go back on sale.
i have a pair of the monroes brand new in the box waiting for the stock ones to give out. why dont u like them?

and many ppl cut springs on higher end cars and dont report anything negative back. il consider cutting mine in 2 weeks when my school term is over. right now im in the process of replacing all 20 wheel studs (a frkn headache with this car)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any of you guys with eibachs have a difference in ride height on the front?

My driver side is 0.5 inches lower then passenger. And that's despite new upper and lower control arms (and koni struts). I'm hoping I don't need new springs, but I'm not sure what else would be effecting my ride hegiht by that much.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Cutting your springs...

i have a pair of the monroes brand new in the box waiting for the stock ones to give out. why dont u like them?

and many ppl cut springs on higher end cars and dont report anything negative back. il consider cutting mine in 2 weeks when my school term is over. right now im in the process of replacing all 20 wheel studs (a frkn headache with this car)
Alfu, Somehow cutting the springs just freaks me out. I know people who have done it like you say without any problems. I just looked at my Eibachs in the box. It seems doable. There is no flat spot or special shape to the end you would cut. So, would you go a full coil with the cut?

I don't know that there is any problem with the Monroe shocks. I have a full set of Gabriel Ultra GForce waiting for me to get ambitious. The only thing I would be concerned about with cutting your springs is the increase of the already shortened strut/shock travel. You are at bottoming out risk.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cutting springs? Really? That's what riceRs do! lol...

Seriously though, don't cut your springs! Sure, you may not have problems if you don't cut too much off but your ride quality would be total crap... as bouncy as some slammed Civics! Most aftermarket springs are progressive. Meaning they progressively increase their spring rate when compressed. You're going to mess it up if you cut off a coil. The only spring you would want to attempt to cut is a linear spring, meaning the spring rate does not change if its compressed. Even then, I probably would not do it. If you want a lower stance, get coilovers. If you want to be slammed, get air bags.

askeramota, you can get coil spring buffers to compensate for sagging suspensions.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Progressive...

Cutting springs? Really? That's what riceRs do! lol...

Seriously though, don't cut your springs! Sure, you may not have problems if you don't cut too much off but your ride quality would be total crap... as bouncy as some slammed Civics! Most aftermarket springs are progressive. Meaning they progressively increase their spring rate when compressed. You're going to mess it up if you cut off a coil. The only spring you would want to attempt to cut is a linear spring, meaning the spring rate does not change if its compressed. Even then, I probably would not do it. If you want a lower stance, get coilovers. If you want to be slammed, get air bags.

askeramota, you can get coil spring buffers to compensate for sagging suspensions.
riceR, Thanks, that is the term I couldn't think of when replying to alfu. The newer shock are progressive. Especially lowering springs. I looked again at my Eibachs in the box and you can see the spacing for the rates. Older vehicles that I have seen the springs cut are single stage. Old Lincolns and the like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts