Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got a certified 2013 Tucson GLS with factory stereo. I successfully paired my phone (Motorola Droid Turbo) with the unit and phone calls are perfect as can be but whenever I play Pandora, IHeartRadio, Google Music, or MP3 files stored on the phone using any player app (preferred app is Poweramp) the audio is quite low compared to other sources (USB, CD, XM). Again, phone calls are fine, too.

I have unpaired and re-paired the phone. Started Android in Safe mode. All volumes (Media, Bluetooth) are as high as they will go. Uninstalled any app that may be controlling volume (Tasker, SVC, Volume+, etc.) to no avail. Additionally, apps in the Play store that purport to increase volume beyond normal levels have had no effect.

Is this a known problem? Is there any way for a Hyundai service technician to reset the system, or change some hidden setting that may resolve this?

Lastly, does anyone know which Bluetooth profiles this unit supports? A2DP and AVRCP, but which versions?

Many thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hello,

I just got a certified 2013 Tucson GLS with factory stereo. I successfully paired my phone (Motorola Droid Turbo) with the unit and phone calls are perfect as can be but whenever I play Pandora, IHeartRadio, Google Music, or MP3 files stored on the phone using any player app (preferred app is Poweramp) the audio is quite low compared to other sources (USB, CD, XM). Again, phone calls are fine, too.

I have unpaired and re-paired the phone. Started Android in Safe mode. All volumes (Media, Bluetooth) are as high as they will go. Uninstalled any app that may be controlling volume (Tasker, SVC, Volume+, etc.) to no avail. Additionally, apps in the Play store that purport to increase volume beyond normal levels have had no effect.

Is this a known problem? Is there any way for a Hyundai service technician to reset the system, or change some hidden setting that may resolve this?

Lastly, does anyone know which Bluetooth profiles this unit supports? A2DP and AVRCP, but which versions?

Many thanks,

Matt
I just had that happen last week the first time I tried to play an MP3 from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via the blue tooth radio connection. It had me going for a bit, but I was finally able to get the radio volume turned up by simply pressing the volume increase button on the side of my phone while the music was playing.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
I have a Droid Pro and it is the first Motorola I have truly hated.

If you have any kind of a bass booster or Equalizer+ running, turn the bass frequency down. Google throttles the volume if the bass is boosted so kids won't blow out their eardrums and sue the company.

There are dozens of volume boosters on the App Store, and while they say they come from different companies, it's one company in Asia somewhere and they do nothing to the phone except constantly access the net and load your phone with ads. Don't try them.

If you have an AUX input you can try that with a 3.5mm audio cable, but that didn't work well at all. It was louder with the Bluetooth.

The Android OS seems to fall flat on it's face when playing music.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
I just had that happen last week the first time I tried to play an MP3 from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via the blue tooth radio connection. It had me going for a bit, but I was finally able to get the radio volume turned up by simply pressing the volume increase button on the side of my phone while the music was playing.
Newer Galaxy (maybe all Android) phones have a warning that pops up when you attempt to increase the volume past a preset "safe listening level."

Try cranking the volume while connected to BT and seeing if the message pops up. If it does, tap OK and you should be able to keep increasing it to max.

IIRC if the phone is rooted you can stop the message from displaying. Or you may have to put a custom rom that has it already removed.

Thank the lawyers for that!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Both Android and iPhone play music low via Bluetooth on my Elantra. Some phones are better than others though. Turning up phone Bluetooth volume to 100% helps a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I have disabled audio effects, enabled audio effects, used volume apps, removed volume apps, had the volume for media and Bluetooth all the way up, started in Safe mode to disable all but stock apps, cleared cache, deleted all pairing from phone and head unit and re-paired, used Aux hack with a cable, all to no effect. iPad with BT and Aux cable has the same outcome.

I have been a systems support engineer for 25+ years and believe I have covered all the variables but I cannot dive into the Android OS (I won't root my phone and then have to provide IT support for my own device, I do it all day long for others) or access any kind of service mode that might be available to Hyundai techs.

Right now I have a friend at the dealer looking to see what his guys can do from a service perspective and I have escalated within the Motorola forums so someone from Moto has their eyes on it, but I just can't believe that something that should be so simple isn't so simple. Audio levels for phone calls is ample, media not.

I am going to try an older phone tomorrow, and also see if I can try pairing some phones from friends at work, I will report back if I learn anything new, in the meantime hopefully someone with a solution will appear so I can stop pulling my hair out.

Thanks again,

Matt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had the same problem with the music on my Galaxy S4 and I just turned up the volume in the phone settings to fix the problem.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
What Motorola phone do you have? I had the original Moto X and it performed at about the same volume as iPhone, Galaxy S4 or HTC One. I think the Hyundai factory head units just have weak hardware.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Motorola phone do you have? I had the original Moto X and it performed at about the same volume as iPhone, Galaxy S4 or HTC One. I think the Hyundai factory head units just have weak hardware.
Droid Turbo.

I have also escalated through HyundaiUSA via their website, as well as through my dealer (a friend of the family) . His service guy is contacting the folks in California to see what they advise, to see if there is a firmware update or some other remedy they can provide.

He also mentioned that many times they will sit on releasing stuff like this publicly until some number of complaints has been reached, sometimes as few as 10, so everyone should be encouraged to make their problems known. Sitting on them and hoping they will go away may end up keeping solutions bottled up. If they think a particular problem only affects one or two people they typically won't do anything but when complaints reach some threshold they take action.

As soon as I hear back through official channels I will update (or if I find a solution on my own, of course)

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Droid Turbo.

I have also escalated through HyundaiUSA via their website, as well as through my dealer (a friend of the family) . His service guy is contacting the folks in California to see what they advise, to see if there is a firmware update or some other remedy they can provide.

He also mentioned that many times they will sit on releasing stuff like this publicly until some number of complaints has been reached, sometimes as few as 10, so everyone should be encouraged to make their problems known. Sitting on them and hoping they will go away may end up keeping solutions bottled up. If they think a particular problem only affects one or two people they typically won't do anything but when complaints reach some threshold they take action.

As soon as I hear back through official channels I will update (or if I find a solution on my own, of course)

Matt
I have the same issue yall have been having. It seems yo only be you tube for me. I have a sumsung galaxy 8.
Matt, you mentioned contacting Hyundai to inform them of this glitch... is there a lonk you can share where we can voice this issue? I can sleuth it myself, however I feel like you probably have the correct co tact info closer at hand than I so, and I really want to make sure I am notifying the correct department.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I have disabled audio effects, enabled audio effects, used volume apps, removed volume apps, had the volume for media and Bluetooth all the way up, started in Safe mode to disable all but stock apps, cleared cache, deleted all pairing from phone and head unit and re-paired, used Aux hack with a cable, all to no effect. iPad with BT and Aux cable has the same outcome.

I have been a systems support engineer for 25+ years and believe I have covered all the variables but I cannot dive into the Android OS (I won't root my phone and then have to provide IT support for my own device, I do it all day long for others) or access any kind of service mode that might be available to Hyundai techs.

Right now I have a friend at the dealer looking to see what his guys can do from a service perspective and I have escalated within the Motorola forums so someone from Moto has their eyes on it, but I just can't believe that something that should be so simple isn't so simple. Audio levels for phone calls is ample, media not.

I am going to try an older phone tomorrow, and also see if I can try pairing some phones from friends at work, I will report back if I learn anything new, in the meantime hopefully someone with a solution will appear so I can stop pulling my hair out.

Thanks again,

Matt
IT is not the phone. It is the Hyundai media player software. You have it in the media section of the manual that it is intended to limit your media audio output so as not to distract you with loud music while driving. Somehow, this does not apply to listen to the radio!
I use my phone, equipped with Poweramp on an ix35 2015 and an Elantra 2015 without any fuss. However, with the Santa Fe 2019, the volume goes to zero on Bluetooth connection. I am always on auto streaming, so streaming starts on volume zero. A nudge on my volume-up button and the media plays out on a decent volume, probably on the previous volume level. A few seconds later, the volume drops low, very low. Effectively not allowing you to get loud music even if you turn the knob to maximum volume!
I had been able to defeat this by waiting out the delay after I nudged the volume-up button, seems to work sometimes but I still can't figure out how to make this work consistently...
I guess that there must be a secret key combination to defeat this feature as it does not appear to be loved by anyone. I don't even see the need as I get get the very loud music that this seeks to deprive me of from the radio!
Someone somewhere must have found how to defeat this...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts