Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've owned a 2006 Tucson (2.0 ltr CRTD CDX) for the last 2 years. When I first got it engine light came on and it gave a EGR fault code, the garage repaired it and it ran fine for the next year. Then the engine light would come on occasionally and it would go into limp mode, next day it would be ok. I had it in for diagnostics a couple of times but they found nothing.

Last week it went into limp mode just as I pulled onto a roundabout...uhhhhh scarey moment, I had my code reader so I cleared the fault and drove home, it drove fine.

I took it to a local garage who did a smoke test but this showed nothing, they started talking big money to start replacing parts so I took the car back.

I stripped out the EGR valve and found it was sticking badly, cleaned it out with oven cleaner till it was like new inside and the valve worked perfectly, put it back on the car and it was running sweet. I did about 150 miles and thought it was fixed. Today it went into limp mode again, engine light flashing and I crawled home. Just read the code and now it says P0299 .... low turbo boost, so I think this is something new.

Theres never been any smoke from the engine or any noises, it only has 60,000 miles on the clock and I desperately need to keep it going.

Is there any common faults that give a P0299 code ? what should I check ? any advice ?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi everyone, I've owned a 2006 Tucson (2.0 ltr CRTD CDX) for the last 2 years. When I first got it engine light came on and it gave a EGR fault code, the garage repaired it and it ran fine for the next year. Then the engine light would come on occasionally and it would go into limp mode, next day it would be ok. I had it in for diagnostics a couple of times but they found nothing.

Last week it went into limp mode just as I pulled onto a roundabout...uhhhhh scarey moment, I had my code reader so I cleared the fault and drove home, it drove fine.

Should always take note of any codes before clearing. Do you remember what it was?

I took it to a local garage who did a smoke test but this showed nothing, they started talking big money to start replacing parts so I took the car back.

Why did they smoke it?

I stripped out the EGR valve and found it was sticking badly, cleaned it out with oven cleaner till it was like new inside and the valve worked perfectly, put it back on the car and it was running sweet. I did about 150 miles and thought it was fixed. Today it went into limp mode again, engine light flashing and I crawled home. Just read the code and now it says P0299 .... low turbo boost, so I think this is something new.

Theres never been any smoke from the engine or any noises, it only has 60,000 miles on the clock and I desperately need to keep it going.

Is there any common faults that give a P0299 code ? what should I check ? any advice ?
Check that everything from the turbo to the intake is hooked up and no leaks. Intercoolers have problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks grcauto, I'll check the intake pipework, they did a smoke test at the garage but I'm not sure what they tested so I'll look again. Is there any way to tell if the intercooler is faulty ? sorry but I'm finding stuff out as I go along.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some reading and a lot of head scratching I think that going any further might be beyond my mechanical capabilities ! time to get some help, I'll try to book it in tomorrow for diagnostics. Thanks guys for the help.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Thanks grcauto, I'll check the intake pipework, they did a smoke test at the garage but I'm not sure what they tested so I'll look again. Is there any way to tell if the intercooler is faulty ? sorry but I'm finding stuff out as I go along.
Do you have the invoice from the garage? They may have smoked the intercooler or other parts of the intake. Smoke doesn't do well with intercoolers. If you have the bill take a picture and post or if you understand it just tells us what they smoked.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
After some reading and a lot of head scratching I think that going any further might be beyond my mechanical capabilities ! time to get some help, I'll try to book it in tomorrow for diagnostics. Thanks guys for the help.
Wait before you do that. Read my other reply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, I didnt get anything from them, the car stood outside for 4 days without being looked at even though it had been booked in for a week so I complained, then they looked at it but again made no contact with me and they wouldnt respond to my calls. In the end, after 6 days with not a word from them I went in and took my keys back, all I know is the smoke test showed nothing.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Nope, I didnt get anything from them, the car stood outside for 4 days without being looked at even though it had been booked in for a week so I complained, then they looked at it but again made no contact with me and they wouldnt respond to my calls. In the end, after 6 days with not a word from them I went in and took my keys back, all I know is the smoke test showed nothing.
I hope you didn't pay them for anything...especially storage fees....some places should be burned to the ground. I'm not saying to do that....PLEASE don't.
BTW do you have an air compressor or can use one. There's something you can do that's easy enough and may very well find your problem.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,281 Posts
Is there any common faults that give a P0299 code ?
A 2006 model will likely have a variable geometry turbo (so no wastegate). A VG turbo has moving vanes inside that are used to control the boost pressure. Sometimes the control ring that moves the vanes gets clogged up with carbon deposits from the exhaust gas and that prevents the vanes from moving. That can cause over boost or low boost trouble codes depending on what position the vanes are in then the control ring gets jammed. If you aren't able to find a boost leak the problem might be that the turbo vanes are jammed and the turbo just isn't producing the boost to begin with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ grcauto..... I have a small compressor......ok you have me curious !

@ autospark.... I just realised that the low turbo boost code has come up once before along with flashing engine check light..... my Son was using the car at the time. I spoke to him last night and he says he went over the intake system and also cleaned the boost sensor, he then cleared the fault code and the car has run fine till now. This makes me think its nothing too serious ? now I'm wondering if the boost sensor is faulty or maybe it was a leak that has returned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No saying it's your problem,
But when I get that fault it's always been this vacuum pipe from the engine to turbo. Usually cracked. Just replace it and it's good to go for another while.
Worth a try

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts