Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sealed transmission in my 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE, and my transmission has been hard shifting, but it only happens before I’ve driven for 10-15 minutes and gotten the car fully warmed up. Then it shifts perfectl, like it’s brand new. Does this sound like low fluid level, since ATF fluid expands when it’s hot?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You didn't say how many miles you have on it, or if it's new to you, or if it's very cold out now and it shifts different? Do you have the 6-speed?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I didn't know I had to check all of his previous posts to get the low-down! :sneaky:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't say how many miles you have on it, or if it's new to you, or if it's very cold out now and it shifts different? Do you have the 6-speed?
6 speed automatic, 35600 miles. Bought it new from dealership. Well 4000 miles were already on it, but it wasn’t owned by anyone prior to myself. Probably transport miles.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter whether it’s winter or summer...if the car is cold (has been sitting overnight for example), it shifts hard until it warms up, then shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Was this a Hyundai dealer? If not, did they put the wrong fluid in it? Mine is from a non-Hyundai dealer...they put a Toyota oil filter on it and there's a parts store right next to them!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was this a Hyundai dealer? If not, did they put the wrong fluid in it? Mine is from a non-Hyundai dealer...they put a Toyota oil filter on it and there's a parts store right next to them!
No, it was bought at a Hyundai dealership

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a sealed transmission in my 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE, and my transmission has been hard shifting, but it only happens before I’ve driven for 10-15 minutes and gotten the car fully warmed up. Then it shifts perfectl, like it’s brand new. Does this sound like low fluid level, since ATF fluid expands when it’s hot?
Sounds like the transmission fluid temperature sensor. This was the first of many things that went bad on my car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think low price OBD II code readers can detect Transmission codes, but I could be wrong. Transmission fluid temp sensor malfunction should throw trans code.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think low price OBD II code readers can detect Transmission codes, but I could be wrong. Transmission fluid temp sensor malfunction should throw trans code.
It does read transmission codes, but none are showing up. The dealership also said they are not getting any codes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts