Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice the low quality of the rearview camera on the GT?

It looks washed out and grainy compared to the camera on my Tucson. Both day and night views are leaps and bounds better on the Tucson camera.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The image quality does seem fairly low. At dusk, everything's a blurry mess. I always chalked it up to low light. Have you tried using brighter reverse bulbs?

I wish I can comment more on mine, but they're always covered in road salt. I'm just glad it views things from time to time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Due to nature of my job and amount of travel involved with it, I've driven my fair share of various rental cars with rearview camera on it. As far as I can tell, the quality isn't that bad at all compared to some of other ones I've seen (mostly domestic cars, just horrible), but not the best either. Its clear enough that I can see everything just fine regardless of outside condition, and love the warning it displays when it detects people and incoming vehicles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried using brighter reverse bulbs?
Yes. I installed a set of 1000 lumen 921 LED bulbs. They are BRIGHT. Haven't helped. The low quality shows during the day, not just the night.

As far as I can tell, the quality isn't that bad at all compared to some of other ones I've seen (mostly domestic cars, just horrible), but not the best either. Its clear enough that I can see everything just fine regardless of outside condition, and love the warning it displays when it detects people and incoming vehicles.
I'm not saying it's terrible, just compared to my '16 Tucson, it really shows the lower quality. One would assume that Hyundai would use the same camera across the entire line of the same platform.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Due to nature of my job and amount of travel involved with it, I've driven my fair share of various rental cars with rearview camera on it. As far as I can tell, the quality isn't that bad at all compared to some of other ones I've seen (mostly domestic cars, just horrible), but not the best either. Its clear enough that I can see everything just fine regardless of outside condition, and love the warning it displays when it detects people and incoming vehicles.
The answer I always despise from auto reviewers is 'feature X in this car was not as good as in others' or 'other have implemented feature Y better than this one' or similar. And they NEVER tell you which car has those features better implemented.
In your case, please share which Other car had better rear-view camera.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Relax, it was just a simple observation and personal comparison of the rear-view camera against 35+ rental cars I've driven this year. Most domestic cars such as Fusion, Cruze, Malibu, Mustang, Edge, Camaro and more I've driven does not quite match up to the size/quality and none of them was 'better implemented' as far as I'm concerned. 2018 EGTS with Tech Package is my first car that came with all the sensors and warning system integrated into the rear-view camera and I couldn't tell you which other car had a better one in my experience outside of much more expensive vehicles such as Genesis.

To go back to the initial post about picture quality, I noticed really grainy picture over the weekend when it was snowing outside with car covered in various particles. In the age of High-Def anything, it definitely didn't look crystal clear during bad weather situations but normally perfectly fine in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish the camera lens was mounted in a way that it doesn't collect rain or salted road splashes the way it does on the GT. Have to wipe off the lens to see past the water/smearing often and I never had that issue on my toyota sienna or venza before.

I've put some rainx on the lens recently but of course, it's now sunny till the end of the week so I won't be able to tell till then if it makes any difference lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wish the camera lens was mounted in a way that it doesn't collect rain or salted road splashes the way it does on the GT. Have to wipe off the lens to see past the water/smearing often and I never had that issue on my toyota sienna or venza before.

I've put some rainx on the lens recently but of course, it's now sunny till the end of the week so I won't be able to tell till then if it makes any difference lol.
I agree. It's quite the salt magnet. Are the lenses both glass for both vehicles?

Just curious; do you have aftermarket mud guards on your Sienna? Our Sienna isn't as much of a salt magnet, but it does get caked pretty good.

I think the F stops or sensor size between the two cameras may be fairly different. I think our Sienna camera seems to be covered in as much salt/mist as my Elantra GT, but the GT is definitely more difficult to see out of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2017 Sienna in Canada came with hard plastic mudguards right behind the rear wheels. Seems like glass for both.

It's almost impossible to see out The GT camera of unless I wipe it often but maybe it's the height of the lens too as well as the angle/placement. Our texan/californian friends in the US will probably never notice this "issue" with the GT cameras.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hatchbacks, by design always trap road grime on the backside. I've seen this on every generation of Honda Civic from 1986-2000, Various VW Golf/GTI's and MINI Coopers.

The fact that the camera sits as low as it does on the EGT doesn't help either.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
All the GD generation owners are laughing right now :D Nicely tucked away when you dont need it and there when you do. That is unless there is a good amount of ice build up sealing it shut...

Reactions: PkMaster

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
All the GD generation owners are laughing right now
Nicely tucked away when you dont need it and there when you do. That is unless there is a good amount of ice build up sealing it shut...
Just what I was thinking. My 13 Elantra GT had the camera that swings shut when not in use. And it could be popped open manually when it needed cleaning.
But people complained of the noise when it opened ... so you can't please everyone all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Just what I was thinking. My 13 Elantra GT had the camera that swings shut when not in use. And it could be popped open manually when it needed cleaning.
But people complained of the noise when it opened ... so you can't please everyone all the time.
It is noisy but after seeing dirty cameras for myself I would gladly take it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Noisy??? That is the most ridiculous complain I ever heard. 'Swinging' has occurred only when you were backing up, correct? How about complaining that engine could be heard at the same time and annoying music blasting while wipers swishing fast and turn signal giving tic-tic-tic sound? People are idiots...

No, that was one part less to implement - motor or whatever was swinging that camera out and in. Plus less possibility to bring more dirt into after camera swung in and caused even more damage if it got stuck.
Get some rain-X or find some hydrophobic cover at aliexpress

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hatchbacks, by design always trap road grime on the backside. I've seen this on every generation of Honda Civic from 1986-2000, Various VW Golf/GTI's and MINI Coopers.

The fact that the camera sits as low as it does on the EGT doesn't help either.
I just bought a new 2018 Elantra GT and the image is horrible! I have cleaned the lens and it still foggy. My old 2015 Sonata Hybrid had an excellent image, and that is what I would expect and should have now.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
245 Posts
I just bought a new 2018 Elantra GT and the image is horrible! I have cleaned the lens and it still foggy. My old 2015 Sonata Hybrid had an excellent image, and that is what I would expect and should have now.

For what it's worth, it's an analog 480i camera/image, with a wide-angle lens. It looks clearer on Hyundai models with the standard 7" display.

The 8" display simply stretches it. It's unfortunate, but I find it sufficient for what's needed- to assist my eyeballs with backing up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could always take it back to the dealer and see if they'll replace it under warranty. They'll probably have you look at the image on other GTs on the lot though to compare....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts