Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned awhile back about this issue as a post in another thread, but the problem has not got any better.

I now have 1025 miles on my SE with the 2.4L. I will admit that I drove the car very easy during the first 800 miles. The car has always wanted to shift into higher gears way too quick even in normal mode. I was told that the computer may have been "trained" to be being a conservative driver. I am not a speed racer, but I do not drive like I have nowhere to go either. I have tried driving a little more aggressively (holding down the throttle and making it shift around 2500-3000 rpm when I can), but it still has not helped. When I make a certain turn and up a hill, the car chugs up the hill until it finally decides to downshift into a lower gear and it will finally go. If in sport mode, it does fine. I cannot leave in sport mode however because I do a lot of freeway driving and it will not shift into overdrive in sport mode, at least my car don't which I find odd??

Another problem area is when I first start out, I go up a grade on a highway. I have to literally press the pedal down about 3/4 way to even get it to speed (55 mph) within a reasonable amount of time... it was only around 2300-2500 rpm and I was almost flooring it. I pressed down the pedal more and it finally kicked into a lower gear and hit up to 3300 rom and finally took off. Something is not right and I am not happy with my brand new car that I paid almost $19,000 for. I enjoy driving my 1991 Cadillac more than I do this new car and it is a heck of a lot faster than my Hyundai. I do love the MPG I get with the Hyundai... around 31 mpg on average versus 19 mpg on the Caddy.

I just don't know what is going on with my car. I am wondering if I need to get the computer reset or something?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is nothing to "reset".. the thing is running the program that was installed, and there is nothing at dealer level to be done to alter program to change shift points.. unless Hyundai Motor writes an update with changed parameters, you got what the program gives..

Turn the "ECO" off..

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
If you're like me, you bought the car new and then drove it easy for the first 1-3,000 miles, then decided it was broken in. Problem is, new cars learn the driver's habits and adjust accordingly, and your car said, "Hey, this is either an old lady or an old [email protected]" and adjusted...accordingly. It will take many, many driving cycles to get it to 'relearn' that you want some performance, dammit!!!

What I would do if it were mine would be to pull the disconnect the battery, have a couple beers or iced teas, maybe grill up a couple hamburgs or a rack of ribs and some corn on the cob, then reconnect the battery and take it out for a nice, long spirited drive. The computers will relearn your driving habits and get out of Old Fogey mode...

:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There is nothing to "reset".. the thing is running the program that was installed, and there is nothing at dealer level to be done to alter program to change shift points.. unless Hyundai Motor writes an update with changed parameters, you got what the program gives..

Turn the "ECO" off..

Thanks. I was unsure of that. Well I do not run it in ECO. I tried it once and it seemed to actually be about the same as far as performance as normal mode, but have not had it in ECO since. It will upshift faster when needed when in ECO, such as if I needed more power, it was like it was in normal mode. I would think the dealer could recommend something if I told them the car had no power. They would see what I was talking about when they drove it. I would take it back again and again, maybe I would end up with another car. :)

If you're like me, you bought the car new and then drove it easy for the first 1-3,000 miles, then decided it was broken in. Problem is, new cars learn the driver's habits and adjust accordingly, and your car said, "Hey, this is either an old lady or an old [email protected]" and adjusted...accordingly. It will take many, many driving cycles to get it to 'relearn' that you want some performance, dammit!!!

What I would do if it were mine would be to pull the disconnect the battery, have a couple beers or iced teas, maybe grill up a couple hamburgs or a rack of ribs and some corn on the cob, then reconnect the battery and take it out for a nice, long spirited drive. The computers will relearn your driving habits and get out of Old Fogey mode...

:D

Thanks. I was afraid that is what had happened and that is what I did. I babied the car for the entire time I have had it and now like I said up to 1050 miles or so and it is terrible. There is one hill I sometimes go up and unless I have put it in sport, I have to floor it to get it to downshift and go up the hill. I wish I had of known, the dealer told me nothing about this which is frustrating. I just drove the car easy, doing what I could to make it last longer, but it is actually ridiculous. I have had a lot of old cars in my lifetime and besides this car, the other new car was a '12 Honda Civic LX automatic which did not seem to have this issue and I babied that car for the first 1500 miles.

I may try that battery trick and see if that helps... if not I guess I will just have to drive it in sport mode all of the time and toggle between that and normal when on and off of the freeway. With that said, Hyundai may not be on my list again for the next new car. Times like this make me ask myself, should I have went with that new Camry/Corolla or Accord? Oh well.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Honda and Toyota have been in the small car business since after WWII (In Toyota's case, before WWII) and have gotten quite adept at squeaking power out of 4 cylinder cars. Honda even more so than Toyota. They realize Americans want some PEP out of their cars. Hyundai has not seem to caught on to this yet, albeit their cars are a lot better than they were even 15 years ago. I actually get better economy (relatively) out of my Fire Breathing Scion tC (2.4 Camry 4 banger) than my '09 Accent, and that's pressing it to 70 MPH all day. I will say one thing, however: I like the build quality of the Accent better.

It's just like my Toyotas from the 70's/80's! ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I drove my grandmothers '08 Sonata GL today (she asked me to run her on some errands) and it isn't the fastest car, but it is adequate. It is a very smooth riding car. MPG isn't that great, she only averages around 23.2 mpg. She said it used to get around 31 mpg on average, until they took it into the dealer for a repair a couple of years ago and she said they did something to the "muffler". I am not sure what she is talking about, but it really cut down the mileage she said by about 8-10 mpg.

*As far as my car goes, if I can stand to put up with it that long, I am going to ask them about my cars issue when I take it in for an oil change around 2500 miles, which would be about 1500 miles from now. I am just going to tell them that the car does not have any power in normal mode and what can be done? It has got worse since I bought the car obviously. It will get up and go in sport mode... I imagine it would be even better even in sport mode if it were better "trained".

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I drove a '15 Sonata rental all over the Sevier/Cocke County area last year, so I know exactly what you're complaining about. I think the problem is that the torque converter is locking too soon which is causing it to shudder at low speeds while under load. Toyota had a similar problem with the '12 Camry and had to do a massive campaign to reflash the lock-up points. They're trying to squeeze out the most mpg's as possible, but it's at the expense of driveability.

Reactions: Tennesseestorm

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is something wrong with your transmission if as you said in your post "I cannot leave in sport mode however because I do a lot of freeway driving and it will not shift into overdrive in sport mode, at least my car don't which I find odd?". I have a 2015 Sport 2.4L and drive mostly in sport mode, when I get on the Parkway and get up to 50 - 60 mph I'm in overdrive (6th gear) take your car to the dealer with your complaint of not shifting to 6th gear in sport mode at freeway speed

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drove a '15 Sonata rental all over the Sevier/Cocke County area last year, so I know exactly what you're complaining about. I think the problem is that the torque converter is locking too soon which is causing it to shudder at low speeds while under load. Toyota had a similar problem with the '12 Camry and had to do a massive campaign to reflash the lock-up points. They're trying to squeeze out the most mpg's as possible, but it's at the expense of driveability.
I completely agree with this. I feel like they're locking up the torque converter sometimes at 40km/h where most of the car's I've had lock up at 80km/h. This is causing the shuddering.

Does anyone know what kind of damage or wear is actually being done by this intended design that the engineers made?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the same problem. I noticed a problem when I left in the morning the car upshifts too soon and seemed to lug and loose power. Also when slowing the downshift was not smooth and seemed to press me into the seat belt. Both problems were fixed with the two updates to the ECM done by the dealer See the attached. Sorry if the picture is not displayed correctly - I sure would like an answer to that problem

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same problem. I noticed a problem when I left in the morning the car upshifts too soon and seemed to lug and loose power. Also when slowing the downshift was not smooth and seemed to press me into the seat belt. Both problems were fixed with the two updates to the ECM done by the dealer See the attached. Sorry if the picture is not displayed correctly - I sure would like an answer to that problem
I've had these updates done. I've even gotten it "re-flashed" after complaining that issues still persisted. It's still not the best. They still need to fix their software. I'm just worried about the wear on the power-train until they actually acknowledge these issues and fix it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sorry you are wrong see attached. These updates fixed my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is something wrong with your transmission if as you said in your post "I cannot leave in sport mode however because I do a lot of freeway driving and it will not shift into overdrive in sport mode, at least my car don't which I find odd?". I have a 2015 Sport 2.4L and drive mostly in sport mode, when I get on the Parkway and get up to 50 - 60 mph I'm in overdrive (6th gear) take your car to the dealer with your complaint of not shifting to 6th gear in sport mode at freeway speed

Hmm.. I thought that is how it was designed. Well I will definitely need to have it checked then. When on the freeway, I can get up to 70 mph and it will be running 2500 rpm and not upshift, but when I put back in normal mode, I will hear another shift and it will go down to about 1500 rpm. Obviously something is going on.

Yeah, that is exactly what it is like... the converter is locking too quick, causing low power and shudder/vibrations. I am not happy. I bought a brand new car to not have problems. I am happier with my '91 Cadillac as mentioned. Oh well. I loved my car, but I have a feeling it will not be mine for long. I hate the loss I will have to take on it. It is still like new though, 1050 miles. I know if I were to resell, I would lose at least $2500 or more, because I know I will not get my sales tax $ back. I may have to drive it for awhile and keep it as nice as I can to sell for as much as I can. Hopefully when the new Camry/Corolla comes out I will like those more and go that route. I love the features my Sonata has though for the money. I have just not been happy with the performance and the ride quality. My car seems to have a stiffer ride than most other SE models out there... that is a different story in another thread though. I really want to love my car, but this is not a good way to start out.

Hopefully they can get mine sorted out and I will like it. I wish I had of done something this week... I have been on vacation, but have been working on the house and Friday-Sunday going to visit relatives in South Carolina. I will not have a day off during the week until sometime in July. I may take it in then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The one I drove did not shift into 6th while in sport mode.

Reactions: Tennesseestorm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sport mode

Hmm.. I thought that is how it was designed. Well I will definitely need to have it checked then. When on the freeway, I can get up to 70 mph and it will be running 2500 rpm and not upshift, but when I put back in normal mode, I will hear another shift and it will go down to about 1500 rpm. Obviously something is going on.

I believe you are confused there's no way you could be doing 70mph @ 1500 rpms

Yeah, that is exactly what it is like... the converter is locking too quick, causing low power and shudder/vibrations. I am not happy. I bought a brand new car to not have problems. I am happier with my '91 Cadillac as mentioned. Oh well. I loved my car, but I have a feeling it will not be mine for long. I hate the loss I will have to take on it. It is still like new though, 1050 miles. I know if I were to resell, I would lose at least $2500 or more, because I know I will not get my sales tax $ back. I may have to drive it for awhile and keep it as nice as I can to sell for as much as I can. Hopefully when the new Camry/Corolla comes out I will like those more and go that route. I love the features my Sonata has though for the money. I have just not been happy with the performance and the ride quality. My car seems to have a stiffer ride than most other SE models out there... that is a different story in another thread though. I really want to love my car, but this is not a good way to start out.

Hopefully they can get mine sorted out and I will like it. I wish I had of done something this week... I have been on vacation, but have been working on the house and Friday-Sunday going to visit relatives in South Carolina. I will not have a day off during the week until sometime in July. I may take it in then.

Thanks!
I can get up to 70 mph and it will be running 2500 rpm and not upshift, but when I put back in normal mode, I will hear another shift and it will go down to about 1500 rpm. Obviously something is going on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I can get up to 70 mph and it will be running 2500 rpm and not upshift, but when I put back in normal mode, I will hear another shift and it will go down to about 1500 rpm. Obviously something is going on.

It may be more like 2000 rpms at 70. I will have to check, but there is no doubt it is not hitting that highest gear when in sport mode.

I actually drove it in "ECO" today. It shifts faster of course, but when I NEED it to upshift it is quicker to do so than when in normal mode.

I rented a 2015 Subaru Outback wagon for a trip this weekend (as I always do to keep miles/wear/tear down on my car) and it is amazing how much quicker that car seems than mine, but again I am sure it didn't get driven easy the first 1000 miles. ;)

There was a '15 Sonata SE on the rental lot... I ALMOST asked for that car for comparison, but it looked like someone had already rented it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wait, you just bought a brand new car and you leave it in the garage for a trip?

Complete opposite of me, I bought a new car to make road trips MORE enjoyable!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I rented a 2015 Subaru Outback wagon for a trip this weekend (as I always do to keep miles/wear/tear down on my car) and it is amazing how much quicker that car seems than mine, but again I am sure it didn't get driven easy the first 1000 miles.
New subaru's are nice but I hate those cvt transmissions. You know there would be a shift in a normal tranny but that thing whines up the rpm and is almost screaming.

Joys of servicing cars for national rentals, get to drive all the latest card in the fleet. The biggest pos are the Ford Festiva they're dumping those crap cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It may be more like 2000 rpms at 70. I will have to check, but there is no doubt it is not hitting that highest gear when in sport mode.

I actually drove it in "ECO" today. It shifts faster of course, but when I NEED it to upshift it is quicker to do so than when in normal mode.

I rented a 2015 Subaru Outback wagon for a trip this weekend (as I always do to keep miles/wear/tear down on my car) and it is amazing how much quicker that car seems than mine, but again I am sure it didn't get driven easy the first 1000 miles. ;)

There was a '15 Sonata SE on the rental lot... I ALMOST asked for that car for comparison, but it looked like someone had already rented it.
I actually feel the same. My car drives better with less jerks and better shifts in ECO than it does in Normal mode. I honestly think they need to get these things fixed via a software update. I don't know what kind of wear is being done to the transmission with these erratic shifting and shuddering/vibration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts