Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Santa Fe V6 GLS AWD. Starting getting an intermittent low oil light a couple days ago. Towed the car to a dealership where they replaced the sensor and performed and oil change. They checked the oil pressure and found it to be low. The low oil pressure light continues to come on. Low Pressure Light is off when started and running cold but then comes on at idle once warmed up and turns off when revving the engine past 1500 rpm. No engine noise or rattling at this time.

Dealer has indicated that it could be a oil pump but more likely to be an engine bearing problem that would require the replacement of the engine. They did check the oil for filings but found none. Oil pump replacement would be about $1500. Engine replacement around $3K.

Any advise or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The only real way to know what is going on is to authorize a partial disassembly of the engine. Your symptoms do sound like worn crankshaft and / or camshaft bearings. Typical causes are not changing the oil often enough and / or the engine being run low on oil. Some aftermarket oil filters can also cause lubrication issues in some engines.

High mileage vehicle? Original owner or purchased used?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
High mileage vehicle? Original owner or purchased used?
What he said...also what climate are you? A heavier oil will help some. Normally those motors are fairly bullet-proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Live in New England.

I was having oil changed regularly by a local shop. It looks like they were using 5W-30 oil. I didn't know that this car was so sensitive to oil type and filter.
The hyundia shop changed out the oil to 5w-20 and the oil light appears to come on a little more often. Should I change back to 5W-30?

Is there any issue with continuing to use the car until the engine dies?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Grey (and I) would like to know the mileage? If you plan on driving on luck (I would) use 5W-30 full syn and an OEM filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is an engine issue is it something that can be fixed or is it better and cheaper to replace the engine?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Depending on where you live I try some 5w-40 or 10w-40 oil.
The only real way to know what is going on is to authorize a partial disassembly of the engine.
This.
Pull the oil pan. Does this engine have separate bearing caps?
May need no more than some bearing inserts replaced.
In meantime 5w-40 or 10w-40 would buy some time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The longer you drive it without knowing what is going on the greater the risk of more damage occurring. What may be repairable now may not be 3,000 miles later.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts