Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'm new to the forum, so Hi all!
I'm currently having low oil pressure (light's on) at idle when the engine's warm. My car still is under warranty but the dealer just won't open the engine and see what's going on.

They changed the oil pressure swicth which didn't solve the problem. Then they told me my oil filter wasn't OEM and was causing the malfunction. I purchased their Hyundai oil filter and did the oil change myself. Still have the issue. Then they said the oil I put in was too thin! It was some 5w20 just like what is recommended per the manufacturer!

I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow and asked them to do a oil pressure check with a mechanical gage, change the oil for their stupid oil and change again the pressure switch. I want them to check the pressure while the oil is really hot and I expected the values to be out of range which to me, would point to a bad oil pump or worn out journal bearing. Is there anybody by any change who would have the acceptable pressure values?

Any other idea of what the problem might be? It's my 5th time to the dealer, I'm getting sick of them fooling around the car.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Low oil pressure, if it really is , is almost always worn connecting rod bearings on the crankshaft.

They need to do a manual gauge pressure check on hot oil. The oil needs to be t least 200F. I don't see how they can do it myself unless the install an oil pressure gauge and then drive around.

Bottom line is they are feeding you BS and avoiding the warranty issue. The oil filter will not cause a low pressure situation. The oil weight will if the bearings are worn, but as long as you use what they recommend they can't legitimately use that as an excuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low oil pressure, if it really is , is almost always worn connecting rod bearings on the crankshaft.

They need to do a manual gauge pressure check on hot oil. The oil needs to be t least 200F. I don't see how they can do it myself unless the install an oil pressure gauge and then drive around.

Bottom line is they are feeding you BS and avoiding the warranty issue. The oil filter will not cause a low pressure situation. The oil weight will, but as long as you use what they recommend they can't legitimately use that as an excuse.
But I presume they can't drive around with the gage installed unless it's wireless? otherwise they would need to feed the wire trought the firewall?

Do you have an idea of what the pressure reading should be? I'm sure they'll tell me everything's ok even if it isn't!

Also I told them about the journal bearing wear causing internal leakage hence low oil pressure. The answer I got is that everything's normal, otherwise the engine would knock, same for worn out pump. This is their only argument for not opening the engine.

I'm so mad at them, why not open the thing, its not even the dealership who'll pay the repair!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
The standard of the industry is 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Usually the oil light will come on at around 6-8 psi.

They can run a manual gauge but that would require tubing and removal of the OEM oil light sender.

On Hyundais the thread pitch for the OEM oil pressure light sender is 1/8"-28 BSPT. Not a USA pipe thread standard 1/8"-27 NPT. They more than likely do not have the equipment to do this.

Again they are BSing you as the oil light coming on means there is low pressure. How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The standard of the industry is 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Usually the oil light will come on at around 6-8 psi.

They can run a manual gauge but that would require tubing and removal of the OEM oil light sender.

On Hyundais the thread pitch for the OEM oil pressure light sender is 1/8"-28 BSPT. Not a USA pipe thread standard 1/8"-27 NPT. They more than likely do not have the equipment to do this.

Again they are BSing you as the oil light coming on means there is low pressure. How many miles on the engine?
117000kms - 73 000miles. The engine had rough days, it was pulling a travel trailer weighting less than the tow capacity, but still it was locked on 4th gear foot to the floor during those travels. So no wonder why there might be a bad bearing. But still, no engine knocking so they won't open it!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
If they don't help with warranty then go to a higher weight oil. It should cure the oil light problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they don't help with warranty then go to a higher weight oil. It should cure the oil light problem.
Yes, I'm sure as you are that higher oil weight will cure it, but they need to fix this with recommended oil weight even if it means putting a new engine. Higher weight oil will only be a quick fix to a bigger problem waiting to occur when I won't be on warranty!

I'll write a complaint to Hyundai Canada if they still have no clue what to do in a week or so. I can't believe people offer such a poor customer service when everythings covered by Hyundai Canada. Even the director of service doesn't give a "" about my problem. So frustrating!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Is 5w20 the only weight recommended? For the abuse you are giving the motor with the towing and getting the light in the winter in Canada there definitely is wear.

I'd be putting in 5w30 at a minimum or 5w40 oil.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The owner's manual for this vehicle is a little schizophrenic about its recommendations. BOTH of the following are included (attachments), though it is acknowledged that the 5W-20 is being recommended for mileage reasons. Sadly, I suspect much of this low viscosity business is being driven by U.S. CAFE standards.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Looks like my Gen Coupe turbo that came with 5w20 on the oil cap.

If the OP was driving pulling a trailer and had it floored then he should have not been using 5w20.

I use 5w20 year around in my '08 Accent but it seldom sees much load. Worst is 75 mph with the AC on and 95F outside.

If you are running at WOT that needs some higher than normal rpms or some HD oil. No overdrive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks like my Gen Coupe turbo that came with 5w20 on the oil cap.

If the OP was driving pulling a trailer and had it floored then he should have not been using 5w20.

I use 5w20 year around in my '08 Accent but it seldom sees much load. Worst is 75 mph with the AC on and 95F outside.

If you are running at WOT that needs some higher than normal rpms or some HD oil. No overdrive.
I agree maybe not the right oil weight was used for heavy servicing, but it was my parents car and they always did their oil change at the dealership back then. Their dealership was also aware of the load they were pulling as they changed the rear shocks twice because of that.

It hasn't been driven WOT for 2 years now since I have the car, so I'll keep up with the recommended stuff. Hyundai recommends Quaker States, but I asked them what they put in there just to be sure I buy the right oil next time and the guy could precisly state what oil they use! He said it was some Petro Canada 5w20 oil. I can't believe they blame me for using Penzoil Platinum when they put some cheap BS oil in there!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Quaker State is an average oil and I'm sure Hyundai gets a discount for the amount they buy and recommending it. Nothing special about it.

I would still go with a heavier oil if you plan on keeping it for a few more years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did they charge you for replacing the oil sensor? My dealer charged me over $400 to do it, and I thought it should be under the warranty.

Ron in Mass.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Did they charge you for replacing the oil sensor? My dealer charged me over $400 to do it, and I thought it should be under the warranty.

Ron in Mass.
Which engine you have that you state $400 ???

<<---- I dont see a 20xx Santa Fe 2.7 / 3.3 / 3.5 called out in profile to display in box under username,, or called in text of post...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure that your oil filter has the relief valve and support. Otherwise it will not build oil pressure at idle. We just had a customer come in with a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and their oil pressure light came on as soon as they left the quick oil shop. They immediately went back to the shop after driving just a short distance and the shop couldn't find anything wrong and sent them on their way.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Make sure that your oil filter has the relief valve and support. Otherwise it will not build oil pressure at idle. We just had a customer come in with a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and their oil pressure light came on as soon as they left the quick oil shop. They immediately went back to the shop after driving just a short distance and the shop couldn't find anything wrong and sent them on their way.
2.7 not concern for light with spin-on filter

3.3 we have to watch for dingleberry breaking stem off the core,, no o-ring at base of stem, chipped stem end,, or leaving core out all together..

3.5 we have to verify the filter has nipple on bottom with o-ring, and that the filter and nipple get index to canister proper before installing cap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts