Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a TV ad in the Puget Sound area for a 2013 Elantra for $12000! It was the same outfit, in 2009, that was selling TWO Hyundai Accents for......$14,000!
A really obnoxious salesman, but....... ducks on the pond......gold at the end of the rainbow....... free money!

·
22,793 Posts
If this is legit, and they are NEW, untitled 2013's, that sound like a good deal.

·
22,793 Posts
I agree with Rich, at that price I'd even buy another one!
I'm considering it after reading your comment. Wonder what the deal is? No A/C? Manual? Etc?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Hook, line and sinker.
"We sold that one but we do have others to show you".

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hook, line and sinker.
"We sold that one but we do have others to show you".
This. Or the other classic dealer bait and switch is lure you in on a new car (and one that may not even exist, mind you) with next to no profit in it and try to flip you into a used car that they took in for next to nothing and one in which they have thousands of potential profit. When I went car shopping for Emma, I seem to recall the salesman tried to flip me on a used car and as closers did that all the time for the three months I sold, I knew exactly what he was doing so I shot it down. Plus I was there for a new car, not a used one.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm sure you guys are correct. No doubts whatsoever. But if there were such an animal? And grandpa was looking to get his favorite girl a new car for graduation to take to college? Hmm... LOL

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Working in the car business I once knew a sales manager who liked putting big red HALF PRICE signs on new cars in the showroom. When asked about the deal, we were to explain with a straight face that the price was subvented by a 50% consumer-funded credit or something like that. In other words, you had to give a 50% deposit, and then you only owed another 50%. Half price.

He insisted that he was "just having fun with people". My point is not to overthink some of these too-good-to-be-true deals, because most of them aren't really intended to fool anyone.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
They run ads like that in the NY area all the time. Brand new Elantra for $8500! The catch - it's a lease - it costs you 8500 in cap and payments and then you return it at the end of 36 months. Taxes and fees additional.

There was a local ad saying "up to $8000 off a new Hyundai" - it was a 2012 Veracruz leftover. With all the perks for these oldies, 8000 off a nearly $40k car isn't all that much.

Still others are ads that have a disclaimer of "advertised price assumes $7000 in trade equity".

The ads are there to bring people into the showroom. Once you're there, you are directed to the stock units and you begin the negotiation process.

The programs on the Elantra are pretty good right now, but Hyundai doesn't have too much room between MSRP and what the dealer paid for the car. It's not like the domestic brands that give you $5k in wiggle room, where you think a Cruze/Focus for $4k off is a steal, when it still ends up coming in just over the Elantra at MSRP.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
There was a local ad saying "up to $8000 off a new Hyundai" - it was a 2012 Veracruz leftover. .
We just happened to be in the market for a black 2012 Veracruz last summer, and not only did our dealer find one but they also gave us an $8400 discount.

Some deals are for real. B)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We just happened to be in the market for a black 2012 Veracruz last summer, and not only did our dealer find one but they also gave us an $8400 discount.

Some deals are for real. B)
Yup. And there are still a lot of people who love the Veracruz and feel the new Supersanta Fe doesn't quite fill the shoes. That ended up as a good deal for someone who wanted a new Veracruz.

Auto sales ads are very tightly regulated and if you read the fine print, it includes all you need to know. They only need "one available at this price" to run the ad, and I don't think they need to disclose that it is currently at the bottom of Lake Michigan. :eek:

·
22,793 Posts
Auto sales ads are very tightly regulated and if you read the fine print, it includes all you need to know. They only need "one available at this price" to run the ad, and I don't think they need to disclose that it is currently at the bottom of Lake Michigan. :eek:
ROFL Truth in advertising, yes? Well, maybe Half-Truths in advertising. Seriously, have seen those ads with an itty-bitty print disclosing "Stock #****." Not plural, singular. Your job is to try and find the elusive stock #. They probably "just sold it...wish you had come in yesterday. We do have some others on the lot, nearly comparable and reasonably priced, for you to look at." Game on!!!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
When reading the ads, you need to be aware of typical industry jargon:

Blowout sale - The cars were used for practice by the local police department bomb squad training team, and the newest recruits were apparently all thumbs.

Liquidation sale - The cars were immersed for an indeterminate time in a liquid - probably corrosive.

Overstock sale - You get the car with the dead battery that is caked with several inches of tree sap and bird poop, and the interior has plenty of mildew because the last lot jockey that moved it in March left the window open.

One available at this price - It's a demo that the chain-smoking finance manager used for six months and it's untitled but has had a very hard life already. It has 4300 miles on it and it already needs a brake job on both axles.

Several others at comparable savings - The cars we will end up selling you that have a few thousand dollars worth of vin etching, fabric sealant, door edge guards, and pinstriping that is so expensive that they apparently used liquid heroin instead of paint.

Hurry! Sale Ends Tomorrow - Tomorrow never comes - 24 hours from now will be "today" when you think about it. Go down there anyway to choose your next new car, and make sure you have a good idea of how much you want to pay.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It's a demo that the chain-smoking finance manager used for six months and it's untitled but has had a very hard life already.
I think we knew the same F&I manager. Cruising along in a brand-new 1990 Nissan Pulsar with cigarette smoke filling the cabin, he suddenly does a u-turn over a curb, jams the automatic into "1", revs it up to 6,500 rpm until the limiter kicks in, and holds it there all the way up the street. He says there's nothing wrong with a Pulsar that a proper break-in can't fix.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Saw that same TV ad supporting the World Series., again, in the Puget Sound area for a 2013 Elantra for $12000! It was the same outfit, in 2009, that was selling TWO Hyundai Accents for......$14,000!
Same obnoxious salesman.......

·
Registered
639 Posts
I visited the another Nashville dealer (not the one we bought from) a few weeks ago. They had a Elantra GLS with Preferred Pkg. identical to ours which listed for $19,365 for $16,999. That was a good price and was legit, with 0% financing to boot.

If Nissan (corporate regional technicians are involved now) does not fix my Versa (CVT issues on a warranty replacement CVT after 6k miles), I might be in the market. They've had the car for 30 of the last 45 days or so. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the 2013 Altima Nissan loaned me, especially since we went to Washington DC and back in it. 1,800 miles and counting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts