Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
i10 - 2017 - Premium SE - Facelift
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

New to the forums and my first Hyundai. :)

Car is a 2017 Facelift - i10 - Premium SE with 17K on the clock.

Only picked up the car yesterday and noticed that the fuel gauge was on almost 0 - with it showing around 40 miles range left in the tank.

As I was was driving back, this dropped down to 37 miles, however I didn't get any bings/beeps/bongs from the dash to warn for low fuel either. Also the low fuel warning light was not illuminated.

Not wanting to risk and run out of fuel, i put £10 in just so I could get home to investigate. Its now showing 1/4 tank so I dont expect the low fuel light to come on at the moment.

When I turned on the ignition this morning I get the following lights light up, but not the low fuel warning - which I find odd.

1) Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
2) Do I need a software update from Hyundair or OTA?
3) At what point should the low fuel light come on?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
First of all I think it's disgusting to be sent out of a dealership like that and it has happened to me in the past picking up a car for the wife. I found myself in stop go rush hour traffic within half a mile with the fuel light flashing. Same happened when I was given a courtesy car from Vauxhall garage stuck in traffic again with this ominous flashing light. Personally I never let the tank go below a quarter and usually I top off the tank till the pump clicks when it gets to half. Fuel level sensors are notorious for inaccuracy and it's a good few miles before my fuel gauge drops below full. I think the i10 as a light car rides better with a tank reasonably full rather than sucking on fumes and whatever gunk lies at the bottom of the tank.
Certainly I hope to never see the low fuel light coming on particularly with E5 fuel and E10 coming soon. My advice to you is don't let yourself get to a position where that fuel light of yours come on. You'll never know how much fuel you have left until you actually end up at the side of the road so my advice is just keep your tank topped up.
Hyundai themselves don't even seems to be sure. Below is a paragraph I've copied and pasted from the handbook.

] NOTICE
• If the vehicle is not on level ground or
the battery power has been interrupted,
the “Distance to empty” function
may not operate correctly.
The trip computer may not register
additional fuel if less than 6 litres (1.6
gallons) of fuel are added to the vehicle.
• The fuel consumption and distance to
empty may vary significantly based
on driving conditions, driving habits,
and condition of the vehicle.
• The distance to empty value is an estimate
of the available driving distance.
This may differ from the actual driving
distance available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Thanks for your input.

I have booked it in to have it looked at - I am suspecting a new fuel sender unit will be required.

I found this pic on Autotrader -

8b42a993046f437fb3e1a3f64679bae7.jpg

I would have assumed when the fuel level reaches that low - the fuel light should be on? I am surprised it is not. (or maybe it has the same issue as mine?)

Can anyone chip in and let me know when the fuel light actually triggers - i.e. range left in the tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry I have no idea what amount of fuel is left when the light comes on. I'm not exactly sure why you want to find out either and let it go that low. I have never seen the thing lit up in my four years of ownership. The second picture you show with 00 on the display is Trip A which is a mileage trip meter for measuring journeys and is nothing to do fuel level.
Maybe your dealership will be more enlightened about the level when the light comes on because they seem to keep the fuel levels in their stock low. Presumably part exchanged car comes in and the owner has run the gas down and then nobody in the dealership is going to go down the gas station. Let us know what the dealer says, but it doesn't seem to me you have a problem. The fuel gauges are not that accurate.
When I turn the ignition on in the morning my fuel light does not illuminate like yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok - just to update - I decided to do a test and run the tank down as it was already booked into the dealers to have it looked at.

Astonishingly the light came on with 48 miles still left in the range - but no bong/ping to notify you - like it does when the snow symbol appears or if you leave the handbrake on.

IMG_20210416_202559 (Large).jpg

Maybe I was expecting the message "LOW FUEL" to appear in the cluster instead - like other cars I have owned in the past - (Hyundai take note!).

So I have decided to leave it for now. It seems to be working as expected - thanks for you input.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts