Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 Santa Fe and I never see a low fuel indicator light.. I have ran the fuel down to near zero and never see a indicator for low fuel. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (walterecoleman @ Jun 23 2010, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335669
I recently purchased a 2010 Santa Fe and I never see a low fuel indicator light.. I have ran the fuel down to near zero and never see a indicator for low fuel. Can anyone help me?
Just curious -- did you fill it when you were at the "near zero" point, and if so, how much were you able to get in?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It simply means you didn't get to the bottom yet. Your tank holds 18 gallons. Why don't you test it, find out? Carry a can of gas with you and run it till it's dry.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (walterecoleman @ Jun 23 2010, 04:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335672
I put in 14.866 gallons when I fueled up. Should I be able to see a warning light when I turn on the ignition and all of the indicator lights turn on?
The low fuel light is one of the few that doesn't test at key-on.

QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 23 2010, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335675
It simply means you didn't get to the bottom yet. Your tank holds 18 gallons. Why don't you test it, find out? Carry a can of gas with you and run it till it's dry.
Actually the new Santa Fe is 19.8 gallon tank so he still had almost 6 gallons left.

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE (walterecoleman @ Jun 23 2010, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335669
My low fuel light comes on when I have just under 3 gallons remaining in the tank (as most vehicles). According to the manual and hyundai service center the tank holds approx 17.9 gallons. He said the 19 gallon tank was erroneous information on many auto review sites which carried over to many readers thinking this to be FACT. It seems that if you just put about ten more miles on-your low fuel level light would have come on( since you added just under 15 gallons). Tedrik

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I got my info from MSN Autos which listed it as 19.8 gallons here but Hyundai USA's website says it's 18 gallons here so I guess they made it smaller due to the more fuel-efficient engines.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My low fuel warning light has never been on. No idea if it works. But I don't need it. I have a fuel gage. When it gets down to around 1/4, I fill up. :whistling:

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Jun 24 2010, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335955
My low fuel warning light has never been on. No idea if it works. But I don't need it. I have a fuel gage. When it gets down to around 1/4, I fill up. :whistling:
I completely agree! It's always good to fill-up when you get to approx. 1/4 tank-lessens the possibility of "crud" circulating or possible damage to catalytic convertor. I do the same-I did, however want to find out when the low fuel light came on and if it worked. I'll probably never see the light again as I will always fill up when I reach 1/4 tank, which is good advice. Thanks, Tedrik

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (tedrik @ Jun 24 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335867
My low fuel light comes on when I have just under 3 gallons remaining in the tank (as most vehicles). According to the manual and hyundai service center the tank holds approx 17.9 gallons. He said the 19 gallon tank was erroneous information on many auto review sites which carried over to many readers thinking this to be FACT. It seems that if you just put about ten more miles on-your low fuel level light would have come on( since you added just under 15 gallons). Tedrik
I have owned my 2008 santa fe for 18months.....low fuel light came on for the first time this weekend (dh was driving prior....i never let it get that low).....i immediately drove about a couple of miles to the gas station.....filled up just short of 16 gallons.....so if the light comes on at just below 3 gallons (i have not confirmed this info), then my santa fe can hold approximately just below 19 gallons.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I'm with most of you guys...when my gauge hits 1/4, I hit the pumps. Very rarely do I let it get below 1/8 and I've only seen my low fuel light twice in the last year. Every now and again I'll run it down to the light to make sure it works but other than that, I never see it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE (optionstrail @ Jun 24 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335970
I have owned my 2008 santa fe for 18months.....low fuel light came on for the first time this weekend (dh was driving prior....i never let it get that low).....i immediately drove about a couple of miles to the gas station.....filled up just short of 16 gallons.....so if the light comes on at just below 3 gallons (i have not confirmed this info), then my santa fe can hold approximately just below 19 gallons.
It could very well be that you have a 19 gallon tank (2008?). I have a 2010 which has the 17.96 gallon tank. The low fuel light is approximate with some variables/going uphill/downhill etc. when reaching APPROXIMATELY 3 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
90 Posts
fwiw, all things settle, so it doesn't much matter if the tank is full or running on fumes, the pump is still sucking from the same place. That's why there is a fuel filter between the pump and the engine, as well as one on the pump itself.

That being said, most in tank pumps rely on the fuel surrounding them to shed heat to in order to keep them cooler.

I average half a tank a week for work, so I just fill up on the same day every week on my way home. I also purchase from the same station every time.
Getting *about* 20 mpg with semi-city driving. Can't wait to take a trip and see what highway mileage is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (walterecoleman @ Jun 23 2010, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335669
If you push the reset button where it displays how many km/litre, there should be a Range of how many KM or Miles you can travel with the remaining fuel in your tank. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tested it out today on mine... once the gauge reads below what seemed like 30 gallons then it goes to just dashes and the light comes on... I went put gas maybe 2 minutes after and it took 16.1 gallons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (venetian @ Jun 25 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336228
If you push the reset button where it displays how many km/litre, there should be a Range of how many KM or Miles you can travel with the remaining fuel in your tank. I hope that helps.

Actually, it does not help because once the low fuel light comes on, the display switches to all dashes because they don't want you to know or something. At least that's the way it works on our Veracruz. On my 2008 Santy, I've never had the fuel light come on, even when the indicator is pretty much on empty. The most fuel I've put in is 16.4 gal. I have no idea if the low fuel light works or what my range would be if it were to come on or how much my tank holds. Thanks Hyundai, for protecting us from ourselves!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Brachiopod @ Jun 27 2010, 09:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336546
Actually, it does not help because once the low fuel light comes on, the display switches to all dashes because they don't want you to know or something. At least that's the way it works on our Veracruz. On my 2008 Santy, I've never had the fuel light come on, even when the indicator is pretty much on empty. The most fuel I've put in is 16.4 gal. I have no idea if the low fuel light works or what my range would be if it were to come on or how much my tank holds. Thanks Hyundai, for protecting us from ourselves!
If you think that's bad, you should drive a P38 Range Rover ('95 - '02). As soon as the gauge hits 1/8, the trip computer shows 'RANGE LESS THAN 50 MILES - PLEASE REFUEL'. Now that's unhelpful. :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts