Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having problems with their front bumper clearance. Its pretty low and I'm getting it scratched up with some paint off already. I may drive a bit rough at times but for the most part I do take it easy. Any ideas on how to protect that front bumper.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (nycsfx @ May 23 2010, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325590
Anyone having problems with their front bumper clearance. Its pretty low and I'm getting it scratched up with some paint off already. I may drive a bit rough at times but for the most part I do take it easy. Any ideas on how to protect that front bumper.
My last car was an Infiniti G35, which had a low front bumper (I think lower than the Sonata).

After scuffing the G a bit during my first few weeks, I got in the habit of staying back from curbs and cement parking blocks. After seven years, it pretty ingrained in me, so so far no scuffs on the Sonata.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (nycsfx @ May 23 2010, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325590
Don't know how to protect it. But I ran over a separated truck tire tread on Interstate 30 in Dallas. I was behind another 18 wheeler. When I saw it flipped in front of me kicked up by the truck in front. I slowed immediately from 70 to 50 mph, and had no choice but ran over it. Thanks to the shroud under the engine carriage, no visible damage until I drove home to inspect.

A cross bar just behind the catalytic converter was caught and bent 90 degrees. I had to remove it, banged with a hammer to as close to original as possible and remount. Yes, low under carriage is a problem, but thank goodness, Hyundai put a shroud under the engine compartment. I wasn't too upset. That piece is just to stop the cat from dragging the ground in case the exhaust pipe is severed but the cat will stay hanged by the cross bar, hopefully.

Low carriage is good for aerodynamic but not so good for maintenance. I have to jack the Sonata up to change oil. On my Toyotas, I just crawl under to remove the oil plug.

My $0.02

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ May 23 2010, 03:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325592
My last car was an Infiniti G35, which had a low front bumper (I think lower than the Sonata).

After scuffing the G a bit during my first few weeks, I got in the habit of staying back from curbs and cement parking blocks. After seven years, it pretty ingrained in me, so so far no scuffs on the Sonata.

My first week was **** with my Sonata too. I roughed up the bottom of the bumper pretty bad. Even as far as making a small hole in it!! Now I have gotten used to the low ground clearance and stay away from the curbs and the parking blocks as well. Eventually I will repaint it and make sure its as good as new.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (hancydan @ May 23 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325654
Low carriage is good for aerodynamic but not so good for maintenance. I have to jack the Sonata up to change oil. On my Toyotas, I just crawl under to remove the oil plug.
Yeah, noticed the Sonata is better covered under the car than my M3 :thumbsup: . BUt you're right; it's going to be a PITA to do any maintenance. In order to be able to lift the car from the center I'll have to put it on ramps first, to remove all that plastic crap. Also noticed there's like a lid on the undercarriage for the oil drain plug, since it's at the rear of the oil pan. At least the oil filter is reachable, but I'll need one of those socket filter adapters which I'm not fond of, so will probably remove the belly pan for oil changes; what a PITA. On all my other cars I just crawl under, without even having to lift them, including the super low M3.

And yes, this car is VERY low for a family sedan; it's only an inch higher than the M3, but just like somebody commented, I've been used to very low sports cars for a while, so not a problem for me. Just told today to my wife and daughter they have to be very careful, since they're used to drive an SUV. Today let my daughte drive it, and after yelling to stop, she finally obeyed me after the 3rd time. She said curb was behind the bumper. I told her she didn't hit the bumper, but was definitely over the curb. And she was over the curb, by about A FOOT. Would have destroyed the bumper with a regular parking stop; hope she learned the lesson, but I'm already mentally prepared to one of these days see a big scrape under the bumper :grin: . At least nobody else drives my nice cars :bwekk: , but it's always painful to unneccesarily scrape a car for not paying attention IMO.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yup, laid down and looked under my bumper the other day and there are a number of small nicks and scratches. like i posted in another thread i think it happened before i got the car (ie test drives).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I scraped mine on a steep driveway incline when I was doing a y turn on a City street. I am kind of worried about how this is going to affect driving in snow as my street tends to not get plowed in a timely manner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bit me today. Forgot there was a stop in front of my parking space and started to pull through. Heard a lot of scraping and popping noise. It actually broke the bumper cover away from the tab piece on the driver side. BUMMER!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm used to driving lowered cars as well so the sonata is a breeze for me....but the low bumper is what makes the front end of the sonata look so good so let's not hope the car was any higher!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Company requires us to back into stalls or pull all the way through. I hate yet to hit a curb or bumper block. I stay away from them in fear and I also park out at the end of lot and walk so I can avoid door dings.

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE (jtfortin @ May 26 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326498
I am kind of worried about how this is going to affect driving in snow as my street tends to not get plowed in a timely manner.
i'm concerned about this as well because i don't have the option of calling in to work. the 15 year old car i had before this i never had one issue driving regardless of snow/ice level. i'm not sure that is going to be the case with the sonata.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts