Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle is a 2005 Hyundai Accent GLS with 38,000 miles.

I recently had work done on my rear brakes after having a pretty horrific, loud metal-on-metal grinding/screeching sound. - the pads are still at 60 percent so they did not put on new pads, but they did a rear brake adjustment, shaved the rear rotors, etc.

That horrible sound is gone, but it has been replaced by a low-frequency groan from the rear brakes under hard stopping, from about 10mph down to 0mph. I honestly could not even hear it myself with the radio on but noticed it when coming to a stop without the radio on. It usually stops happening after a couple hard stops, then happens again the next time I get in the car and go somewhere.

To describe the sound, under those exact braking conditions it almost sounds like what driving a car through snow sounds like. Or a shoveling snow sound, minus the sound of the shovel itself hitting the ground. I am not noticing any corresponding vibration or decrease in stopping power.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but it's the best I can do. Could it simply be rust buildup working its way out? We have had a wet, cold, snowy winter and my car is parked outside every night overnight.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like you had the usual problem of the edge of the drum mushrooming into a lip with age and wear. makes it an ass to get the drums off! i just take that off with a dremel myself as that surface that builds up does not contact the pads - until it builds up really bad like yours :)

if they did like what i do, you might have a bit of uneven surface contacting the brake shoes. i do recognize the sound you are describing from my own experiences.

i wouldn't worry about it until it gets worse. always sorted itself out for me once the pads and rotors wore into each other after my grinding.

another option is the shoes could be glazed or have other crap embedded in them. glazed, sometimes you can take some light sandpaper and remove that. embedded crap you're stuck getting new shoes.

but again, i would wait it out. i've got over 260k kms on my accent and i still have the original brake shoes in the rear drums....i do check them and they are still well above the service limit thickness.

·
22,788 Posts
i've got over 260k kms on my accent and i still have the original brake shoes in the rear drums....i do check them and they are still well above the service limit thickness.
That's impressive. You should get the "Best use of brakes in a stopping scenario" award! :trophy:

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have also noticed from my own experience that the lip of rust that developes on the drum could contact the rust that also can form on the backing plate causing noise. i agree with zero about the shoes but, also i would check that the rear brakes are not adjusted too tight!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
i've got over 260k kms on my accent and i still have the original brake shoes in the rear drums....
//////////
OkieRich wrote:
That's impressive. You should get the "Best use of brakes in a stopping scenario" award!
//////////
litesong wrote:
Rich..... That would be the "Best LACK OF USE of brakes in a stopping scenario" award!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like you had the usual problem of the edge of the drum mushrooming into a lip with age and wear. makes it an ass to get the drums off! i just take that off with a dremel myself as that surface that builds up does not contact the pads - until it builds up really bad like yours :)

if they did like what i do, you might have a bit of uneven surface contacting the brake shoes. i do recognize the sound you are describing from my own experiences.

i wouldn't worry about it until it gets worse. always sorted itself out for me once the pads and rotors wore into each other after my grinding.

another option is the shoes could be glazed or have other crap embedded in them. glazed, sometimes you can take some light sandpaper and remove that. embedded crap you're stuck getting new shoes.

but again, i would wait it out. i've got over 260k kms on my accent and i still have the original brake shoes in the rear drums....i do check them and they are still well above the service limit thickness.
Thanks so much for the response! I am going to try to wait it out as you suggested. Drove it my normal 35 miles to work this AM and it only did it for maybe the first 2-3 full stops, so it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

In your experiences, how long did it take the pads and rotors to wear into each other?

·
22,788 Posts
My past experiences have been about 2-3 weeks of "normal" stop and go driving and the things seem to work themselves into a boring routine.

·
22,788 Posts
litesong wrote:
Rich..... That would be the "Best LACK OF USE of brakes in a stopping scenario" award!
More accurate title for the award, now that you mention it. :grin: One thing is for certain, we know which brakes are accepting most of the stopping responsibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after a couple months of the sound going away, it has come back - kind of. I am hearing a pretty loud squeal from my back breaks the first few times I come to a complete stop after having the car turned off. Even if the car has only been off for a half-hour or so.

This just started back up a couple of days ago - we have had an exceptionally brutal winter here - lots of cold, snow, and ice. Could this be rust that just has to wear off, or should I be concerned? Last time I had the back brakes checked (2 months ago) the pads were still at 60 percent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts